Thread: Dmt

Default Dmt

Hello all,

When honing with a DMT diamond plate (D8EE), do I need to soak it in the water before? DMT says that you can hone dry or with water, but which one is the best (for my straight and my hone)?
    [B][SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]Verminisjk[/FONT][/SIZE][/B] "I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now" "The voices in my head disagree" Good shave gents, may life smile at you [COLOR="Green"]English isn't my native language, If you see some really bad grammar mistake, feel free to tell me: I love to learn:001_smile[/COLOR]

Images

You don't need to soak it, only some porous ceramic hones need to be soaked (like the Nortons). I've read several times that water with a drop of detergent is recommended (by DMT presumably). The detergent will break the surface tension preventing the water from beading up. That's what I've been doing and it's worked fine.
    Björn

Quote Originally Posted by bjrn View Post
    I've read several times that water with a drop of detergent is recommended (by DMT presumably).
    Yep, when I received my DMT a week or so ago it came with a big note on the front saying it works best with a bit of detergent mixed in with the water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moog101 View Post
    Yep, when I received my DMT a week or so ago it came with a big note on the front saying it works best with a bit of detergent mixed in with the water.
    Some guys over at SRP said to use soapy water. I guess that's the same thing as detergent. If the hone makes your edge too abrasive, they said to use more soap to smoothen it out a bit.

thanks
    [B][SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]Verminisjk[/FONT][/SIZE][/B] "I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now" "The voices in my head disagree" Good shave gents, may life smile at you [COLOR="Green"]English isn't my native language, If you see some really bad grammar mistake, feel free to tell me: I love to learn:001_smile[/COLOR]

Images

I've only used a splash of water with my DMTs but if you have the dish soap handy then a drop or so sounds like a good idea.
    - Rob
    LIMEY

Limey: My Gear