What's new

Neck area irritation - help me solve this puzzle once and for all

I've found that using a fragrance-free shaving soap also helps along with a cool water shave. Also I will use an alum block after rinsing my face with cold water, then rinse off and use some Nivea Sensitive face after shave balm as an after shave.

The short version is +1 for careful beard mapping, cold water touch ups, and alum block.

I took several tries to really fully grasp how complex my beard growth pattern was below the jaw. I have 4 large swathes of different growth directions and a couple of knots where things are just kind of weird and unorganized. North - south, and east - west ideas of beard grain have no relationship whatsoever to my actual face.

The alum block really helps calm the skin, stop any weepers, and gives me great feedback on where I've been too aggressive. It both heals and teaches. The one thing I've noticed is that if I don't rinse the alum off after a few minutes, my face can get a little itchy.

After I do my major passes, I splash my face thoroughly with cold water and get really wet slick lather on the places I want to touch up. I also run my razor under cold water long enough for it to get pretty cold. If you watch nickshaves on youtube, I use his touch up method where the off hand is full of lather and you use that to feel for and slick up the spots that need touch up.

Thanks for all the great tips, guys!

Here's what I'm thinking of trying based on all your recommendations:

1. Apply my AoS pre-shave oil
  2. Shave WTG (1st pass)
  3. Shave WTG with light skin-stretching (2nd pass)
  4. Cool water rinse
  5. Apply witch hazel
  6. Apply alum block
  7. Cool water rinse

Should I use both the witch hazel and alum block? By the way, I have never even heard of both of these.

I'm thinking of trying this procedure out first and then next time I shave perhaps see how my neck fares by going XTG and maybe with light-skin stretching. Should I replace this step with my step #3 of WTG and light skin-stretching or make it be in addition to my two WTG passes - making three passes in total?

I don't go ATG on my neck at all. Two WTG passes with some light skin-stretching only on the 2nd pass. A wise man once posed the question "Do you really need a BBS neck?" The answer, at least for me, is no. BBS everywhere else with a CCS on the neck is A.) comfortable and B.) no one will notice the difference, but they will notice a bloody, irritated neck.

Why only light skin-stetching on 2nd pass?

I dealt with some neck irritation for years, it wasn't until I moved to straight razors that it was gone forever.

I dealt with some neck irritation for years, it wasn't until I moved to straight razors that it was gone forever.

One step at a time! I just started my DE wet shaving journey...

Looks good! I think some moisturizer might be good at the end, or maybe before bed if you have one you like.

Any moisturizer in particular? I have quite a while to recover my razor burns or bumps since I only shave on Sundays - unless I have a big presentation or seeing a client or my wife forces me for an event (which is almost never because she likes the scruffy look).

Also, is it a good idea to use both the witch hazel and alum block?

Any moisturizer in particular? I have quite a while to recover my razor burns or bumps since I only shave on Sundays - unless I have a big presentation or seeing a client or my wife forces me for an event (which is almost never because she likes the scruffy look).

Shea butter has been working for me. YMMV since it depends on your skin. I got a good size tub for $10. Should last me like a year. Seems like a lot of moisturizers use this.

It's true. I couldn't go ATG on the neck until I started using an unguarded DE razor (devette). If you can control it, a bare blade produces the least irritation.

To the OP: You might try going midway between XTG and ATG on your second neck pass. For me, that translates into diagonal strokes, but everyone is a little different. You may find it more effective than two WTG passes and still avoid irritation. Good luck!

Currently, I use both followed by ASB. After my final pass, I rinse with cold water, apply the alum block, clean my brush, rinse face with cold water, allow face to dry, apply WH, allow to dry, apply ASB.

I've read a lot of post where others do to. I'm still new at this, so I really can't say if it makes much of a difference. Once my technique improves, I'll likely experiment with using just one and using neither to see if it makes a difference. In the end, I want t use as few products as I can.

Probably will sound too simple and not much help but - I don't have any problems when using Feather blades with the cheap plastic Feather razor.

I have finally accepted that I can't go ATG on my neck but maybe once a week. Any more than that and it seems like the irritation just builds and builds with each pass. I have to make several passes at different variations of XTG.

If your bear grows in numerous directions then this will be more difficult to resolve, so mapping out your growth will make it easier to figure out why this is happening. Assuming you know your growth directions...

It's just a fact that many of us just can't shave ATG - esp on the lower neck. The irritation is just not worth it. In my case I do two passes. First pass: WTG all over. Then on the second pass: it's XTG on cheeks/jaw/just under the jaw and WTG another time on the lower neck) and that's it. Yes, my lower neck isn't BBS or maybe not even DFS - it's probably a CCS - but the rash/irritation is far worse looking than a micro-stubble on my lower neck. The rest of my face is DFS and that's plenty fine cuz I shave 7 days a week with no irritation issues this way. The obsession for BBS all over is not justified if it results in rash and misery after.

Good luck and report back. We'll help you figure this out!

Instead of ATG, have you tried a diagonal pass that goes WTG/ATG?

+1.
ATG is pretty irritable IMO.
WTG/XTG should be better, along with a lighter touch.
OP is looking for products,. but I don't think that will help...all the post shave treatments do is RELIEVE some of the irritation, but better technique should prevent the irritation in the first place.

What works for me though is, 1 WTG pass, 1 XTG pass, followed by a touchup with my cart (rinse and reapply lather in between each pass of course). In doing so, I get a little closer with each pass, but no pass is meant to be especially close. Before doing this, I was ready to give up on DE, as I had at least as much irritation as with carts, with the added negative of nicks. Now I don't even need any post shave products at all, theyre just for fun ;) haven't used alum, styptic, witch hazel etc in months.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've only recently found myself able to shave ATG on my neck without irritation. Here is my best advice, which will sound something like a summary of what's already been said (and keep in mind that YMMV).

1. Beard mapping is critical. My neck (and many others') get wild and crazy. Half my upper neck runs N-S, and the other half runs left to right. Around my adam's apple, my beard grows in towards my adam's apple. Pretty weird, but I finally figured it out, and life got better.

2. Be VERY careful about angle and pressure. Both are very difficult around the neck. It's awkward to hold proper position, so be very cautious and conscious. I thought I was doing okay, but I still would get some redness if I tried ATG around my neck. When I recently got to try a slant for a couple of weeks, I discovered that I most certainly was being sloppy around my neck. I paid careful attention to what I was doing, and my technique improved. Things are much smoother now.

3. Try different blades. Many folks swear by Astra SP, but they aren't for everyone. They aren't for me; that's for sure.

4. Try a different soap or cream, also. While I hear fine things about AoS products, I rarely see them brought up when folks discuss the slickest, best products out there. I've fallen madly in love with Stirling, Barrister & Mann, Catie's Bubbles, and Mike's Natural products. I also get great shaves from MWF, Arko, Cella. I've had some great shaves with Strop Shoppe samples, too, and I need to follow up more, there. Get some samples and see if something works better.

5. Heal up a bit before getting aggressive on your neck, again. If you've been getting irritation every day, then you're already predisposed to more. Just go WTG on your neck for a couple days, or skip a day altogether if you can manage it. You might be amazed at how comfortable a shave you will have after that.

6. Manage your expectations. Many folks cannot go ATG everywhere. Even though I now do it on my neck, I still do not even think about going ATG on my mustache area and lower lip. I'll take a more comfortable shave over a closer one any day of the week.

With regard to your question about alum and WH, play around and do what works for you. Neither option is very expensive. Try each on its own and try them both together. I used to use both (alum, then WH, then AS splash), but I never tried to use only one. One day, I just forgot the alum. I found that the world didn't end and that I had a fine post-shave feel, so I've dropped the alum from my routine and go just with WH and AS splash. I have noticed a bad effect when I've forgotten the WH, so I've stuck with it.

Finally: Have fun, man! :thumbup:

I would just start with witch hazel if you have irritation. Alum is kind of like salt. It's great for tightening the skin after you shave, but when I have irritation, I don't use it because it just seems to make things a little worse for me. I would recommend getting a flavored witch hazel (like lemon or something) because the plain stuff at the drug store has a bit of a funky odor. You might have to go to one of those "shampoo emporiums" (that's what I call them anyway) that sell all kinds of drug store stuff except aren't actual drug stores.

Also, for those emergencies, I apply some Visene (a few drops goes a pretty long way). Redness is gone before I get to work.

Agree with all the above. The right side of my neck has always been difficult. The grain on the left side of my neck is nice and consistent and I can whip any razor/blade over it with my eyes closed and get a good shave, but the right side is a nightmare. I've found the following to help:

Milder razor with sharp blade, but probably not a Feather.
Map the growth and shave WTG and XTG at various angles
Experiment with "bullfrogging", skin stretching, j-hooking, short & long strokes....ie whatever works for you.
Use a light touch. You may have to try shaving with a really aggressive razor to learn what a light touch really is. Fatips are cheap.
Preshave oil or other preshave for a bit more slickness & cushion. I think this allows a bit more margin for error.
Aftershave really depends on your skin. I wipe with Tend Skin and then use Razorock Problem solver, but I really don't get irritation anymore although ingrowns are still a possibility.

Going ATG on the right side of my neck without irritation has been the challenge for me since I first started shaving. Switching to a DE razor about 2 years ago was a small improvement, but I'd still get some bad irritation on certain days due to bad prep and bad technique.

Now, it's much better. I do a 3-pass shave 6 days per week with little to no irritation on that side of the neck. The routine that has evolved over time which has resulted in a comfortable neck:

- coconut oil pre-shave; extra virgin unrefined coconut oil moisturizes and protects the skin on my neck

- quality soap (Tcheon Fung Sing, Razorock, Kiss My Face) whipped into a rich, almost pasty lather; no runny suds

- apply lather for any and all touch ups, DO NOT pass the blade over the area without brushing on some more lather

- very shallow blade angle + very light pressure; glide the blade/razor over the area with a slow, even stroke

- quality, sharp blade (Kai, Bolzano, Personna Super Blue, Gillette Silver Blue) loaded into a mild razor (Super Speed, EJ89)

- witch hazel splashed on after cold water rinse

Good Luck!

Top Bottom