What's new

Feather AS-D2

In keeping with the YMMV axiom, it seems that my experience with the AS-D2 has been quite different than many on this forum. I acquired my AS-D2 a couple weeks ago and almost immediately found this razor's sweet spot. In fact, I find that this razor removes hair just as efficiently as my other razors (including my Weber and Wolfman OC), expect for maybe my NEW LC. The shaves I've been getting with the AS-D2 are so close and comfortable that I have had to make an effort to not use the AS-D2 while I acquaint myself with my other newly-acquired razor, the Wolfman OC.

I had purchased the AS-D2 thinking that I would try it, not like it, and sell it for a small loss. (This assumption was based on my experience with the Feather Popular, which doesn't work well for me.) Not only will I not be selling the AS-D2, but this razor poses a serious threat to the other razors in my modest collection and makes me question whether it can coexist in a rotation with razors that don't quite provide the same blend of closeness and comfort. Of course, I don't plan on selling my other razors anytime soon, but the minimalist in me would be perfectly content with having the AS-D2 as my only razor.

OK, let me say that I am impressed by the fact that you have been a member since Nov. 2013 and in that time you have made a total of three posts. You are a man of a few words, and that likely means your saying something worth saying.

And your quote above shows that indeed the assumption is true.

I hope to one day acquire a Feather three piece razor as well as a vintage Feather TTO, I am still looking for the right price. When I do the razor will have to beat out an absolutely fabulous razor, the Gillette NEW. If it can beat the NEW it will have become a favorite and enter into my daily rotation. But all signs point to it being VERY similar to the Gillette Tech razor in performance.

Perhaps I am wrong, I wont know for sure till I have tried it for myself, but that is my opinion as of right now.

I look forward to finding one to try one day.

Hi, You mentioned wanting to find a vintage TTO Feather. I wasn't aware there is such a thing. I'm glad you pointed it out. I have the plastic Feather. What is the vintage Feather like: all metal, metal plastic? If you know of more info I would greatly appreciate it. Of course, this all may be common knowledge and I'm unaware of it. So far, I just knew of the plastic and the really, really, too expensive for me other one. Thanks :thumbup1:

Great thread.

I agree that the Feather AS-D2 does not get the respect it deserves on this forum.
Guys on here want ultra aggressive lawnmowers it seems.

After dabbling in the DE world for a year and experimenting with a few different razors and blade combinations. I realized how much I loved the Feather blades. They were sharp, smooth and cut just right.

So I decided to order the Feather Popular Razors off ebay (3 for $29 - gave 2 to friends who wanted to try out DE shaving)
Wow. This razor was amazing for the price. Well built, well designed, very smooth, forgiving and solid.
There was no razor chatter like I experienced in my first butterfly Parker. It was smoother then my Merkur. It was good.

A few weeks ago somebody posted the Feather AS-D2 deal on Massdrop for $148.
I was in. Couldn't click buy fast enough. (check out that site if you get a chance, the mods block any links to it right away but they always have amazing DE deals).

I'm waiting for this razor to arrive, but I am convinced it is the best razor ever made, and the last one I will own.
But let's see.

Last point to note, there are great deals on Feather blades on ebay. 100 for $24 from Thailand.
I have both the black and yellow Feather boxes and as far as I can tell, there is no discernible difference between the blades, at all.
This seems to be a regional packing/marketing thing.

Last edited:
pakmode, welcome to the forum.

Black and yellow indicate 5-blade packs and 10-blade packs, respectively. You are correct that the blades themselves are exactly identical.

After dabbling in the DE world for a year and experimenting with a few different razors and blade combinations. I realized how much I loved the Feather blades. They were sharp, smooth and cut just right.

So I decided to order the Feather Popular Razors off ebay (3 for $29 - gave 2 to friends who wanted to try out DE shaving)
Wow. This razor was amazing for the price. Well built, well designed, very smooth, forgiving and solid.
There was no razor chatter like I experienced in my first butterfly Parker. It was smoother then my Merkur. It was good.

It is amazing to me that the Feather and the cheap Feather razor are so well matched and how well they do. I love mine. It's by far the best combination for me.

I'm sure we're all different. Perhaps what is important is that each finds and enjoys what is best for them. That's part of what makes the journey so much fun.

Only razor I use now...got rid of everything else. Perfectly complemented by Feather blades, just wish the blades didn't have goo that makes the head all sticky.

pakmode, welcome to the forum.

Black and yellow indicate 5-blade packs and 10-blade packs, respectively. You are correct that the blades themselves are exactly identical.
The yellow have wax, (copiously annoying amount of wax) and the black do not.

When I first got the Feather I was disappointed with it. However, once I changed the angle I began to like it. It is a quality razor - well made - and once you master it the razor becomes a great razor.

Great thread.

A few weeks ago somebody posted the Feather AS-D2 deal on Massdrop for $148.
I was in. Couldn't click buy fast enough. (check out that site if you get a chance, the mods block any links to it right away but they always have amazing DE deals).

I'm waiting for this razor to arrive, but I am convinced it is the best razor ever made, and the last one I will own.
But let's see.

To clarify the policy of B&B on Mass Drop and similar sites. You can post ONE Mass Drop buy in the Shopping and Deals fora. It is multiple posts dealing with the same drop and posts in other fora such as the DE Razor forum that are not permitted.

I have consistently been getting the best shaves I've ever had with my AS-D2. I totally didn't see this coming when I purchased the AS-D2 a couple weeks ago, but I'm going to be selling some of my other razors. I should have purchased an AS-D2 years ago.

I have consistently been getting the best shaves I've ever had with my AS-D2. I totally didn't see this coming when I purchased the AS-D2 a couple weeks ago, but I'm going to be selling some of my other razors. I should have purchased an AS-D2 years ago.
By any chance do you also have the plastic version? I'd really be interested in knowing how they compare with each other.

By any chance do you also have the plastic version? I'd really be interested in knowing how they compare with each other.

Yes, I also have the plastic/stainless TTO version, which many refer to as the Feather Popular. I use the Popular as my travel razor.

The shaves I get from the two razors are both extremely comfortable, but I find the AS-D2 to be much more efficient. The AS-D2 removes as much hair per pass as any of the other razors I have or have owned, while the Popular takes considerably more passes to get the results I'm after. I'm curious to see if my shaves with the Popular improve after using the AS-D2 for a while due to their similar shaving angles.

The Popular is surprisingly well made for its price and I have purchased several over the years to give as gifts to non-DE shaves (who have all become DE converts!).

Yes, I also have the plastic/stainless TTO version, which many refer to as the Feather Popular. I use the Popular as my travel razor.

The shaves I get from the two razors are both extremely comfortable, but I find the AS-D2 to be much more efficient. The AS-D2 removes as much hair per pass as any of the other razors I have or have owned, while the Popular takes considerably more passes to get the results I'm after. I'm curious to see if my shaves with the Popular improve after using the AS-D2 for a while due to their similar shaving angles.

The Popular is surprisingly well made for its price and I have purchased several over the years to give as gifts to non-DE shaves (who have all become DE converts!).

Thanks for the reply. I love the Popular. The AS-D2 isn't anywhere near to a reality for me. Maybe someday ...

Top Bottom