What's new

Dilon's Small Batch Rose Gin

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It took close to two years, but I finally finishing my 1.75 litre bottle of Bombay Sapphire. Decided not to repurchase but rather to try a different kind. I'm not an experienced gin guy (except it seems, with Sapphire :lol:), and asked a lady at the LCBO (our provincial liqueur retailer) what was the difference between Gordons, Beefeater and Tanqueray. She didn't know but then we saw a Dillon's Rose and I gave that a shot, even though it was almost 2x the price of the others for the 375ml bottle. Having it made locally in the Niagara region was a bonus as I try to support small business when I can, just like with my shaving soap choices!

Not much scent from what is supposed to be infused with rose hips and rose petals and such, and the taste straight up seems like a very muted whiskey in flavour. Mixed with tonic water, it now takes on a Zinfandel pale rose look, but the taste is nondescript to me.

I've only had two glasses yesterday while relaxing in the backyard after putting up the hammock, so it's a little eary to tell wheter this will grow on me or not. Anyone else try this?
proxy.php

Never heard of it before. From the description on their site, it seems like its an aperitif. It also appears that the base is not a neutral spirit like Gin is. Their website says its rye. You would probably serve in a smallish shot size glass to sip. Similar to Limoncello etc. You could also mix with a bit of soda water. I like to do that with Campari.

No doubt this is probably a very tasty spirit, however from the description, it really isn't Gin as we would classify it today.

If you are not a big Gin drinker, or just drink slowly in general, Hendricks or The Botanist would be two that you might be interested in. Both are on the "higher end" of the Gin spectrum, and are best enjoyed stirred with some ice and strained, in a Martini or with a splash of tonic or soda.

My go to gin is Beefeater. Compared to your Bombay Sapphire, it is going to be much more "perfumey". Bombay is kind of subdued in its botanicals. Beefeater's come out of the glass and punch you in the face.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
So I wasn't totally off-base with my "muted whiskey" detection. Maybe I'm not a total doofus. :001_rolle I found it tasted better straight up compared to the tonic water mix, so I'll go that route as well. We do have a nice sized bottle of Lemoncello as well in the fridge, but SWMBO finds it too sweet. Hey, at least it's better than grappa. :lol:

Appreciate the feedback. I'll give Beefeater a go once this is gone.

I have a small bottle of rose vodka made by Shakers (strange stuff if you ask me) but I've never seen that brand of gin. Kudos to you for supporting a small local company, I try and do the same.

Gin.

Cold and neat.

That reminds me of a friend of mine. He was tending bar at a restaurant we worked at. A customer kept sending back his Martini saying it wasn't dry enough. Finally my friend got fed up, went to the table and said "if you want a f***** glass of gin just order one!"

My friend is a big guy, and the customer ordered a glass of gin

Last edited:
That reminds me of a friend of mine. He was tending bar at a restaurant we worked at. A customer kept sending back his Martini saying it wasn't dry enough. Finally my friend got fed up, went to the table and said "if you want a gosh darned glass of gin just order one!"

My friend is a big guy, and the customer ordered a glass of gin

Perfect.

Top Bottom