What's new

1938-1945 Triangular Slot Gillette Techs

I have to ask for your help: Are the 1938-1945 Fat Handle Techs with triangular slots more efficient/aggressive than the 1960s oval-slot Techs? I have an opportunity to pick up one of these. I found the Techs I've owned, from 1966 to 1973, were too mild for me; and thought this earlier model Tech might be more efficient. Thanks, guys.

Even the earlier post war Techs (late '40s and '50s) are more efficient, IMO.

The '60s and '70s Techs with the faceted Zamak caps, are way too mild. YMMV.

Even the earlier post war Techs (late '40s and '50s) are more efficient, IMO.

The '60s and '70s Techs with the faceted Zamak caps, are way too mild. YMMV.

Edgar, I was hoping you'd respond. If anyone knows Techs... Looks like I'll say 'Yes' to this historic razor. Perhaps I can call this the first ture-to-KC Gillette Tech I'll have owned. Thank you!

I agree with Edgar. I would buy old ones and stay away from newer ones.

If I recall correctly, you've commented favorably on using pre-war Techs. Count me in. 'Bout to order my first 1938-'45 Tech. Thank you for responding.

All goes as planned, I should have my first 'real' Tech shave next weekend. The razor shows its years of use and its history. I could have it replated, but I don't want to cover its history. I'm sure you guys understand. Perhaps it's respect for those who came before us.

Last edited:
I feel it is way too light but, efficient. I put my ATT Kronos handle on and that shaves better. YMMV!

Pics... did someone say pics? ;-)

Yes the prewar models are a little more aggressive (less mild?)
I also think the English flat-bottoms are just a bit more aggressive than the prewars (the one in the bakelite case)
And mild/aggressive is in the eye of the beholder. My prewars give a mighty fine shave that I really don't consider "mild", but smooth and comfortable. Regardless, I love them all.....

Let us know how your shave goes!!

$2015-05-16 at 00-00-00 (3).jpg

My prewar fat handle tech shaves about as aggressively as my slim on 2. With a weber handle, it shaves a little more aggressively. Maybe the equivalent of a 2.5 setting on the slim - but not a 3.

In comparison, my prewar super speed shaves like the equivalent of a 3 setting on my slim. The Weber head shaves like the equivalent of a 3.5 setting on my slim, and the long comb new shaves like the equivalent of a 4. My MTO shave like the equivalent of a 1 setting on my slim.

Regardless of the aggressiveness, I like how the 3 piece razors fit closer to the face due to the flatter heads. The domed heads of the TTOs don't work as easily for me, and don't shave quite as closely for me.

Until I bought my pre-war tech with the triangular slots my favorite razor was my Edwin Jagger DE89L. After I found my pre-war tech I thought my EJ DE89L was the best razor I used up to that point. I had heard that the tech was mild and didn't get the best results. I was wrong! Now my pre-war tech is my primary razor. I would love to find a few move and add to my collection. I don't think having only one is enough. I get excellent results with this razor.

Last edited:
Don't forget the pics ... we like pics! :thumbup1:

Edgar: Pics are a promise, my friend. The razor isn't as 'pretty' as some I've seen. But those scratches and wear marks may add to the character of this storied razor's history. However, this doesn't negate my not looking for a near pristine pre-war Tech. But I may leave this one as is. If it shaves as it should, I'll be thrilled. This will give me two razors: my 34C and the Tech.

I will likely change the barrel and put on an Ikon 80mm, I have one waiting for this Tech. My only issue with the 1960s and 1970s model Techs, apart from the Zamak thing, was that they were too mild for me. I like mild razors, but they were ineffective for me, regardless of the blade I used. I realize a blade cannot compensate for a razor's inefficiency. Even this simple lesson takes (some of us) a bit of time to understand. I keep my gear to a minimum; but with this interest in the efficiency of older Techs vs. newer Techs, I may have to also look for an English flat-bottom Tech.

Mr. Eleven: That's a handsome series of Techs you have.

No date-code Techs

Sorry, guys; another question: these Techs with no date code, are they early Techs or later Zamak razors? I don't know if Gillette made no-date-code Techs in its early or latter years. I checked B&B Wiki--no joy.

Edgar: Pics are a promise, my friend. The razor isn't as 'pretty' as some I've seen. But those scratches and wear marks may add to the character of this storied razor's history.

Of all the techs I own, my favorite is the first one I found at a local antique store for 7$. It's missing nickel plating and has scratches and dings but I always keep going back to it as my favorite. In fact all of my techs (except for the British Flat Bottom) have all looked pretty nasty at first glance, but you'd be surprised what a little elbow grease will get you ;-)

And thanks for the compliment!

I love my earlier Techs (US triangular slot, 1932 Canadian triangular slot). I, too, found the post-war oblong slot Techs to be too mild and couldn't get a great shave from them.

Plus, the fat handle just looks cool.

Top Bottom