What's new

Strop Shoppe Soaps

How is the performance and scents on Strop Shoppe soaps? I remember them being really popular but I haven't heard much in awhile.

I have used only one of my four tubs. That was Lemon Eucalyptus and I 3017'ed it last year.

The performance was off the charts good. It lathered easily, and was slick, cushion-y, and very protective. The scent was not quite my cup of tea but that is so subjective that I wouldn't want you to be influenced by my opinion. The lemon smelled a bit synthetic to my nose.

The scents are stronger than most artisan soaps and more cologne-like if you know what I mean. The other tubs in my drawer are Baker Street, Barber Shoppe, and Teakwood. They all smell much better to me than the Lemon Eucalyptus did - I just used the least appealing first to have it out of the way. I am looking forward to using them.

I read all the scent descriptions and none sound that good to me but a search shows really great performance. I am assuming most use the tallow as there is only a couple of non tallow available. I like clean and fresh scents. Caties Bubbles LMR, Proraso Blue, haslinger, etc... None sound like that. Any you would recommend?

I bought their 2014 Holiday Kit of Limited Edition soaps. A couple of the scents can't be purchased separately (Pomegranate and Apple Cider) bit three of them can. Those are Baker Street, Alpine Frost, and Russian Tea. They all smell great! What's funny is that Russian Tea sounded the least appealing to me but it's my absolute favorite of them all.

I shaved with Pomegranate this morning and the performance is great!

I currently have Black Tie, Via Del Ambra, and Carnaby. All three are great scents and off the charts in relation to performance.

I have the Alpine Frost. The scent is very light, as is the menthol. It is very soft, definitely a "croap." It has all the good stuff - tallow, lanolin, shea butter and produces a great lather with very little effort. It's an excellent soap; I just wish that the scent and menthol were a little stronger.

--Bob

Great Soaps. Top Shelf in every way.

Rosemary Mint is my favorite scent. More mint that rosemary.

If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of Congress?
― Will Rogers

If you like lanolin and tallow, they are hard to beat. Off the charts performance and fantastic post shave feel. They had some logistical issues a while back but everything was sorted out and they are a fantastic artisan to deal with.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They can stand up against any soap. I have tried several, my favorites are Rosemary Mint, Black Tie, and Baker Street. Date night and Barbershoppe have a note of drug store hair spray that I find unappealing. Russian Tea does indeed smell like Russian tea, but is a bit strong and sweet for more than an occasional use for me. Probably should let that one air out a few months.

Cheers, Steve

Great Soaps. Top Shelf in every way...

I couldn't agree more. The Strop Shoppe SE soaps with tallow are probably the best artisan soaps that I've tried. I also really like their scents. I prefer their tallow soaps, but the veggie versions are excellent, as well. You can't go wrong with The Strop Shoppe.

I really enjoy SS Baker Street. Top shelf performance. Super easy to lather. I found Baker Street and Barbershoppe to be very similar scent wise. YMMV

Barbershop for sure. you will love it

I read all the scent descriptions and none sound that good to me but a search shows really great performance. I am assuming most use the tallow as there is only a couple of non tallow available. I like clean and fresh scents. Caties Bubbles LMR, Proraso Blue, haslinger, etc... None sound like that. Any you would recommend?

If you're gonna get Strop Shoppe, skip to their Limited Edition line. It's literally peerless in my book, and I've tried every artisan you care to mention as a "top" performer. My personal hierarchy starts with Strop Shoppe LE and goes down from there.

Top Bottom