What's new

How to get more shaves out of a blade?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
OK so I know that everyone gets a different number of passes out of a typical blade but I only get one. The first shave with a blade is fabulous no cuts, no irritation, just a smooth shave. This is typically 3 to 4 passes. 2 days later when I go to shave again the blade skips and pulls all over the place. Every blade I have tried is the same, Merkur, Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Tiger, even Feathers.
I don't think that I have a exceptionally coarse beard because I didn't have a problem using cartridge razors for 2 weeks at a time. I do have a problem with lime in my water and that builds up on everything, BUT would it effect the blade that quickly? And I always shake the excess water off before putting it back in the cabinet.
I'm really enjoying the shaves I get with a new blade but anything after that goes downhill FAST. Any ideas?

Try dipping the head of the razor in rubbing alcohol, than shake it off. The alcohol will displace the water on the blade. I also notice that if I loosen the knob when I store the razor, the blade will dry faster and more completely.

OK so I know that everyone gets a different number of passes out of a typical blade but I only get one. The first shave with a blade is fabulous no cuts, no irritation, just a smooth shave. This is typically 3 to 4 passes. 2 days later when I go to shave again the blade skips and pulls all over the place. Every blade I have tried is the same, Merkur, Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Tiger, even Feathers.
I don't think that I have a exceptionally coarse beard because I didn't have a problem using cartridge razors for 2 weeks at a time. I do have a problem with lime in my water and that builds up on everything, BUT would it effect the blade that quickly? And I always shake the excess water off before putting it back in the cabinet.
I'm really enjoying the shaves I get with a new blade but anything after that goes downhill FAST. Any ideas?

Maybe stop banging your razor against the side of your sink? :biggrin:

Cheers

Jeremy

there's only one thing that can truly help keep your razor blades sharp and that's.....

the power of the pyramid!

I have an extremely course beard and even with the worst blades I get atleast 3 shaves. I hate to say it but your 2 day later bad shave more likely has something to do with...
a) razor could be messed up if its vintage
b) bad prep
c) bad post shave and its your skin
d)bad technique when shaving, not using the right angle
e) not rinsing your razor in hot enough water and shaking it. never wipe a blade

Maybe it helps if you strop your blade in a cork before using it the first time? It seems that some other members have had success doing this. I've never tried it myself though.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

My first reaction is, Why? So you only get one shave out of a 10 cent blade, big deal. Throw it out and load another.

However, I can see wanting to get two shaves per blade, that's pretty much my limit. As another member pointed out, it may be your pre-shave prep. If you can't pin down anything in your technique that may be causing the problem and if 35 cents a week for blades is a problem then by all means go back to your cartridge, there's nothing wrong with that if it works for you.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm not discounting any of your advice at all about the prep and so forth, but what I wonder is why the first shave is so good, the second is bad, the third is physically and emotionally scaring.

A little background... The razor is a Merkur 38c,
The prep is always a hot shower with hair conditioner lathered on at the beginning and washed off at the end of the shower.
Get out of the shower and make later with TOBS Eton College cream, I have water with a lot of lime in it so I make the lather with a spay bottle of distilled water.
Splash face with sink full of hot water.
Brush on lathered cream
Shave WTG
Splash face
Shave XTG
Splash Face
Shave XTG the other Direction
Splash Face
Shave ATG
All of these are with one or two passes and then rinsing the razor in the sink.

If the prep was bad or the technique, which isn't perfect but continuously improving, was bad I would think the shaves would be bad, but the first one with a blade is BBS, no kicks no irritation.

As far as replacing the blade every time it wouldn't be that big of an expense Derbys or Feathers would run me $1-$1.50 each week it's just the principle of the thing that I would be right back where I was spending and throwing away about as much as I would with the cartridges.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I would consider not using the conditioner. Some conditioners actually make whiskers tougher to shave as they cause the scales to close and seal out water.

Massage some shave cream onto your wet beard area and let it sit while you are making lather or getting your razor ready. This will work at softening your whiskers and keep them wet. When you apply your lather you can either wash this off or simply apply lather right over it. This is how I cheat the hot towel pre-shave prep. It's not quite as good as a few minutes under a hot towel, but it is a lot less hassle.

I would be curious to know if this is an improvement. I do not use conditioner on my whiskers and I don't know which ones make the whiskers harder to shave, but I understand that some of them do.

I've been asking something similar in another thread
here.

I've been getting only about two good shaves before needing to change the blade, with most blade types I've tried.
The third time I get as far as going WTG and not much is being shaved off.. then if I try anything more like XTG or ATG I get horrible razor burn and the blade feels dull.

I think the blade type makes a big difference as to the quality of the shave... some blade types even feel dull on the first shave. Gillette Swedes are said to stay sharp twice as long.

How coarse your beard is makes a difference as to how quickly your blade dulls. Mine is very thick hair.

How many passes you make per shave makes a difference. Some people do a 4 pass every day.. while some only do 2 passes. Also keep in mind, that some people shave their whole face and get only two shaves per blade, and others have a goatee and get a weeks worth.

The angle you shave is said to make a difference. If the blade is dragged across the face almost perpendicular to the skin it could dull faster than if your blade is angled close to parallel with the skin and it slices through the hairs.

Up till now I've being dragging the blade across almost perpendicular.... good shaves for side one and side two, but that's all I'll get out of the blade.

Will you accept a straight answer?........

That's funny...You are being cautious now. I'll do the honors.

Technique can get sloppy no matter how much experience you have. It's a perishable skill.

If you get only one good shave per blade, so be it. Buy your favorite blade in bulk and it'll still cost less per shave than cartridges.

I started using Proraso Pre/Post as a pre-shave prep about 1 month ago and have noticed that my blades seem to last longer. I shower, then apply the pre-shave as I make lather.

Anyone else experiencing this?

There was a device around in the 30s and 40s called 'the JASON strop'. You strap your blade in and strop away. Perhaps look around for one of them. Does anyone here own one of these?
proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm not discounting any of your advice at all about the prep and so forth, but what I wonder is why the first shave is so good, the second is bad, the third is physically and emotionally scaring.

Uh, I think the word you're looking for is scarring. Suffice it to say, that's a tad melodramatic. Perhaps you're best suited to electrics.

Top Bottom