What's new

Cell phone shots

This creature did not like having it's picture taken, would rear up on it's back legs jump at the ipod, land, climb on top then jump on me. Quick moving and would never stop. No idea what it is but i haven't had a more aggressive photo subject.
dave

RELATED TOPICS

Katydid (family Tettigoniidae), also called long-horned grasshopper or bushcricket, also spelled bush cricket, any of about 6,000 predominantly nocturnal insects that are related to crickets (the two groups are in the suborder Ensifera, orderOrthoptera) and are noted for their mating calls. Katydids are also known for their large hind legs and extremely long threadlike antennae as well as the thick, upwardly curved ovipositor (egg-laying structure) of the females.

• [FONT=&quot]​
Fork-tailed bush katydid (Scudderia furcata).
E.S. Ross

Leaf katydids (subfamily Pseudophyllinae) precisely mimic the form of leaves. The green leaf …
Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.

[/FONT]

The common true katydid (Pterophylla camellifolia) produces the repetitive song for which katydids are named; the song is phoneticized as “katy-did, katy-didn’t.” However, each species of katydid has its own rasping song, produced by stridulation, whereby the forewings, one of which is ridged, are rubbed together. Although katydid songs are species-specific, different species are able to hear one another’s calls. Songs differ as to their purpose, being either reproductive, territorial, aggressive, or defensive in nature.

Thanks for the info on the katydid, the amount of non-shaving knowledge i pick up around here swamps what i learn about shaving, fantastic!

Cash it was cool looking beast i hope i spot again... but in a little more docile version, crawling around in the gravel plays hard on the knees.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dang it, I had the most beautifully nasty hornworm on my habanero plant this morning. I was thinking death before honor pictures though.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice shot Dave. What time is sun set for you at the moment?
Our days are going the other way, with sun set. Currently 7:30pm, with the longest day end of December the sun sets at 9:00pm

Thanks Chris!

An app on my ipod says for tomorrow, 7:13 sunrise and sunset at 7:06, those two times are getting closer together at a very quick pace.

The photo's time was 7:43 tonight, leaning against a fence post (set in concrete) to try to steady things.

dave

edit, Chris what's your latitude? We're at 43 N and i see Hamilton new Zealand's at 37 S.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris!

An app on my ipod says for tomorrow, 7:13 sunrise and sunset at 7:06, those two times are getting closer together at a very quick pace.

The photo's time was 7:43 tonight, leaning against a fence post (set in concrete) to try to steady things.

dave

edit, Chris what's your latitude? We're at 43 N and i see Hamilton new Zealand's at 37 S.

I'm in Wellington at the bottom of the North Island. 41° S
Sun rise today 7:00am / sun set 7:25pm Daylight saving started on Sunday just gone.

Last edited:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Great pics! :thumbup1:
Since your near that way Dave, did you get a chance to see the Port Hope bandfest? Was a great outing, but I missed the one bunch I actually wanted to see!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The wife came back from Auckland tonight with a very heavy bag. Her brother had been fishing on Sunday so gave her 25.5kg / 55lbs of snapper to take home.
This big one would not fit in my freezer and would not lay flat in my large chilly bin either.

Sorry for the grainy photo. The cell phone is rubbish with the florescent lights in my garage.

$20160927_211106.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know anything about photography but I can tell when something looks good. These turned out really well for pics that I took with my phone.

Also, vBulletin appears to auto rotate the portrait ones to landscape and I couldn't figure out a way to turn them back.

$DSC_9571 (2).jpg
$DSC_9526 (2).jpg

Attachments

• $DSC_9595.jpg
    $DSC_9595.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 34
  • $DSC_9524.jpg
    $DSC_9524.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 33
  • $DSC_9520.jpg
    $DSC_9520.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 34