What's new

Gearing up for the yearly fishing trip!

I'll be heading up to the boundary waters of northern Minnesota in about a week. Can't wait to go around one of the most beautiful states we've got and chase some walleye and smallies! I really love to get any advice that you gents may have on what's working, what phases the fish are in, ect... When the walleyes are hitting, it seems like I spend most of my week staring at a slip bobber lol. So any info on tactics would be great!

Well, I'm going to be leaving Saturday morning, or Friday night, depending on how you look at it. I've got most of all my tackle cleaned up and ready to go. Here's a few pics.
$IMAG0110.jpg$IMAG0111.jpg$IMAG0109.jpg$IMAG0108.jpg

Well, it looks like you've got all areas covered! Good luck to you. Oh, post pictures or we will think you didn't go!

Mike

I travel to Lac Seul for walleye fishing. I have never had much luck using artificials to catch walleye. Usually, we drift and use jigs to which we hook live minnows. We let the jig hit bottom and then reel is up two turns and just let the boat drift over the area we want to fish. We will go back and forth a few times and if no fish are caught move on. We use plain jigs, jigs with spinners, and walleye rigs that contain spinners. In addition to minnows we use leeches. Here is a good site for info on walleye fishing.

We fish the edge of weed beds and drop offs for best results. The depth depends on the water temperature.

Here is a photo of one fish I caught. Unfortunately, it is above the slot size allowed and was returned to the lake.

$P1070681.jpg

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Great looking walleye! We usually do similar fishing either with jigs or slip bobbers fishing patches of boulders with leeches. The artificial stuff only really starts coming into play for the smallies and pike. Unless the walleyes aren't hitting live bait, in which case I might start getting desperate.

I like the smallies and pike for fun and the walleye to eat. I caught this smallmouth on a spinner. When it hit the water the fish smashed it.

$Jim w small mouth.jpg

My stepson caught this nice one. He was about to smoke a cigarette when the fish hit and almost took the rod out of his hands.

$100_0092.jpg

You need more perch rapalas, IMO.

One of my favorite BWCA experiences was with a group of kids from a "troubled youth" residence. One of the smallest kids was out in a bay dinking around with his fishing pole and landed a ~10lb walleye.
That was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had....

We've been chasing smallies during the day and walleye in the evening. So far the fish seem to have cooperated. Here's the haul from last night. Perfect eater sizes!
$IMAG0117.jpg

This place is really beautiful. And the cooperative weather has allowed us to really get the most out of the evenings.
$IMAG0115.jpg

I travel to Lac Seul for walleye fishing. I have never had much luck using artificials to catch walleye. Usually, we drift and use jigs to which we hook live minnows. We let the jig hit bottom and then reel is up two turns and just let the boat drift over the area we want to fish. We will go back and forth a few times and if no fish are caught move on. We use plain jigs, jigs with spinners, and walleye rigs that contain spinners. In addition to minnows we use leeches. Here is a good site for info on walleye fishing.

We fish the edge of weed beds and drop offs for best results. The depth depends on the water temperature.

Here is a photo of one fish I caught. Unfortunately, it is above the slot size allowed and was returned to the lake.

View attachment 572966

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Awesome, Jim. Lac Seul is an amazing place to fish. That slot can be a bugger, huh? Some days it's hard to get lunch because everything has to go back. You know you're having good fishing when you're hoping for smaller fish, right? :thumbup: Have to agree with the live bait vs plastics for me too. Best artificials I have used so far are Berkley Gulp. If the walleyes have their feedbag on, they will take them pretty much as well as a shiner. If they're finicky I have a hard time closing the deal tho. Partly poor technique on my part, partly i just dont think the texture is right if they're doing the slow munch up to the jig head.

I'm a little late getting in on this since by the time you see it you'll be back, but a guy should always have some spoons along.... Sometimes when nothing else wants to bite, and it's looking like spuds and trail mix for supper, the pike will hit and save your meal. (Not like a pro like me ever had to eat a northern on a camping trip. :001_rolle:thumbup::001_smile)

I'm a little late getting in on this since by the time you see it you'll be back, but a guy should always have some spoons along.... Sometimes when nothing else wants to bite, and it's looking like spuds and trail mix for supper, the pike will hit and save your meal. (Not like a pro like me ever had to eat a northern on a camping trip. :001_rolle:thumbup::001_smile)

My last few fishing trips (ok maybe the last 5-10 years) I've noticed that the pike just aren't hitting the spoons like they used to. Maybe it's the way we troll or something but they certainly hit just about any rapala I through at them. It's somewhat annoying as most of my youth was spent fishing with various colors of dare devils, and sometimes a silver spoon called the wobbler.

I haven't really noticed a change. I always keep them around, especially when I have kids with me. Are you always fishing the same water, or different lakes? Just wondered if something about a certain body of water is changing change habits. I really doubt it's anything you are doing wrong in your trolling. Pretty tough to screw up a DareDevil unless you're throwing it out moving really fast and just skimming the top couple of feet with it.

I haven't really noticed a change. I always keep them around, especially when I have kids with me. Are you always fishing the same water, or different lakes? Just wondered if something about a certain body of water is changing change habits. I really doubt it's anything you are doing wrong in your trolling. Pretty tough to screw up a DareDevil unless you're throwing it out moving really fast and just skimming the top couple of feet with it.

lol you just describe my gpa's favorite trolling method. He'd use a cane pole with about 6-10 feet of line (just enough to lift the pole and grab the fish) and troll just over the weed tops. Always brought home fish. Never big lunkers mind you but always good eating 2-4 pounders.

Okay, my bad, that's funny. :001_rolle Never argue with the tactics of an old timer. They usually do what they do because it works. And they always seem to catch fish. :thumbup:

Well, I made it back alive. But to be honest, I really didn't want to leave lol. The walleye fishing was great. No giants, but enough eaters to keep us full and able to bring home my limit. The smallmouth fishing was excellent! I ended up spending the lions share of my trip casting rapalas at the shore lines and picking up beautiful 3-5 pounders all over the place. All in all, it was a wonderful trip.
$20150529_095018.jpg

I don't know anything about fishing, but I did go canoeing on the Boundary waters in September, 1984. fantastic weather and a memorable trip.

Just wanted to wish you a safe and enjoyable excursion.

Glad you had good fishing, nice looking smallie! I am leaving Sunday for our annual Canada fishing trip and this thread and pictures are getting me anxious to get out on the water.

Glad you had good fishing, nice looking smallie! I am leaving Sunday for our annual Canada fishing trip and this thread and pictures are getting me anxious to get out on the water.

We are doing Canada next year. Going about 2 hours north of Ely mn. Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom