What's new

How long does your soap last?

The 3017 thread is not really an accurate representation of soap longevity. Most people there burn through soap as quickly as possible.

I would argue that using soaps in a rotation will not provide an accurate representation of soap longevity. YMMV.

I'm about 50 shaves into a puck of TOBS and it shows some wear but not much. I don't use it exclusively but I do want to use it up so I can start another triple milled soap (MWF). If I were to hazard a guess, I would estimate that I'll get 300+ shaves from it. Here's the sick part. Even though I have enough soap to last many many years, if I have leftover lather, I squeeze it out of the brush and either plop it on top of the puck or in my lather bowl. I just can't bring myself to simply wash it down the drain.

A 50g stick of hard soap (Palmolive, Speick, ...) lasts me for about 3 months with about 6 shaves per week.

My soaps last many months to several years because I have many in rotation. Some get used frequently and I may use up a puck in 5-6 months. Some have been around for a couple years and have years left. I've estimated that if I used a puck exclusively I would get 2-3 months of use depending on the original size and the hardness of the soap.

I've only ever used one soap from start to finish, B&M Nocturne and it took me 48 shaves. That would be the only soap I have ever finished the remaining ones are "in progress"

I am finding that for me soaps last a long time. For example, I currently am using Monsavon that I bought in France two years ago. It was in my regular rotation and when I moved to AZ in December I realized I had too many opened soaps. So I picked one soap and use it exclusively until it is used up. The Monsavon was about 95% used up and I started using it exclusively in March. I estimate that I will finish it up completely within two weeks.

+1 I've seen estimates by soap and person of 0.4 to 1.6 g/day and even a few up near 3 g/day. After reading through the posts there, I used 1.2 g/day to estimate that I had about 100 years of soap.

I suggest checking out the 3017 thread. There is lots of data on soap longevity.

They last a long time. I don't know exactly how long, but it took me 4 months to use a tub of cella, shaving everyday and making 2x the lather that I use. The equivalent amount of foam from cans would have emptied a few I'm sure

When life was simple (LOL) and I used Tabac exclusively, 1 puck lasted me almost 6 months. I have too many in rotation right now to be able to figure anything else out.

Again, "Most people" there burn through soap as quickly as possible

I think roughly 1g per shave applies to most soaps, and about 2-3 times that for creams.

I am a 3017er, but I don't use extra product just to use up my soaps. What I have found is that using more product, but not making more lather, results in a much thicker slicker lather. I thought that my lather was slick until I started using more product, and now my mileage has varied. Your mileage may vary as well, but will you ever know if you don't give it a spin?

I don't understand. Do those soaps ever consume? :blink:
Sorry, not what i have payed for... If one of those finish while i'm alive, i'll surely gonna send the container at manufacturer and wait for it to send it back full.

I think i have too many soaps. Have my favorites, but tend to keep those for "the good shaves".

Even though I have enough soap to last many many years, if I have leftover lather, I squeeze it out of the brush and either plop it on top of the puck or in my lather bowl. I just can't bring myself to simply wash it down the drain.
Try "buttering" your bathroom mirror once or twice a week with the leftover lather. Seriously! Lather, then wipe off. It will keep your mirrors from fogging after a shower if the humidity is high.

Soaps are usually right around 1.5g per day and creams about 2.5g per day. I shave daily without exceptions. So on average, a soap or cream will last me 2-3 months.

I've got a mug full with grated arko and Williams. I'm about 130 shaves in and it's less than half done. I'm guessing I'm using about .5 grams per shave. It seems to never go away..

Top Bottom