What's new

Rum Suggestions?

For regular rum drinks I prefer Gosling's Black Seal.

For sipping I prefer Pusser's Gunpowder and El Dorado 21.

I am very partial to the Black Seal, every time I pick up a different brand of rum to sample, I also get another bottle of Black Seal.

What Zaya do you recommend?
$uploadfromtaptalk1431863712882.jpg

The Lash - a spiced rum form the Netherlands, literally tastes like drinking Christmas. It is relatively viscous but not overly sweet.

It's the only rum for making a Dark and Stormy and not bad all by itself. They make a high end reserve I've always wanted to try. You might enjoy the aged Appleton rums. I also recommend Mt. Gay Extra Old if it's within your budget.
I am very partial to the Black Seal, every time I pick up a different brand of rum to sample, I also get another bottle of Black Seal.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Meyer's Dark Rum!

That's because it tastes like cough syrup! :w00t:

I don't know what it is, but Meyers always has a funny taste to me. Lots of people love it though, so it's probably just my tastebuds. (Maybe it's like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people...)

I'm no expert but I'm curious to try a Cuban rum if any ever make it here. From what I understand, Bacardi was originally distilled there.

I'm no expert but I'm curious to try a Cuban rum if any ever make it here. From what I understand, Bacardi was originally distilled there.

My understanding is the Bacardi, even though it's not made in Cuba anymore, is still a Cuban-style rum. Although I'm sure there are some differences due to non-Cuban water and sugar cane sources.

Edit -- found this, though it was interesting: http://nypost.com/2014/12/17/cuban-rums-are-creating-a-buzz-as-us-restrictions-are-eased/

Last edited:
I grabbed Havana Club Anejo Reserva and Havana Club 7yo at Cancun Airport Duty Free and brought them in the States. Both are pretty mediocre rums and IMO good for mixed drinks. For money, that I paid for, I would better off get Zacappa or ElDorado.

I'm about to finish my third bottle of Plantation Grand Reserve 5yo. If you love rum, you must try it.

I have tried it and I have come to the conclusion that I will like most any rum from Barbados! Plantation is very nice, thanks for the suggestion.

Today I purchased a bottle of El Dorado 8yr and Mount Gay Eclipse to sample and of course my obligatory Gosling Black Seal (and Gosling Ginger Beer).

I have tried it and I have come to the conclusion that I will like most any rum from Barbados! Plantation is very nice, thanks for the suggestion.

Today I purchased a bottle of El Dorado 8yr and Mount Gay Eclipse to sample and of course my obligatory Gosling Black Seal (and Gosling Ginger Beer).

I love Mount Gay Extra Old as well. When I think of a truly classic rum flavor, that is it.

Weekend Update:

Mount Gay Eclipse - Very smooth, just good enough to tempt me to try the Mount Gay Extra Old.

El Dorado 8 Yr - Holy Smokes, I can't imagine how awesome the older El Dorado tastes. Definitely a keeper, especially for the $.

...and the Goslings Dark N Stormies were awesome as usual!

Glad you tried the El dorado. I need to replace my spirit stores now that I am living in Nc and No access to my stuff back in Texas.

Glad you tried the El dorado. I need to replace my spirit stores now that I am living in Nc and No access to my stuff back in Texas.

chef8489, thank you for suggesting the El Dorado. We are about 100 miles from "real civilization" so my choice was limited to the 8yr, but I plan to try the 12 & 15 as I come across them. jc

Top Bottom