What's new

Anti-persperants/Deoderants and white shirts.

Have a question for those of you who use or know of a "natural" deoderant that doesn't stain the hell out of white shirts. I know very little about those antipersperants/deoderants that are similar to alum blocks and would like rec's or more info on what you gents use.

If the deodorant does not contain aluminum, then you won't get the yellowing. Unfortunately antiperspirants without aluminum are few and far between and generally involve using cornstarch or arrowroot powder. These work by absorbing the sweat. However, they can only absorb up to a certain amount of sweat and then they'll stop working. In contrast, the aluminum antiperspirants works by clogging your sweat ducts and preventing the sweat from coming out in the first place. Basically, there are some good alternatives to deodorants, but there are relatively few alternatives to antiperspirants (there is a Razorock one coming out that I do plan on trying that contains cornstarch). I personally don't like alum blocks, but will acknowledge that they do work.

Thank you for the replies. It will be interesting to see what the RazoRock offers. I would like to try something different, and my white shirts will thank me for it. Thanks!

I love using Thai Crystal Deodorant Stone. No staining and no gummy gunky feeling under my arms. It works well for me. It prevents odor if you apply it right out of the shower. It won't do anything if you already stink. Its just Alum(Potassium Aluminum Sulfate). It costs about 8 bucks at Whole Foods but the stone lasts me over a year of daily use.

You need to apply it correctly. I've seen a few people claim it doesn't work for them and after a few questions they are using it like a conventional roll on or deodorant stick. If you wet under the arm and wet the stone with cold water and rub vigorously around under the arms for a 60 count each pit then you'll easily get 24 hours of deodorant protection. Rinse the stone under cold water between pits and after use. Dry the stone off on a towel before screwing on the cover.

Certain-Dri

This is a little different...they recommend you apply it at night while you sleep. In theory it permeates your skin at night to keep you from sweating the next day, where you won't have to put any antiperspirant on. You may still use deodorant if you wish, and without the aluminum-chemicals your undershirts shouldn't develop problems.

I looked around some time ago and could not find a suitable alternative. The new RazoRock product interests me and I will give that a cart-addon shot the next time I need something from IB. Until then - I throw in a some powdered OxiClean with my whites which does a great job at removing the stains. Really embedded stains will need another cycle, but I recommend just keep doing your normal wear/clean usage and the stains will disappear sooner or later. Whatever you do, do not use bleach...it just makes it look worse.

The Thai crystal works great if you can get the alum on your armpits effectively. I've found lots of armpit hair to be an obstacle in that regard.

I just started using something from Herben Cowboy - http://www.herbancowboy.com/
I got the Forest scent and have really liked it so far - scent & performance :)
100% vegan and aluminum free.

+1 for herban cowboy. Wild and dusk are great scents also.

I've noticed that I sweat less when I don't use an antiperspirant. For about the first week after I quit, there was what I had always considered my "normal" amount of sweat - now I sweat less. I wonder if there is some sort of biological "overcompensation" that happens when you regularly block yor sweat glands? (I know that using lots of drying washes/cleaners can cause your face to secrete more oil. Maybe something similar happens with sweat?)

Certain-Dri

This is a little different...they recommend you apply it at night while you sleep. In theory it permeates your skin at night to keep you from sweating the next day, where you won't have to put any antiperspirant on. You may still use deodorant if you wish, and without the aluminum-chemicals your undershirts shouldn't develop problems.

I use something similar called Driclor and it works like magic for me. Highly recommended

Top Bottom