What's new

Ray Ban sunglasses

The best prices I've seen on genuine Ray Bans have been from Amazon.com. Personally, I think you can't go wrong with the RB2132 New Wayfarer, with classic tortoise frames, and the basic G-15 non-polarized lens. These look good on pretty much everyone, and they are one of the cheaper options. I think I got mine for around $85. Polarized lenses seems to bump them up closer to the $120 range.

I was initially resistant to the idea of buying nice name-brand sunglasses, but then I realized that I had been wearing the same pair of $10 Walmart sunglasses for 7 years, and decided that I am probably responsible enough to own a nicer pair.

http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Ban-Wayfa...8&qid=1431643062&sr=8-1&keywords=new+wayfarer

Ray Bans are still good quality, but since Luxottica owns them they are very over priced. However, it that is what your wife wants that is what you should get her.

Given that the price will be high, you should go shopping with her so she can try them on for size and style. At least get a gift receipt in case they aren't the right size or shape for her face if you pick them them without her.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have decided to take her to the local Sunglass World so she can try some out. If they
turn out to be too expensive I will check on Amazon.
My wife does have a problem with glare. I'm assuming the polarized lenses are worth the extra money?
Again, thanks for your time.

When I was shopping for shades last year I saw some complaints by people that their polarized lenses caused some difficulty in reading electronic displays and signs. The two biggest were about phone screens and instrument panels in vehicles. I don't have any first hand experience with this as I don't use polarized lenses but you may want to investigate the issue before spending the extra cash on polarized lenses.

If you look at an amoled screen on a phone through polarized lenses the entire screed is blacked out. This happened on my previous phone. My current phone has an IPS screen and looks normal through polarized lenses. Other than that, go for polarized. I'd recommend the grey/green lenses because they don't change the colours of what you are looking at while other lenses such as amber do.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My suggestion would be to try them first to make sure they are comfortable. I am not saying it's the same for everyone but I cannot stand Oakley, they are very uncomfortable for me. I tried Ray Ban, they are nice. I preferred Bollé for a while until I discovered Serengeti. I've been using the same pair for 6 years now and they are still like new.

I will also add, it depends where or for what she wears the glasses. I have mine in polarized brown and, for driving, they are fantastic. I do not have any issues when it rains and then I get the reflection from the sun on a puddle of water. Same goes when there's snow. Everything becomes clear without killing your eye. I would probably never go back to black sunnies.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have decided to take her to the local Sunglass World so she can try some out. If they
turn out to be too expensive I will check on Amazon.
My wife does have a problem with glare. I'm assuming the polarized lenses are worth the extra money?
Again, thanks for your time.

I like polarized lenses, but don't need them. Most of the pairs I wear are not polarized.

A couple things to take note of.

Wayfarers
There is an older version and the newer version. I prefer the smaller size of the new wayfarer. I purchased mine off Rakuten for $55 with a coupon.

Aviators
Pay attention to the size of the lense that she is trying on at the store. The do come in different height/widths and if you don't take note of this at the store and then purchase them online (I prefer amazon, seems to be the cheapest) then they might be too small/too large once you get them in. This also goes for the wayfarers.

You may also want to read up quick on head shapes and corresponding frame shapes. Might make picking out the right shape for her face a bit easier (e.g. aviators vs. caravans, each suits a specific facial shape).

Lastly, if she likes the caravans, you might want to look at American Opticals. They are a fair bit cheaper than Ray ban (on Amazon) and are just as good.

I'm a RayBan fan for 40+ years, won't wear anything else. You'll pay Premium prices at Mall kiosks but you get to see how they look on you.I have four pairs of Ray Bans, 2 Wayfarers (1 and 2) that a friend sold me for $50 total; I should be arrested for stealing. A pair of Caravans that my dad left me and a pair of black frame Outdoorsman.

Unfortunately, the Ray Bans of 40 years ago are nothing like today's Luxottica-owned brand.

You are right, I own three pairs of Ray Bans from the 80's when they were under Bausch & Lomb, the best.

I hope that's what you meant:001_smile

Yeah, you need to see what style she likes first. Then...well then there are a GAZILLION options to choose from. Online discount optics stores, Ebay...they have treated me well and I've never gotten a fake.

Ray Ban also has a customizable "Build Your Own Pair" tool online. You pay sticker price, but you get exactly what you want and it arrives via airmail from Luxottica Italy in 5 days with free shipping. They used to only offer the Aviator and Wayfarer styles, but that was a year ago when I used it. They probably offer more now.

As to country of origin...who cares? The whole argument is silly. Some styles are made in Italy (I believe all Aviators are, and some Clubmasters) and some are made in China (most of the Wayfarers and some Clubmasters). The quality between the current Luxottica glasses and the old B&L glasses is the same, at least where the Aviators are concerned. I've never dealt with the other styles. And honestly, Luxottica owns 75% of the optical industry. If the quality sucked, then that means 75% of ALL glasses sold today suck. And that's not true.

I usually buy from sunglass hut. She's going to want to try them on to make sure they fit. Being in Florida you're going to want to get Polarized to take the glare off the water. The Ray Ban will have a P on the lens next to the name to denote polarization, though it'll cost you an extra $60 or so for them, but well worth it.

When I was shopping for shades last year I saw some complaints by people that their polarized lenses caused some difficulty in reading electronic displays and signs. The two biggest were about phone screens and instrument panels in vehicles. I don't have any first hand experience with this as I don't use polarized lenses but you may want to investigate the issue before spending the extra cash on polarized lenses.

All my sunglasses are polarized and it does cause a problem reading electronic displays, but if she likes to go to the beach I'd say get the polarized.

Slightly off topic here, but I tried to sell these on ebay recently, and they were removed for copyright reasons! Still not sure what the problem was exactly as I'm convinced they are genuine vintage B & L Raybans. And I see plenty of fake goods for sale on there! Maybe God wants me to hang on to them; but then, why would he make me short sighted too?

Attachments

• $P1010925.jpg
    $P1010925.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 83
  • $P1010927.jpg
    $P1010927.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 83
You are right, I own three pairs of Ray Bans from the 80's when they were under Bausch & Lomb, the best.

I hope that's what you meant:001_smile

Exactly what I meant.

I had a pair of circa 1990 Wayfarers (still B&L at that point). Key word "had" - a few years ago I sat on them and they broke in two at the bridge.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That had to hurt. I won't lay any of my shades down anywhere. I have a pocket in my vest made for sunglasses and they stay there if they're not on my face

Legitimately curious, what about the new Ray Bans feels poor/cheap compared to the old ones/options like Randolph Engineering etc...? I've heard it a lot and my gut is to assume its true but I don't see much room for short cuts unless the metal is of a poor quality or it has poor screws.

$80-$140 depending on where you buy them. Wayfarer are the most popular model along with the Aviator. You see people wearing them all over the world. Costco is a great place to look. The one by me has plenty of Ray Ban models. Century 21 is another place. Good luck.

Top Bottom