What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just heard back from Gareth, and I have to say I'm totally satisfied both with his reply, and his handling of my question.

Here's what he had to say:

If you were to purchase now, you will be offered the revised cap, free of charge, when it is released.

We're still making as many improvements to the design as we can with the new tolerances that metal injection moulding will allow. It will be the same razor, as in it will have 6 sizes and come in the same "format", but the fit and finish will be improved and refined. Once we have physical samples of the new Rockwell 6S available (prototypes are in the works), we'll be able to show everyone the progress. We currently can share updates through Kickstarter and email, which is why I suggested the email sign-up option. We're working on getting a B&B account as an additional means of communicating with the wet shaving community, but unfortunately we have been denied on several vendor applications in the past.

We're expecting the new Rockwell 6S will be fully compatible with the Kickstarter Edition. We will be ensuring all our early adopters are taken care of.

I just heard back from Gareth, and I have to say I'm totally satisfied both with his reply, and his handling of my question.Here's what he had to say:
In my three emails to them, this was not communicated to me at all, just sign up for updates on the site. If he had stated this or at least stated early adopters will be taken care of I would have been satisfied.Just got a reply stating that they have refunded my kickstarter edition and that my last reply requesting cancellation must have went to spam. Satisfied that they refunded my money but still disappointed with them and their process of how/what they communicate to direct customer concerns posted on their contact us link. I will probably still purchase one as I like new toys and I like their concept.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
An open comb set would be nice, too.

I am liking the looks of the handle. Kinda retro and it looks pretty hefty. Hope they get the top cap issues sorted out soon.

Apologies I didn't reply earlier, but since it looks like Gareth reached out to a few of you already my response is redundant, but I will share anyway.
Rockwell doesn't have a B&B account so I figure this is the best way to share information that we gather via email.
Reminder, him and I have the same name so try not to get confused!

First, what I said:

"Hi Gareth,

I urge you to read the recent comments on my B&B thread for your Rockwell Razor. Before this spins out of control again. I've tried to help with what information I have, but I think folks would like to hear from you guys regarding their inquiries.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-6s-All-Stainless-Razor?p=7563514#post7563514

Hope you guys are doing well!
Best,
-Gareth Stutley"

Here are some snippets of the e-mail I received back Saturday. I have removed some sections of the e-mail that did not pertain to this discussion:

"Hey Gareth,
Thanks for bringing my attention to this - looks like a) our spam filter must be going a little haywire and b) I need to get deeper into my morning coffee before answering customer emails.
We've been focusing a lot on product development rather than any marketing of the 6S Kickstarter Edition"
"Thanks for the offer for help, I definitely appreciate you passing along that B&B item and I've reached out to both those individuals personally.

Cheers,
[FONT=georgia, serif]
Gareth Everard -
Co-Founder, Rockwell Razors[email protected]
www.rockwellrazors.com
Rockwell Razors - customize your razor, stop buying cartridges, reinvent your shave
"
[/FONT]

Apologies I didn't reply earlier, but since it looks like Gareth reached out to a few of you already my response is redundant, but I will share anyway.
Rockwell doesn't have a B&B account so I figure this is the best way to share information that we gather via email.
Reminder, him and I have the same name so try not to get confused!

First, what I said:

"Hi Gareth,

I urge you to read the recent comments on my B&B thread for your Rockwell Razor. Before this spins out of control again. I've tried to help with what information I have, but I think folks would like to hear from you guys regarding their inquiries.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-6s-All-Stainless-Razor?p=7563514#post7563514

Hope you guys are doing well!
Best,
-Gareth Stutley"

Here are some snippets of the e-mail I received back Saturday. I have removed some sections of the e-mail that did not pertain to this discussion:

"Hey Gareth,
Thanks for bringing my attention to this - looks like a) our spam filter must be going a little haywire and b) I need to get deeper into my morning coffee before answering customer emails.
We've been focusing a lot on product development rather than any marketing of the 6S Kickstarter Edition"
"Thanks for the offer for help, I definitely appreciate you passing along that B&B item and I've reached out to both those individuals personally.

Cheers,

Gareth Everard -
Co-Founder, Rockwell Razors[email protected]
www.rockwellrazors.com
Rockwell Razors - customize your razor, stop buying cartridges, reinvent your shave
"

Yes he did contact me directly and the individual who did the refund of my kickstarter set. I will more than likely purchase a 6S set in the future but if they had stated they would be taking care of the early adapters as he noted, I would have been fine with that as it doesnt matter to me if a new refind finish or the current look as long as the top cap which appears to be the issue was replaced or they will give early adapters a good discount on the updated version.

Just back in rotation with my Rockwell today, used a "replacement version" #3 plate with a Maggard's V 1.0 cap, result = heavenly!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I bought my Rockwell in late July and had my first shave with it today. Since I am a mild shaver, I started with plate #1. I found the shave to be quite efficient and close. However it was very rough on my skin. It felt okay while shaving, but needless to say the alum and the aftershave both gave up quite a sting afterwards.

If I use a Maggards top cap, will it smooth out this beast? I am finding it very aggressive and harsh even on #1.

Also, I did email via their website over the weekend asking about the top cap issue. I will post here if I hear anything back.

I bought my Rockwell in late July and had my first shave with it today. Since I am a mild shaver, I started with plate #1. I found the shave to be quite efficient and close. However it was very rough on my skin. It felt okay while shaving, but needless to say the alum and the aftershave both gave up quite a sting afterwards.

If I use a Maggards top cap, will it smooth out this beast? I am finding it very aggressive and harsh even on #1.

Also, I did email via their website over the weekend asking about the top cap issue. I will post here if I hear anything back.

If you had used their original top cap for this shave, I would try using the Maggards cap next time to see if your results are similar.
I find using a Merkur topcap on my 6S works beautifully.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you had used their original top cap for this shave, I would try using the Maggards cap next time to see if your results are similar.
I find using a Merkur topcap on my 6S works beautifully.

Yes, that is the case. Used the razor on #1 with the original top cap. It fit beautifully and the blade alignment was spot on. But it was very rough on my neck. I will try it next time with the Maggards cap.

I only have a Maggards V2 cap. Can I use this? I also have a RazoRock Bazooka head in my box of misfit heads. It seems to be very close to the Maggards V1 head as far I can guess. I also have a Utopia head where I bought the whole razor just for the Utopia handle. It looks quite similar to the Maggards and RR heads too. So i will give some of them a try.

But i will wait a week or two to get my other razors a chance in the rotation. Then the Rockwell will get another shot or two.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, that is the case. Used the razor on #1 with the original top cap. It fit beautifully and the blade alignment was spot on. But it was very rough on my neck. I will try it next time with the Maggards cap.

I only have a Maggards V2 cap. Can I use this? I also have a RazoRock Bazooka head in my box of misfit heads. It seems to be very close to the Maggards V1 head as far I can guess. I also have a Utopia head where I bought the whole razor just for the Utopia handle. It looks quite similar to the Maggards and RR heads too. So i will give some of them a try.

But i will wait a week or two to get my other razors a chance in the rotation. Then the Rockwell will get another shot or two.

Thanks for the info.

From my experience, I've tried to use the RazoRock Babysmooth top cap on the Rockwell (out of curiosity), and the threading wouldn't match. Perhaps the threading on the Bazooka is different though.
I've read the Maggard top caps fit just fine.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
So I tried a couple of top caps for fitment.

1) The RazoRock Bazooka cap fit just fine on the razor. However, i noticed that due to the fact that the base plate leaves a gap under the center of the blade, the blade was warped when tightened. So that one is out. As mentioned, this head appears to be very similar, if not the same, as the Maggard V1. The Bazooka handle is the same as the Maggard MR-3.

2) The Maggard V2 top cap also fit just fine. However, the blade did appear to be just a wee bit tweaked as mentioned above. Not as bad as with the RR cap, but still noticeable.

3) The Utopia top cap fit just fine too. And displayed the same wee bit of warping just like the Maggard V2. I think these heads are exactly the same, with the exception that the plating on the Utopia is noticeably of a lessor quality than the Maggard head.

4) I tried the top cap from the Maggard Open Comb head. This one seems to fit the best of all. It still is not perfect. But it is very close. I would venture to attempt a shave with this one. I have attached photos for reference. You can just barely see that the blade does not fit flush with the top cap in the center. Would you shave with this? I have to think on it...

$2015-08-04 15.05.46.jpg

$2015-08-04 15.09.35.jpg

Rockwell released a very extensive update to their backers on the 14th.

"Dear Backers, We have some very exciting news to share with you in this update!

The Big News:

As you know, we are in the process of making a second round of Rockwell 6S’s in a new manufacturing method, called metal injection molding (MIM). Feel free to read through the last few updates if you need a detailed catch-up, but the summary is that MIM tolerances are extremely fine, and we’re very confident this process will produce the highest quality razor possible. The experience we've gained in the last year, coupled with the finer MIM manufacturing tolerances, has given us the opportunity to reconsider all fine aspects of the design of the Rockwell 6S and assess where we could make improvements to the original design. We took all the feedback we got from our backers, consulted with our engineers, and worked extensively with our manufacturing partners and decided that not only could we fix the cap but we could also improve on the design and quality of the base plates and color matching between the handle, the cap and base plates.
We told you several months ago that any backers interested in receiving a MIM cap would be able to receive one, free of charge, when they become available. We’re so thrilled with our new manufacturing process that we want to take this offer one step further.

We have decided to not only to produce and send you a replacement cap – We’ve decided to go all the way and are going to produce and send you a whole new MIM Rockwell 6S razor, entirely for free!

The most important outcome for this campaign is that our backers feel that they’ve been a part of a fantastic journey, and receive a product that exceeds their expectations. The best way to do that is to ensure our backers are the first to be able to request and receive the fully-MIM Rockwell 6S, entirely for free.
What’s improved in this design?
First, we modified the support ridge on the base plates, which now runs all the way across the plate. The benefit of this is a consistent edge for the blade to rest against. The new bars from the body of the plate to the safety bars are to ensure the bars stay perfectly straight during and after the manufacturing process. We’ve included a rendering of the new and improved design in the rendering below. Please note that the rendering does not include the knurling on the handle, which will remain the same as the popular handle that was included with the original Rockwell 6S.View attachment 601446
$rockwellrazor.png
Second, we will be producing all three base plates plus the cap using the advanced MIM process. We think the quality and precision of this process will blow you away. Third, with our manufacturing partner, we have developed a series of post-processing steps that will give the razor a greatly improved finish and result in better color and finish matching between the handle, base plates and cap. Finally, we’ve worked closely with our QC experts and manufacturing partner to implement strict quality control procedures, along with these manufacturing improvements, that will ensure a consistently fantastic product reaches our backers. To be clear, the razor looks almost identical to the original design, it's the details that have been improved - and we think you'll love the results.
We’ve said many times through this project that we want to deliver the best experience possible to our backers - and we want to take this opportunity to show you all just how committed we are to following through on that. Because the improvements we’ve made don’t just impact the cap, we’ve decided we owe our backers even better. So to be clear - We’re offering all our backers an additional Rockwell 6S, from the first production run of this new metal injection molded razor. If you backed us for more than one razor, you’ll be getting one new, fully metal injection molded razor for each each original Rockwell 6S you backed. You will be getting this new razor without any need to return your existing razor. All backers will be receiving an email, closer to the completion of manufacturing, inviting them to register for their new, free, Rockwell 6S.
Rockwell Stainless Steel Stand and Sheath Update

We are also very pleased to announce that, based on your feedback, we’ll be going forward with the manufacturing of the Rockwell Stand! The Rockwell Stand will be made in stainless steel in the USA and will be finished to match the Rockwell 6S at a cost of $25.

$rockwellstand.pngWe’re currently preparing a new ordering system that will allow our backers to update their shipping address and claim their Rockwell 6S’s from the new production run. When the system is done, you’ll receive an email inviting you to update your shipping address, and you’ll also be able to add extras to your cart like the Rockwell Stand (for $25) and the Rockwell Sheath (for $4) in Black or Grey.
$covers.jpg

Production Update
Our commitment to send you an entirely new razor is a very significant undertaking and investment, so naturally we want to make sure that new razor is the best possible product, prior to shipping to our backers. For this reason, we’ll be taking the time necessary to ensure we get it right. That being said, we wanted to share a progress update. The short version of the production update is that we are several weeks away from seeing the first production sample (known as the “first article”). Once this sample is approved, we will know our full production schedule and can give you a definite schedule for delivery.
Here’s more detail for the manufacturing-curious: Presently, all aspects of design are completed and we have ordered the new mold which is being delivered to our manufacturer in the next few weeks, after which a rigorous series of quality checks and tests will begin. Once the mold quality tests are completed, and if the mold doesn’t need any modifications, our manufacturer will be producing a small run of samples with the actual production mold and applying the actual post production steps to generate a collection of samples called the “first article”. These first articles are subject to detailed dimensional analysis. We will also asses all aspects of quality and finish based on the first article. Only once the first article is approved will we move forward to full production. If we find any aspect of the manufacturing that need to be addressed with the first article, we will make the necessary changes, and generate a new set of first articles. Once we haven approved first article, we will be able to provide a full production and delivery schedule with confidence. We are moving as quickly as possible to an approved first article but until it’s been approved, it will be challenging for us to give you exact delivery dates as part of a schedule. We will of course provide updates on the status of the mold and then first article in the next few weeks but can’t commit beyond that timeline until we have an approved first article.
Once production is completed, we’ll be shipping all requested replacement razors by tracked mail. We’ve learned a lot from this campaign, the most significant lesson being that nothing comes good of rushing to get a product out the door. We hope you understand that in lieu of firmly committing to dates that are realistically difficult to project and predict, we want to give you fully transparent updates all the way up to the ship date, and ship you a jaw-droppingly incredible razor.
Just a quick final reminder: we’ll be posting an update in the coming weeks once our new ordering system is ready, and at that time you’ll be able to request your new, free, MIM Rockwell 6S. As always, we want to thank you all for your support of this project, and we look forward to your feedback in the comments section under this update.

Gareth & Morgan
Rockwell Razors"

Last edited:
I will be stocking their new razor and will have the replacement top caps and new adjustment bars available for those who purchased any units from me.

$4Ucc814.jpg

$Photo Nov 25, 8 54 29 AM.jpg

Rockwell sent me one of the recently announced MIM Rockwell 6S Razors and I got to shave with one this morning. Here are my thoughts that I posted on another forum:

"I'm no good at reviews, so we'll see how I do.

I am thoroughly impressed with the new Rockwell 6S. I was a believer in the concept with their original kickstarter edition razor despite it's well known issues, and I was able to use the first edition with some success after I dialed down some of the variables. I still liked it, but I had to be a bit more careful using it.

The new MIM Rockwell razor throws all the old concerns out the window. It is impeccably built and very easy on the eyes. It's weight is substantial but not obligatory.
My shave this morning was effortless on the #2 plate. Very mild, almost too mild- which makes me excited to ramp it up and try the more aggressive plates (a total of 3 plates with 2 "adjustments" on each plate). This is a good thing though, the previous version had very aggressive plates even on the lower settings which alienated a large number of folks. The guys at Rockwell listened, and adjusted the new razor accordingly.

Not only am I a believer, but I imagine the Rockwell will now be my go-to choice in the morning."

For an in depth look, check it out on our site :
Rockwell 6S (MIM) all stainless razor

Last edited:
Very nice.

From everything I have been seeing it appears that they got everything worked out this time. I can't wait to get mine in.

Have you tried the new blades?

[MENTION=90532]Riyame[/MENTION] I have not tried the new blades yet, I want to give the razor a solid test with a blade I am used to before throwing in another unknown. I'll report back when I do try them though!

Hmm . . . that looks considerably nicer than the initial run. This may be a backup Christmas gift for someone I know (not myself, as I am on an ATT slant kick) . . .

So I've been waiting for all pieces to arrive and I am now ready to start my SS showdown.

I have purchased a Rockwell 6S and an ATT 7pc. set with R2, H2, S2 heads, Kronos, and Colossus handles.

I'm really looking forward to putting these two sets through their paces and I'll sign in here every once in a while to let you know my thoughts on the razors!

Since the Rockwell has been here for almost a week now I've had the opportunity to have three shaves with her on the #2 plate with the supplied Rockwell blade and it's so smooth!! No nicks or irritation on both my head and face, way nicer than my Merkur Progress on setting 2.

More to come from this newby!!

Top Bottom