What's new

Blackheads, HELP!

Since I was first expelled from the womb 23 years ago, I've never had a problem with acne. I wash my face once a day in the shower with a wash rag and a bar of soap, (dial, zest, whatever). I have noticed lately that my nose (but not the rest of my face) has been extra oily, and I have blackheads on it. I've tried the St. Ives apricot scrub, Biore warming blackhead cleanser, and Biore pore unclogging scrub, with little or no success. These things aren't big enough to be really noticeable, i just see them when I shave, look up close in the mirror, whatever. Any suggestions?

Most drug stores [I know of in my neighborhood] sell acne strips specifically designed for your nose. Man when those things come off it's pretty scary to see what's been goin' down on the skin on your nose.
Alternatively you could buy some French Green Clay from Charles at QED. I haven't tried it yet although I plan on placing an order very soon. From what I've heard that stuff can make Freddy Kruger's skin look like freshly woven satin :blink:

-Michael

Since I was first expelled from the womb 23 years ago, I've never had a problem with acne. I wash my face once a day in the shower with a wash rag and a bar of soap, (dial, zest, whatever). I have noticed lately that my nose (but not the rest of my face) has been extra oily, and I have blackheads on it. I've tried the St. Ives apricot scrub, Biore warming blackhead cleanser, and Biore pore unclogging scrub, with little or no success. These things aren't big enough to be really noticeable, i just see them when I shave, look up close in the mirror, whatever. Any suggestions?

If pores are deep biore strips will not get them out completly. Go to professional beauty salon and have them to squeeze out your black heads for you. It's a long (about an hour), somewhat painfull process that could get quite expensive too. Plus you gotta find good person to do it. If done wrong you will end up with red swollen irritated skin and not all blackheads will be completly removed. Basically it's a step by step process: clean your face, steam it well, have that person to PROPERLY squeeze all the black heads on your face using the right tools. Then couple of calming masks and finally round of roller deeped in liquid azote on your face to calm down your red irritated skin. Your beautician can also prescribe cleansing solution for your type of skin to order at the pharmacy. That's how it was done in my home country for me. I was blessed to find a very good, experienced professional who knew what she was doing. My friend wasn't so lucky and ended up with irritated skin on his face. I told him to go to my lady and he was fine afterwards.
That is the right and only proper way to get rid of blackheads. All this other stuff like cetaphil, strips, scrubs doesn't really do anything. If you don't have the means You can do this cleansing procedure at home by steaming your face over pan of hot boiled water under the towel and squeezing those black heads yourself, but beware your face will be very irritated and all swollen and red for couple of days. Be gentle and do not damage your skin by squeezing too hard, or using fingernails.Time this procedure on the weekend so you can be at home for a few days where people can't see you:)

But guess what those damn blackheads come back again so you will need to do it on the regular basis. There is no way to get rid of them once and for all. Just like with acne it can eventually stop at all or keep going on for years. It's your body physiology, nothing you can do about that. You may reduce consuption of fatty and salty foods however, see if this helps. You can also see the doctor for pills, but there is no instant cure. Oily face and blackheads is what nature has given you. It's not that bad in comparison with some other facial skin problems people having.

Also stop using regular bath soaps to wash your face, they are too harsh and make the skin extra oily by stripping off natural oils, so your skin overcompensates by producing more oil, making your face even more oily. Just find mild face wash with lotion in it and don't use it too often. Periodic splash of hot water would be good enough. Hope this helps.

Search for the thread on the oil cleansing method. It is very counterintuitive, but it has worked like a charm for me. Even though I'm in my forties, I got periodic breakouts of acne, usually when the weather changed or there was a uptick in stress. (I expected to be done with that when I hit 20!) Since trying DE shaving plus OCM, however, I have not gotten a single blemish from ingrown hairs, acne, or any other cause. YMMV, but I have had a great experience with it.

Green Clay helps but I think Fullers Earth Clay is the strongest at pulling up gunk from the skin. I have not used it yet, it is on the must try list.

try noxzema type cleanser.leave it on at least five minutes.remove with a hot wet cloth.this will remove quite a bit of buildup out of the pores.you may have to do this several times a week.it should help/diminish the problem.

Let me second the recommendation to try the Oil Cleansing Method, which works for a myriad of people in the same situation. Best - MM

If you're gong to squeeze them yourself ensure you wash your hands/fingertips and cover your fingers with clean tissue paper, this is to prevent the bacteria which resides under your nails and on your finger tips from infecting the squeezed area and making a mess of the wound.

try noxzema type cleanser.leave it on at least five minutes.remove with a hot wet cloth.this will remove quite a bit of buildup out of the pores.you may have to do this several times a week.it should help/diminish the problem.

I guess it's YMMV, because when I ran out of one facewash, I decided to try Noxzema, since I love the smell, and all it did was clog my pores up worse. So I got some Cetaphil. I'm still considering the OCM.

I've suffered from blackheads and all-around bad skin since I was 14. A good dose of Accutane (marvelous drug) cleared up most of my problems a while back, but I still, at 26, have issues with blackheads.

I've been using the oil cleansing method for about one month now, and I can honestly say that my skin has never looked or felt better. I still have a few blackheads, but they are slowly starting to disappear. If you haven't already, give oil cleansing a try. It only takes a few days to start seeing results, and once you start you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Honestly.

If pores are deep biore strips will not get them out completly. Go to professional beauty salon and have them to squeeze out your black heads for you.

Good advice if you can afford it. My ex-girlfriend's sister was a day spa worker and I got this done for cheap. It feels great getting all that crap outta your face. She also did it to my back and it felt great as well.

I'm 25 with combo skin and I still got minor acne all over my face. Even the dry areas. It's pretty frustrating so I can relate. The Rx pills did nothing, the over the counter did nothing. It must be hormonal. Look on the brightside, we still have the hormones of a teenager baby!!

The Oil Cleansing Method and/or the Clay Mask seem interesting, indeed...

Please don't squeeze blackheads. It is a terrible thing to start doing. It is addictive and will make your skin problems worse!

"[repetitive and often self-harming behaviors] typically serve no adaptive function and are often performed on a habitual basis, with no real awareness of the behavior. An example of such a behavior is the ritualistic "skin pick". When an individual picks or squeezes the skin, this behavior is typically performed for a number of reasons: 1) In an attempt to alter cosmetic appearance associated with whiteheads and blackheads, 2) To reduce pain or pressure associated with a cyst or large pimple, 3) It can become "fun" (or a stress relief) to see the "white matter" ejected from your skin (one need only search for "zit popping" on You Tube to view clips of individuals basking in the glory of a productive pimple-popping session), 4) We don't really even think about it. Perhaps there is even a reason or two why you do it that was not included in this list. Nevertheless, the typical acne sufferer is drawn to the mirror throughout the day to check the status of his or her skin, and picking can ensue. This process, however, begins to morph into a habit that perpetuates an addicting and vicious cycle. The cycle goes a little something like this: A pimple appears-we feel it on our face or see it while inspecting our faces in the mirror-we experience the urge to squeeze and pick-we squeeze and pick-irritation from our actions fosters more acne-a new pimple appears-well, you get the idea.

The problems with popping a pimple include irritation and the potential that your hands may be oily and will leave that oil on the face. We know that irritation and prolonged exposure to oil are two big factors in acne formation"

Read how to stop picking at: http://www.acne.org/habit-reversal.html

Please don't squeeze blackheads. It is a terrible thing to start doing. It is addictive and will make your skin problems worse!

I couldn't agree more. Whatever cleanser you do end up using, try to minimize your picking. It just leads to sores and scarring.

Neutrogena, I believe, makes a blackhead scrub that is quite good. My wife uses it for her nose.

Good luck. Be patient. And remember, this will all pass with time. :001_smile

Hola, jones2289!

Don't panic. It's perfectly normal for your face to go through an adjustment period when you begin wetshaving. You are stimulating your oil glands when you use the brush. Eventually, your skin will adjust to the new regimen, and you'll be left with skin that's more healthy than ever... not to mention more clean-shaven! You could spend a fortune on products to treat this temporary condition. However, the best, cheapest product that you can use is Aloe Vera. You can use it anywhere on you body. You can even ingest it! It's great for sunburns, too!

Hang in there!

Ciao,
chop-chop

Top Bottom