What's new

Blade crapped out in the middle of my shave

This morning I was shaving with my New SC loaded with a Derby Extra. In the middle of the shave in the start of a new stroke, my razor stopped as if I hit a speed bump and the blade dug in. Hurt like the blazes and bleed pretty good. After that I couldn't get the bade to shave anymore. It just wanted to pull. So loaded in Shark Super Chrome and continued with out further incident. Anyone else have a blade quit on thec in the middle of a shave?

I knew before I opened this post that it was a Derby. That has never happened to me, but as awful as it was to try one, I am not surprised.

TERRIBLE blade in my opinion.

Every time I swap out a blade it is during a shave.

No big....

Just drop it out and pop in another one from the bull pen

proxy.php

Every time that's happened to me it's been on a TTO razor and the knob's worked its way loose. Tightened it back up and was good as new.

The only DE blades I tempt fate with are Personna 74*s and Gillette "Spoiler" Super Stainless... those last for so long that they are worth using until they start to fail (often dozens of shaves). With other blades I have a set limit based on previous experience, usually between two and five shaves, I toss the blades at that limit whether they seem OK still or not, this saves on the impromptu face surgery!

Honestly, I've never had a blade go from good performance to butchery in anything less than several full passes, so once a blade starts to hint at harshness or tugging there's still time to swap it out before the bloodbath begins ;)

Derbys tug on my whiskers fresh out of the pack anyway, IMO there are plenty of better performers in the same price range.

I hate that when it happens. I much prefer to toss blades a bit too early than to have even a one in four chance of feeling it fail midshave. I experiment a bit with new blades, but once I've got the range, I toss them well inside their limits. Besides, it's now unlikely i'll live to use all of the ones I have.

I like Derby in my DE89. They work well. I tried a newly aquired Tech the other day. It's an English flat bottom type so I didn't know how it would compare with my USA Techs. Anyway popped in a new Derby and started. At first I didn't quite know what was going on both cheeks WTG, one was OK one was a bit rough. Neck area WTG was OK but rough in parts. Not sure I like this Tech I thought. Then started XTG, same as above, a bit odd in places, not nice in places. Started ATG on the neck HOLLY BROKEN BISCUITS BATMAN summats not right the razor's guff.

So I'm staring at it checking blade alignment etc then shaved a wee test area on my belly. Fine on one side, turned the razor over and...the other edge was as blunt as Winston Churchill at a Women's Association tea party. Never experienced that before with any blade although I had one once both edges were blunt.

Might explain the OP's experience. Maybe not.

Only had this happen with TTOs when they losen up mid shave. Seems to happen more with Kronas and Super Speeds. The lock down on Fatboys and Slims solves the problem as does doing a quick check when rinsing.

Top Bottom