What's new

Favorite Semogue

I like the 820 and 830 for acrylic handles. The 1250 and 1800 for wooden handles.

I haven't met a Semogue I didn't like.

At the moment 1305 is my favourite but i have SOC boar and SOC 2-band badger coming from Portugal. Only time will tell if other of those brushes will take that best place.

Mine are my Horn silver tip and 2 band brushes. They are amazing in every way.

I do wish they'd do an LE for this year though. They are always so different and so cool.

+1 for their 2-band brushes, my BC Texugo is my favourite Semogue.

+1 for another round of LE brush(es). Always exciting, great quality, superb pricing.

I've had a SOC Cherrywood for a few weeks and an 830 that I just got yesterday. I feel like the 830 is going to wind up as my favorite between the two, due to the size of the knot and the handle shape/size feeling very "right" to me.

820 has been the closest to ideal for me. 830 too floppy, 620 too small, SOC too big.

I bought the 820 recently and I'm curious if you mostly bowl-lather or face-lather with this brush? I'm just trying to get the most out of it. Anyone else that really like this brush want to chime in about it. It certainly is a pretty brush.

$Semogue 820.jpg

I have a Kent BK 8 badger and thought that was the cat's pajamas for about a year. Then I took the plunge and picked up and SOC. That BK 8 hasn't been used much in the last 2 yrs. Now I just picked up a 610. Finally starting to get broken in. What a great little brush. I went back to my badger last week, trying some bowl lather. Lasted one shave. Back in the cabinet with the badger. I'm all boar.

830 and SOC 2-band finest. The SOC 2-band is a lot of brush for the money. At the same time, the 830 gets a little better with each use.

Last edited:
I feel silly buying a 610 when I have a 620, but I really need to try one for peace of mind. I do love blondes.

Is there a backbone difference?
There are more than just cosmetic differences between the 610 and 620.

The 610 has a better grade of knot, it is Best 90%, as opposed to the 620's Extra 75%.

I find the 620 to be a tad too scritchy. I've never had a 610, but sight unseen, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, based on my experience with the 1305 which has the same grade knot.

The 1305 was my favorite brush of all time, and it was my go-to face lathering tool for about 4 years, until it got too floppy and didn't hold much water any more. I tried several cleaning methods to revive it, but it never came back to its former glory.

I've got two SOCs, but as others have noted, they are just too darn big. The cherry one is scritchy with plenty of backbone, the ash handle is soft as a cloud but too floppy.

My current Semogue is a 2010 Custom blond ... I don't know the exact specs on it, but it is about the same size as my 620. It took a lot to break this one in, but the effort was worth it.

I have a Kent BK 8 badger and thought that was the cat's pajamas for about a year. Then I took the plunge and picked up and SOC. That BK 8 hasn't been used much in the last 2 yrs. Now I just picked up a 610. Finally starting to get broken in. What a great little brush. I went back to my badger last week, trying some bowl lather. Lasted one shave. Back in the cabinet with the badger. I'm all boar.

I went all boar for about 4 years, but there are some situations where a badger is called for. MWF seems to call out for a badger brush, as do some high-end creams like Penhal's Blenheim Bouquet and C&E SAO. And there are times I just want to mix it up a little and use something different.

I've got a bunch of badger brushes in the drawer, but the ones that made the cut and returned to Active Rotation are Rooney 3/1 Super, Wee Scot, and recently the B&B LE'12 with a Shavemac DO1 knot.

Top Bottom