What's new

Looking for a good scotch.

Green Label is one of the best I've ever tried. Sadly no longer produced.
Thank goodness, Its making a comeback ... After an abscence of a couple of years, I'm starting to see it on the shelves again in at least 3 different stores.

Yeah, JW Green is a really nice drink. I used to treat myself to a bottle about once a year and savor it at home for special occasions. The only reason that JW Black is my go-to drink is that I can find it at the bars I go to. If those same bars served Green, then that's what I'd be drinking when I go out on the town.

I'll recommend Balvenie, either Doublewood or Caribbean Cask.
Both are great to start with. Caribbean Cask is sweeter. I would consider doublewood a great place to start. Its very middle of the road. Not to peaty or sweet and a good price point

My personal opinion is that good is subjective but not when it comes to alcohol. Entry level of anything is sub par for enjoying. These types of alcohols, such as VSOP Cognac or captain Morgan, et cetera, are for mixing. Sipping alcohol is what I'm assuming your looking for. And I'm not experienced in scotch as I just recently got into scotch. However, Glenfiddich 18 is what I am drinking now. My pallet is just passable enough to actually taste it. And it's pretty damn good imo. Recommended.

I prefer Bruichladdich in both their peated and non-peated ranges.

Their Organic was fantastic, not sure if it's still available or not, but the Islay Barley is good too.

If you like peat, try the Bruichladdich Octomore but make sure you are sitting down first!

:lol:

I DO like it!

I prefer Bruichladdich in both their peated and non-peated ranges.

Their Organic was fantastic, not sure if it's still available or not, but the Islay Barley is good too.

If you like peat, try the Bruichladdich Octomore but make sure you are sitting down first!

+1 for the Bruichladdich! Their Gin - Botanist is something quite special too if you like Gin

.., Glenfiddich 18 is what I am drinking now. My pallet is just passable enough to actually taste it. And it's pretty damn good imo. Recommended.
The Glenfiddich 18 is spectacular, but probably close to twice what the OP wants to spend. If you can find it, try Edradour, from the smallest distillery in Scotland.

Monkey Shoulder was mentioned above and is a nice blend. I know I will be laughed at by some single malt snobs, but my son and I both like J&B a lot. It all depends on your taste...

To the op: scotch can be expensive. The best value scotch for me for a single malt is cardhu 12 year. It is smooth with great flavor. Not overly smokey like laguvlin and not to sweet. It can be had for about 45 bucks for a bottle. Some blended scotch out there like johnny walker and chivas and various others arw good but i much prefer most single malts. Once you have become hooked and start spending more everyone sounded off on all the ones you want to try. As far as entry level though the cardhu 12 is the way to go.

The Arran 10 yo is a well-made, great tasting, good value scotch. You should be able to find it for around $40-45.

Laphroaig, Lagavulin.
Vertical sampling of both lines should find you something you'll like, but that's about as deep as I get.

Oh my. Both are very good tastea indeed.
I brought back two 21 year olds from vacation last week. Got to love duty free... an Aberfeldy 21 year old single malt and Johnnie XR 21 year blend. Gonna try the Aberfeldy tonight (fingers crossed). I've already burned through a few XRs which have been smooth and satisfying.

Top Bottom