What's new

So what was your original brush and do you still have it?

I started 'classical shaving' only recently (in 2009) so I don't have old vintage stuff. The first one I bought is a Muehle "Kosmo" pure badger with black resin handle. I'm still using it in my rotation and it holds up pretty well so far. I've had two other Muehle badgers since but those unfortunately had to be relegated to the 'circular file' since they wouldn't stop shedding. I prefer other brands these days for natural hair brushes. Synthetics are different, Muehle's STF are quite ok.

EJ Best Badger. Still have it, never use it. 99% of the time it's the Omega Pro 10049 for me, or else the B&B Essential Boar.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Etsy Boar in a 'found wood' handle. Was extremely disappointed by every aspect of this brush, and it ended up in the trash. I would have PIFd if I had known about PIFs back then. Moved on to a Semogue 1305, SBAD, and so on.

Twezerman, still use it almost every day (I only have that and a travel brush) One day I will get a nice brush as an upgrade, but no rush

Omega 81230. My Mom bought it for me years ago as a gift, and I never used it. Just sat there on my shelf. When I decided 6 months ago to try wetshaving, part of the reason was that brush just sitting there. Now I have a badger and a synthetic, but I've decided, no matter how many brushes I get, I'm keeping this one. At first I thought I needed to get a better brush to make really good lather, but of course it was just my technique. The Omega works great!

GREAT question! Razors and blades seem to come and go, but brushes - at least for me - engender a bond.

Yes, I still have my first brush. It's a Muhle 33 Silvertip purchased at KaDeWe in Berlin. In fact, I bought it while my first razor (a Merkur 1904) and blades (Personna Blues) were still in the mail.

The 1904 is long gone and I've found other blades I like better, but the Muhle is still a favorite - if not the favorite - in my rotation.

I gave away my first 3 brushes. First was a proraso boar bought at target, second was an Edwin Jagger best badger and third was a shavemac silvertip

A Perfecto (same class as a Tweezerman) from Amazon. Still have it, but it began shedding so I no longer use it. I have held on to it for sentimental reasons.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My first was a huge Parker silvertip and I still have it on the shelf - although I have not used it in years.

Semogue 1305 boar. In my regular rotation.

I used it this morning. It has been broken in for some time now, and it is an amazing brush.

The strangely branded Burma Shave brush was my first, but the knot fell apart years ago. Still have the handle though.

Shea Moisture black Badger brush from Target. Not a bad brush as brushes go and it got me started-I still have it but don't use it.

Top Bottom