What's new

So what was your original brush and do you still have it?

I still have the first shaving brush I ever bought. I was attending a conference in Boston, MA around 2006 or 2007 and I found a C.O. Bigelow store. I bought a small pure badger C.O. Bigelow brush for around $25. It is still going strong and has rarely been out of my brush rotation for very long. I later found out that the brush was made for C.O. Bigelow by EJ. It lost 3 or 4 hairs in the beginning and I noticed another come out last week. Some of the chrome has worn off the metal collar between the handle and the knot. It just keeps whipping up great lather! At this point, I suspect it will outlast me!! :001_smile

What's your first shaving brush and do you still have it??

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yes, made it for myself, and still have it. Use, not longer, as I set the knot too high. Just a keeper as a memorabilia.

Van Der Hagen. While shaking out access water one morning after having for about a month, the knot came out of the handle. Didn't care for the handle and there was nothing wrong with the knot, so I put the knot into a handle I made.
$20150317_213223.jpg

Tweezerman, Omega 48, and C&E Best Badger(somehow, I can never just purchase one of anything!).

The Tweezerman and the C&E were PIF'd long ago.

marty

My first brush is an AOS best badger. Still my primary brush although I've recently acquired an omega pro 48 that is moving in on the AOS'S turf.

I started long before I knew what I was doing in the brushes department with a Muhle silvertip, in olivewood and nickel silver bottom handle.

Still a solid choice, and still a good performer in my den.

Omega pro 48. I still have it, but I'm replacing it with another one. When I was first starting out, I mashed it down a lot and broke a lot of bristles. I love this brush. Its great for head shaving.

Ever Ready K40 in Best purchased in 1973 as a set with an Old Spice mug and a puck of soap that may have been Old Spice as well. I still have the brush though I retired it in 2000 after I noticed it had lost 3/4 of its hair. I still have the Old Spice mug, but it, too, is retired.

My first brush was a Peerless 500 Pure Badger that I found NIB in an antique store. $9 later, it was mine. I used it for a couple of months and replaced it with a C&E BBB, which at the time was the B&B recommendation as the must-have brush. I used that one for about a year.

Yes, I still have them both.

It's a cheap Escali badger brush... and I still use it because it's my only brush.

...until my new Whipped Dog synthetic brush comes! Then, we'll have to see.

My parents gave me a "Barbershop Shave Set" in the seventies. It included a mug, wooden handled boar brush and a cake of soap. I must have used it for a decade at least and I really abused it. I didn't even rinse the brush out after use. Instead I used to leave it wet and full of soap in the mug itself. The plastic at the base eventually cracked and eventually the bristles started to fall out.

Tweezerman Baby! Tweezerman in all of it's clipped, pokey, scratchy glory.

I sill have it for sentimental reasons and still face lather with it occasionally. It has good density and flow-through and if wasn't made of clipped hair, it would be a good brush.

Top Bottom