What's new

Odd skin reaction to Zippo lighter

First off, I don't smoke! Well, there was that one time when I set fire to myself welding underneath the car but that's a different story!

I do however always carry with me a lighter. Not sure why. Just a quirk I guess. Sometimes my dad's old Dupont (love that PING! on opening it) but more usually just a shiny Zippo. As a contact lens wearer I find it makes a handy mirror!

I have noticed though that my skin seems to be getting sensitive to it. I carry it in the little pocket of my Levis. The small, front one on the right hand side and I noticed that sometimes I feel a tingling sensation on my hip under the lighter. The other day I noticed the skin was a little red there.

I guess perhaps I have become sensitised to the napthalene used in the lighter fluid. Indeed the sensation is much more pronounced after I have filled the lighter.

Was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Will have to switch to a gas lighter or start carrying a pocket watch there instead I guess :001_smile

Simon

I have heard one should never put a recently filled zippo in their pocket as they can leak if overfilled and the fluid causes skin irritation. It could be that the lighter has begun leaking...

While I haven't experienced the sensation myself with my lighter, I have a friend that complained about this as well. Turns out he was overfilling causing some leakage. The stuff does make a great solvent don't forget. Solvents + skin typically isn't recommended.

I usually don't fill it right before I start carrying it for the reasons suggested. I was thinking perhaps being in a warm pocket the lighter gives of vapours that might irritate?

Simon

In agreement with the others here, it's most likely due to overfilling. Back in my regular smoking days, this happened to me on more than one occasion after first getting my Zippo. The tingling is definitely you getting irritated by the fluid. You also need to realize that if the Zippo shifts around in your pocket, perhaps you cross one leg over the other when sitting, you will allow the fluid to seep out. I just resorted to filling less and more often.

All I have to say is lighter fluid makes a great substitute for turpentine. +1 on being one hell of a solvent. Any of that getting on your skin will iritate it.

OK, will try filling it with less. I almost never actually use it (to make fire) as I said but it would be silly to carry about a lighter that doesn't actually work right :001_smile

SImon

zippos always either leak a bit or evaporate fuel, which soaks in to your jeans when using the coin pocket for the zippo,
then you get a zippo burn, i like my zippo,
the zippo is better for dark places, but the directional flame of my Dupont X-Tend seems more usfull,

The Zippos are great lighters if you have a need for one. The burn is from the fuel. Back when I smoked I used Zippos part of the time and would get burns like you are describing. If you are intent on carrying a fuel filled lighter, see if you can find one of the old Scripto Vu Lighters. They were the clear ones where you could see the fuel in the tank,
Good Luck, Ken.

I don't have much to add the the advice above, but I would add that if you want to continue to carry your zippo but don't want that reaction, I believe there are drop-in modules that use butane instead of traditional lighter fluid that fit into classic zippo cases. It'll have a torch-type flame instead of the traditional zippo flame (whether this is good or bad is a matter of personal preference), but the fluid will be entirely contained and thus not cause a reaction.

The other alternative is to put your zippo into a pouch such as one of these. That should be enough to shield your skin from the chemicals in and on the lighter itself, and thus you could continue to carry your lighter.

The other alternative is to put your zippo into a pouch such as one of these. That should be enough to shield your skin from the chemicals in and on the lighter itself, and thus you could continue to carry your lighter.

+1. I miss my belt holster. Never had to go fumbling past a set of keys or coins or whathaveyou.

Maybe you would like the Zippo BLU. I don't smoke but I got one on eBay when they first came out (about a year ago) just because they looked so cool. It's nicely engineered; I haven't had any problems with it.

Maybe you would like the Zippo BLU. I don't smoke but I got one on eBay when they first came out (about a year ago) just because they looked so cool. It's nicely engineered; I haven't had any problems with it.

Thanks for that. I have never seen them before. Will have to see if they are available here (but they'll still be cheaper ordering from overseas probably).

Simon

Top Bottom