What's new

M Bomb (menthol additive)

Does anyone have experience with this product.
I was thinking of trying adding it to lather this summer.

$MBOMBf.jpg

http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=203
Created to add menthol to any non-mentholated shaving cream or soap,
this product can also be added to pre-shaves or aftershaves.

I like the menthol in C.O. Bigelow cream in hot weather...
so I thought maybe give some soap lathers (DRH or MWF) a menthol bump.

Good, bad, dangerous,or worst sacrilegious?

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited:
I saw someone mention that on here, I ordered some, but have never tried it. Like you, I've never been sure which soap it would work best with.

From my understanding, it was made to mix w/ after shaves, but some have probably mixed them in with their lather or shave cream.

marty

From my understanding, it was made to mix w/ after shaves, but some have probably mixed them in with their lather or shave cream.

marty

Marty,

As I posted under the link this quote from their web site:
"Created to add menthol to any non-mentholated shaving cream or soap"

So the maker thinks it's for adding to lather but I haven't found anyone who has actually tried it.
Still hoping someone has tried it with soap/cream and can tell us how it worked.
I'm a little gun shy being the first to try it.

I've added it to a lot of soaps and creams. If you have any SIM, adding the MBomb is a fantastic combo. I even added it to Proraso green. Now THAT is a menthol experience. I liked it, but it is intense.

It it doesn't play well with cella and other almond soaps for me.

Play around with it.

I bought it specifically for adding to soaps and creams. Works great. Never used it for aftershave. I just use menthol crystals for that.

Does anyone have experience with this product.
I was thinking of trying adding it to lather this summer.

View attachment 570045

http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=203
Created to add menthol to any non-mentholated shaving cream or soap,
this product can also be added to pre-shaves or aftershaves.

I like the menthol in C.O. Bigelow cream in hot weather...
so I thought maybe give some soap lathers (DRH or MWF) a menthol bump.

Good, bad, dangerous,or worst sacrilegious?

Thanks,
Curt
It became obsolete after I started mixing menthol crystals in my aftershaves.

You can buy a pound of menthol crystals on eBay or Amazon for about the same price and that would make GALLONS of that stuff. Menthol will dissolve very well in alcohol, glycerin and propylene glycol, not very well in water.

About 3%-4% by weight in an after-shave is pretty chilly, 5% is about like "Snake Bite". If you were going to add it to shave soap then dissolve it in glycerin and add drops as you like. If you are a person who likes a lot of menthol in your soap, my fear is that product (which contains oils) would hurt the lather. I say all this without having tried it so YMMV.

Solubility in alcohol and PG is up to 1g/ml. (http://www.pharma-ingredients.basf....rma Solutions/03_130101e_L-Menthol Pharma.pdf). This would make a couple of drops pretty darned potent.

You can buy a pound of menthol crystals on eBay or Amazon for about the same price and that would make GALLONS of that stuff.
Agreed. I bought my M-Bomb a long time ago, early in my wet shaving career. I still use it occasionally, but will not replace it when it's gone. I'll just use menthol crystals from here on out.

Top Bottom