What's new

Warm weather cocktails

Thanks for the suggestions!!

OOOOHHH!! Rum and Tonic huh???? That sounds pretty good! Do you spiced rum, dark rum, or light rum? I have a bottle of bacardi (the clear stuff) that might get some use!

Bacardi light with tonic. Yes!

I've never had spiced rum. I prefer to add my own spices.

Edit: Since you are already a bourbon drinker, let me suggest one of my favorites - whiskey sour, made with fresh squeezed lemon juice and simple syrup.

Last edited:
If you like bourbon (like me), you can do a whisky sour in the summer and get away with it quite well.

Beyond that, and I do drink less whisky in the summer, I like G&T, martinis, and especially mojitos. My wife doesn't drink much, but I could get her snookered on my mojitos. :w00t:

You might also consider some classic shaken cocktails that are now more often made in a blender. Try a pina colada or margarita that you make in a shaker and serve over ice instead of with ice incorporated via the blender - very nice for something sweeter in the summer.

Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer and lime). Sometimes Ill make a mojito or a mint julep with mint from my garden.

Mojitos FTW. On occasion, I'll batch up some homemade simple syrup (made with Sugar in the Raw), fresh squeezed lime, Bacardi Superior, and S. Pellegrino. Muddle a sprig of mint in a glass and pour over crushed ice.

It's the cleanest, most refreshing blast of booze incognito I've had the privilege of putting lips to. For those interested, here's the drink recipe.

Can't go wrong with a Long Island tea (aka Texas Tea) on a hot day. Tequila, triple sec, vodka, rum and gin, with an orange slice, and a dash of cola.....yum! Tough to walk after just one

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Gin&Tonic for a cocktail on a seriously hot summer day, but it's gotta be good gin, no bargain basement bathtub swill. When Rolling Rock was still in Latrobe, Pa., before Anhauser Busch bought them, moved brewing to N.J. and ruined it, nothing could beat a six of ice cold ponies, except maybe 2 sixes; alas those days are gone. Troegs Sunshin Pils is my choice now, especially since it's brewed just down the road.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks for the suggestions!!

OOOOHHH!! Rum and Tonic huh???? That sounds pretty good! Do you spiced rum, dark rum, or light rum? I have a bottle of bacardi (the clear stuff) that might get some use!
Dark rum is my favorite, but light rum works just fine. The sweetness of the rum balances so well with the bitter tonic. It's a beach deck favorite.

I've not tried it with spiced rum, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to give it a try if you like spiced rum.

Someone brought up amaretto. That also mixes well with tonic.

I work in a cocktail bar (not high end) and came up with this for summer:

Summer Sour

25ml Gin
25ml Aperol
25ml Fresh lemon juice
1 egg white.

Shake on ice and strain into a glass of your choice. Quick, easy and very refreshing.

Have you ever tried using store bought egg whites? I was thinking about doing a similar drink for a small party were throwing where I'll be playing bartender. It would be much easier to have a bit of store bought egg whites on hand.

I know for a fact they don't work well in egg white based icing for cakes. They just don't whip up properly since they are pasteurized.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I made lemonade. I then cut up a pineapple, crushed half of it untill it was really juicy and left the other half in pieces.
I then put the crushed pineapple and all the pieces in to the pitcher of lemonade.

Holy moly it's delicious! I'm thinking vodka, gin or rum and it would make a killer cocktail.

I'm calling it The Toothpick.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I made lemonade. I then cut up a pineapple, crushed half of it untill it was really juicy and left the other half in pieces.
I then put the crushed pineapple and all the pieces in to the pitcher of lemonade.

Holy moly it's delicious! I'm thinking vodka, gin or rum and it would make a killer cocktail.

I'm calling it The Toothpick.
That cries out for Rum, and it sounds delicious. I may have to try it

Try Uncle Val's Botanical Gin. It is a unique mix of botanicals — juniper, cucumber, lemon, sage and lavender. You can drink this stuff on the rocks with a twist of lemon or a cucumber wedge and be happy.

Top Bottom