What's new

Looking for a new A/S. Help needed!

I'm in love with all these "Barber Shop" aftershaves I have (eg: Master, Stephan, Pinaud, Booster etc) but my female and male friends sometime tell me I smell like an old man. My wife (we are going through a divorce) came over yesterday and was going through my cabinet smelling all the different scents. She didnt know I took this DE thing up as a hobby 5 months ago. She was laughing at all the so-called "Old Man" scents. She didnt like anything. The only thing she kinda liked was the SCS New Spice, but that is an EDT. She said the SCS Bay Rum with a Twist smelled like floor cleaner, but my question is this:

I only have many cheap after shaves as I noted above. Are the English aftershaves any better or less "Grandfather" smelling? I will continue using my existing a/f's as I do love them, but if I know company will be comming over or a "female friend":wink: I would like to be wearing something more "with the times". Thanks! -Pat

You're going to have to go to Macy's and pony up for some modern Armani or Polo smells. They will have aftershave splashes there.

I find that SCS's Mediterranean Citrus a/s is fairly modern, especially compared to classic "barber shop" scents. My SO agrees, and we're both in our 20's. :biggrin:

The "English" products are a little bit different, depending on which you're considering. Most of Penhaligon's lack the "old-man" quality, but they are a bit pricy. You could try some balms; in my experience, they tend to be a little less stuffy. Maybe give eShave a try? When you register an account with the site, they send a pack of 2 creams and 2 balms for the cost of shipping (~$5).

I find that SCS's Mediterranean Citrus a/s is fairly modern, especially compared to classic "barber shop" scents. My SO agrees, and we're both in our 20's. :biggrin:

+1 on that. If it were me though, I'd ignore the opinion of my ex and ask the "female friend" instead! :)

I would stick with AS that do not linger. Instead, choose some colognes or EDTs that work for you AND for your lady friend.

The "English" products are a little bit different, depending on which you're considering. Most of Penhaligon's lack the "old-man" quality, but they are a bit pricy. You could try some balms; in my experience, they tend to be a little less stuffy. Maybe give eShave a try? When you register an account with the site, they send a pack of 2 creams and 2 balms for the cost of shipping (~$5).

Thanks. I actually ordered the SCS Med Citrus yesterday with the hope of being more Modern. BTW I'm 33, my wife as of now, 25, my female friends seem to be between 25-33 so I'm sure these a/s's seem old fashioned to them

I read the Proraso vs. Musgo vs. Speik thread. Are these barber shop a/s scents as well?

This is so difficult as my favorite part of the shave is an old time splash scent.

I would stick with AS that do not linger. Instead, choose some colognes or EDTs that work for you AND for your lady friend.

I agree. Good thing they really dont linger, except for the Master Bay Rum. I splashed it on last night. I was in a hurry and used more than usuall and then went to a Van Halen concert. After the concert and hand washing multiple times, I got home, took off shirt and still smelled the Master Bay Rum. It was not strong but it was still there. Thank goodness I wasnt on a date if that stuff will linger for that long.

I agree. Good thing they really dont linger, except for the Master Bay Rum. I splashed it on last night. I was in a hurry and used more than usuall and then went to a Van Halen concert. After the concert and hand washing multiple times, I got home, took off shirt and still smelled the Master Bay Rum. It was not strong but it was still there. Thank goodness I wasnt on a date if that stuff will linger for that long.

Um, besides the Bay Rum experience, how was the concert?!?

:w00t:

Thanks. I actually ordered the SCS Med Citrus yesterday with the hope of being more Modern. BTW I'm 33, my wife as of now, 25, my female friends seem to be between 25-33 so I'm sure these a/s's seem old fashioned to them

I read the Proraso vs. Musgo vs. Speik thread. Are these barber shop a/s scents as well?

This is so difficult as my favorite part of the shave is an old time splash scent.

I wouldn't say "barbershop" I would say "classic" however. And quality to boot.

Um, besides the Bay Rum experience, how was the concert?!?

:w00t:

Good show. Saw them back in September in Cleveland, this time in Pittsburgh. Better show in Pitts but way better sound in Cle. Wolfgang Van Halen, 17, filled in great on bass never missing a note.

One thing to remember, though, is that the scent really isn't going to linger with the Med Citrus. I like that quality because it won't interfere with my EDT, but, if you want a stronger scent, you might not be satisfied.

I'm in love with all these "Barber Shop" aftershaves I have (eg: Master, Stephan, Pinaud, Booster etc) but my female and male friends sometime tell me I smell like an old man. My wife (we are going through a divorce) came over yesterday and was going through my cabinet smelling all the different scents. She didnt know I took this DE thing up as a hobby 5 months ago. She was laughing at all the so-called "Old Man" scents. She didnt like anything. The only thing she kinda liked was the SCS New Spice, but that is an EDT. She said the SCS Bay Rum with a Twist smelled like floor cleaner, but my question is this:

I only have many cheap after shaves as I noted above. Are the English aftershaves any better or less "Grandfather" smelling? I will continue using my existing a/f's as I do love them, but if I know company will be comming over or a "female friend":wink: I would like to be wearing something more "with the times". Thanks! -Pat

My inclination would be to use the aftershave that makes your face feel the best (I personally really like Booster's and Master's after a close shave) - and
look into some kind of cologne or EDT if you want to smell like something. Personally, I'd probably get a bottle of the oldest-man-smelling cologne you can find, just for when your wife looks through your medicine cabinet.

My inclination would be to use the aftershave that makes your face feel the best (I personally really like Booster's and Master's after a close shave) - and
look into some kind of cologne or EDT if you want to smell like something. Personally, I'd probably get a bottle of the oldest-man-smelling cologne you can find, just for when your wife looks through your medicine cabinet.

Boosters does disappear very quickly - in a matter of minutes. Which is good. I find the SCS Med. Citrus sticks around nicely, a couple hours anyway.

Mike

If you're trying to be modern, maybe buy an issue of GQ and see what kind of samples are in there. Or go to a department store fragrance counter? A good one should have a person there to consult with you.

This discussion reminds me of an Abe Simpson quote: "I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!"

Top Bottom