What's new

Ink Review: Diamine Blue-Black

Diamine Blue-Black Review

$Diamine Blue-Black.jpg

This is my current favorite ink, I will definitely order more before my sample runs out.

One of two of my regularly used Blue Blacks. I have both in pens at the moment. My favorite is Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, and this is the second.

One of two of my regularly used Blue Blacks. I have both in pens at the moment. My favorite is Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, and this is the second.
Have you tried the Pilot Blue/Black? That is the one that I currently use and a really enjoy it a lot especially in pens with a higher flow and the right paper it has a really nice sheen to it.

This is one I didn't care for. I thought the color had almost a green tinge to it. It also seemed to clog easily in the pen. I still have most of the bottle so I'll have to get it out again and see if my opinion changed over time.

This is one I didn't care for. I thought the color had almost a green tinge to it. It also seemed to clog easily in the pen. I still have most of the bottle so I'll have to get it out again and see if my opinion changed over time.
I haven't ever seen either of those attributes with my bottle. Of course I have had it a while, but I have less than a half a bottle left too. I think I got it in 2013 if I recall correctly.

I haven't ever seen either of those attributes with my bottle. Of course I have had it a while, but I have less than a half a bottle left too. I think I got it in 2013 if I recall correctly.
My bottle is probably about that old. I'll have to try it in some other pens. If I recall it was a TWSBI with a fine point that didn't like this ink.

I decided to revisit this ink to see if my initial impressions remained the same. I loaded up my Conklin Herringbone with the Diamine Blue Black. I have to say in this pen it flows nicely and shows no sign of clogging. It works well on good paper, but feathers with ordinary copier paper. No surprise here. Most inks don't do well with common modern papers. I'm still not crazy about the color. I was hoping for a very dark royal blue but this one is kind of blah to me. I still see a bit of green tinge in the lighter shadings.

In summary, its good ink, just not my favorite color.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Can't stand that greenish tint some blue-blacks have ... yuck.

Try the Diamine Midnight (dark) or their Prussian Blue (lighter) for some more serious BB colors. lots of reviews online.

Can't stand that greenish tint some blue-blacks have ... yuck.

Try the Diamine Midnight (dark) or their Prussian Blue (lighter) for some more serious BB colors. lots of reviews online.
I have to say that the Diamine Midnight looks like the kind of blue black I was looking for, at least in the online samples.

About the "very long dry times" - does that mean you can pause from writing longer, to sit and stare at the wall trying to think of what to write next, without the nib going dry?
proxy.php

Top Bottom