What's new

New check-in re: first five shaves

Hello all at B&B,
Your forum is very much appreciated for the rich information I have found as well as the entertaining banter. So far my experience with the wet shave has been reasonably succesfull and simply needing more time to improve my technique.

I have considered jumping in for a couple years and searching for a rezor recomendation around my birthday (4/11) led me to your sight and the info devouring began. Bought an EJKelvin and some initial products and have been enjoying the process of learning the new skill.

I have not posted much as any questions I have wanted to post about have all had threads answering what I needed. Thank you all for that. My area of interest right now in in blades and am reading historical threads before tossing out obvious questions. I am going through a starter set right now and it is very interesting how different the blades perform. Ifnthere are and primary mainstream blades I should try, feel free to chime in. Personnas I have seen many like and I didn't get in the set. I think I will try the Nacet next inspired by a thread.

Tried so far:
DERBY mild and no issues or excitement, tried 2 blades
Gillette GOAL - not exciting nor as comfortable as the others tried thus far
7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless (green) good shave, possibly best performance thus far
ASTRA Superior Stainless good clean shave but a little burn

Left in sample pack to try:
FEATHER Hi-Stainless (will use caution)

TREET Platinum
SUPER-MAX Platinum
SUPER-MAX Stainless
TRIG Silver Edge Stainless
ASTRA Superior Platinum
NACET Stainless
BIC Chrome Platinum
Zurrik Super Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
BLUEBIRD

Thanks!

One mainstream blade I didn't see mentioned is Wilkinson Sword. I like 'em. And don't be scared of the Feather. Just try them once you're comfortable with your technique and don't add any pressure (at all).

Only been DE Shaving for a few months. I have recently tried the Gillette Silver Blues. Night and day better shave for me than either of the Astras(SP or SS). Also tried Personna Med Prep which is almost as good.

Sounds like your off to a great start! Glad your are here!
Pick one of those blade brands and stick with it for a few weeks and work on technique.
You will do just fine!:thumbup1:

All good input. I am trying to figure a good one to order qty and stick with for a bit after I get through a couple of the other common testers. The more obscute ones like treet will be down the road. Wilkinson, personnas, GSB, good to know. I will try the GSB before ordering something.

the sharper seem to agree with me so far. Thick beard. Want to try the feather too since it seems to be such a benchmark on the sharp end of the spectrum.

Thanks,

Greetings Jamie and warmest welcome to the forum! You are off to an excellent start to your DE shaving journey.

Best of luck! :001_smile

I don't see any Personna blades. The reds, labs, and med preps are some of my favorites.

+1 I like the reds in my Gillette and the med prep is slowly becoming one my favorite blades. The jury is still out on the blues though.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Welcome to B&B. Personna Med Prep and GSB are very good blades to try. GSB were excellent in my EJ razor, as they are in my Wolfman. Happy testing!

Welcome to B&B!

I started with a VERY similar sampler to yours (no Zurrik or Astra Stainless), and I found the 7OC Green to be the best performer out of the bunch for me. I just tried a Crystal (Israeli Personna) this morning and it was just as sharp as the 7OC but definitely smoother for me. So far it's at the top of my list so I'd recommend giving those a try if you like the 7OCs.

Welcome to the club
I love Feathers. Don't be afraid of them. Also try the personnas if you get a chance.
I have found Derbys to be very mild. I was at the wrong angle with one that should have sliced me open but it is a very forgiving blade

I would suggest to stay away from bulk buy of blades, as your preferences more than likely can change with course of improving your skills. I would use not less than 10 blades of your favorites before buying hundreds of them.
I would also suggest to include more Russian made blades as I can see only Astras (and maybe Nacet) here. They are ones of the best blades available too - Voskhod, Sputnik to name few.

All good input. I am trying to figure a good one to order qty and stick with for a bit after I get through a couple of the other common testers. The more obscute ones like treet will be down the road. Wilkinson, personnas, GSB, good to know. I will try the GSB before ordering something.

the sharper seem to agree with me so far. Thick beard. Want to try the feather too since it seems to be such a benchmark on the sharp end of the spectrum.

Thanks,
Which sharper blade?

I would suggest to stay away from bulk buy of blades, as your preferences more than likely can change with course of improving your skills. I would use not less than 10 blades of your favorites before buying hundreds of them.
I would also suggest to include more Russian made blades as I can see only Astras (and maybe Nacet) here. They are ones of the best blades available too - Voskhod, Sputnik to name few.

thanks for this. will go through a fe of the recomended taking time with several before considereing bulk. I have Rapira, Voskhod and Polsilver and a few others on the way to me.

Top Bottom