What's new

Is too smooth possible?

I got all these new goodies in yesterday's mail that I couldn't wait to try them.

Razor: Merkur 34C HD (new)
Blade: Merkur (arrived with new 34C)
Brush: Mühle STF XL Black (new)
Soap: Lé Pére Lucien (new)
AS: Thayer's WH.

Very strange I felt like the blade wasn't cutting/doing anything but I did 4 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG, XTG) then cleanup and I got DFS++. It's a strange experience - felt like nothing good was happening then end up with this rockin', kick *** shave. This LPL stuff is bitchin'. Thanks for all the tips, feedback, etc. Now off to figure out how it all happened....

I've been using a Merkur Progress (starting at 2.5 or 3) with various blades (trying them out to see what I'll like.)
I get killed by Derby Blades and the Merkur on 2.5 or 3 on shave 1 (a real bloodbath) then shave 2 is a bit better. By shave 3 on that blade, all is right in the world.

Back to today's shave....LOVED the lather of LPL....really slick and smooth and "soft." But has anyone experienced anything like that? should I expect this type of limited feedback but great performance from the 34C HD? Is it the Merkur blade that transformed my world? I know I should change one thing at a time to see what is moving my world but I couldn't help it today.
Thanks in advance.

As long as you're not getting irritation, you're doing it right. Sounds like you're doing ok. As your technique evolves you probably won't need 4 passes but if that's what it takes and you're not getting razor burn, go for it.

yeah I don't do 4 passes with the Progress with any of the blades I've tried (Astra, Derby, Rapira, etc) but today after pass 3 I felt I wasn't all the way there so I had to go to 4. There was zero irritation - none, zilch, nada. It's sort of surreal.

The downside of "too smooth" is that what it takes to get there may cause irritation. If no irritation, no problem. If you need a better sense of whether the blade is cutting, turn off the water faucet and listed for the resonating sound of slicing whiskers.

The downside of "too smooth" is that what it takes to get there may cause irritation. If no irritation, no problem. If you need a better sense of whether the blade is cutting, turn off the water faucet and listed for the resonating sound of slicing whiskers.

+1. It all depends on you and your technique.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
No, there is no such thing as "too smooth," although I agree that you'll probably (soon) get to where you can achieve the same result with two passes, rather than 4. You may not be shaving very efficiently at the moment, but you'll get there.

It sounds like you're off to a mighty fine start, man! Shave on!

No, there is no such thing as "too smooth," although I agree that you'll probably (soon) get to where you can achieve the same result with two passes, rather than 4. You may not be shaving very efficiently at the moment, but you'll get there.

Well said! And welcome!

Well said! And welcome!
But Texlaw not a newbie:laugh:

You did not find the perfect shave......... You did not find the perfect shave......... Buy more gear........ Buy more gear........

Lol!! Thanks guys....I guess I should have been a little clearer in that it felt like the shave itself was too comfortable and smooth not just the result. Maybe I have to go try again. :)

Last edited:
ok guys....is it possible that the Merkur 34C HD is simply WAY WAY WAY too mild for me?
I know that sounds like a dumb question but I've been using the Progress on a setting of 2, 2.5, or 3 depending.....
Is the Merkur blade super mild?
I did another shave and I felt like I had to keep going over and over to get anything done. By the time I was done, my cheeks were super-baby-smooth but I still had a bunch of missed spots on my neck and a little by my sideburns. I didn't do 4 full passes this time but 3.5 plus cleanup. It's a little annoying especially now that I'm finding this razor for $10 less than I spent that it really seems like it's just not gonna cut it.
Should I try a new blade? Thoughts?
thanks.

Top Bottom