What's new

saving money with DE shaving ?

So I returned-to DE shaving in part because of the ridiculously High priced cartridge razors out there So now after four brushes, and four creams and soaps, two razors and hundreds of blades in six months , tell me exactly how am I saving money ? Lol

You are saving money in the long run.
Very long run let's say for the next five years .
If stop buying now indeed...
:)

I'm saving money. The only thing I am doing differently since I returned to a DE is buying double edge blades instead of carts. I have been using a brush and soap, along with AS for over 45 years.

Want to save money? Stop buying stuff you don't need. Banish all ADs. Become a minimalist.

Before I started DE, I used one cream and one brush and expensive Fusion cartridges. Then I got into DE shaving and used DE blades that cost perhaps 1/20th as much. And then I decided I liked it and started hanging out here and learned about all the brushes and razors and soaps and creams and preps and there went the savings. We are our own worst enemies.

I, too, started DE shaving to save money. It truly is possible to save money, but many of us just get that jones to get another razor, more soap etc. and the notion of saving money goes out the window. So far this year I have spent $225-$250 on shaving. I don't drink...I don't smoke...I don't do drugs, so I don't feel too guilty for my indulgence in shaving.

This hobby is my only vice. As others have said, it could be hobbies that are much more expensive. I have one to two beers at the most, each week. I gave up my cigar smoking hobby, I don't smoke cigarettes, and I don't collect guns, anymore. I don't collect the expensive razors. I have many inexpensive ones, as well as a growing collection of razor blades. Also, the brushes I have are not expensive, and I only have around 5.
But, I will say, this site is full of enablers. Not the place to be if you want to limit yourself.

I started with the intention to save money and I am still in that frame of mind but it took me about $250-$300 to find a setup that I am happy with. Now I have extra razors and brushes an soaps/creams that aren't my ideal but I still used them off and on for variety. I figure I will break even and start saving in about 4 more years. Fingers crossed.:blush:

In my view the problem is not with DE shaving, but rather the seemingly endless opportunities that the interweb gives us. If all I could do was go to the local druggist to get my supplies then I would certainly be spending less than I would on cartridge shaving - a lot less. But thanks to the "magic" of our internet providers we can search and procure to our heart's (or wallets) desires.

For example, there's recent post on B&B about a very nice, new white horse hair brush someone just got. I take a quick look at the thread and the next thing you know there's the very same brush sitting right there in my Amazon Shopping Cart!!
:blink:
Which has since been deleted, but you get the idea.

You would save money if you did traditional shaving as my father did 50 years ago. Keep only one razor. Re-use the same Old Spice soap mug, refilling it only when necessary, and whipping up the lather with the same brush every time.

I've kept an excel sheet since I've started DE shaving, calculating costs. Assuming I would have been paying $2 per Mach 3 cart the past 4.5 years, I figure I have saved about $130 during that time frame. But I have certainly enjoyed shaving a lot more.

Top Bottom