What's new

saving money with DE shaving ?

I find this a difficult question to answer.

I didn't enjoy shaving before DE. I had a beard year round. I definitely spent more on my DE gear than my cheap beard trimmer.

I started DE shaving out of interest for the technique rather than saving money.

I was doing great until I bought my ATT Kronos S1 ($185 and totally worth it). With that I only have 2 brushes (Omega 10066 and a Whipped Dog 24mm High mountain, $36 total) and one other razor ($35 Edwin Jagger) and just a hand full of soaps (Arko, Speick, VDH, La Toja $20 worth) and 2 aftershaves ($10). I've only invested in blade samples so far but they will all be used. Let's say $30 worth of blades.

So I'm coming in just under $300. It will take a while for the savings to catch up to where I am but I can say that I enjoy the shave more than I used to and that counts for a lot in my book.

I did not get into "traditional" shaving to save money - it was an act of despair.
I never was able to shave daily without extreme discomfort, so I avoided it whenever I could. Living in a country with mandatory military service I had to endure shaving daily for some time and the skin in my face was a mess.

Then I avoided shaving as much as I could - even only used a trimmer every few days for years (think "designer stubble", but before it became fashionable)

A few years ago I stumbled over this forum (and some other ressources on the net) and started to "research".
Switching from canned gel/foam to soap/cream and brush really made a big difference and using a DE with *good* blades instead of noname disposables made another (smaller) difference. After a few weeks I could shave daily without too much issues... great to discover this in your 40s...

I somehow developed an interest in straight razors over the years since and am currently in a learning period...

Sometimes I think I belong to a generation that had to do all of this stuff the hard way:
- Dad used an electric most of his live and knew next to nothing about wet shaving
- no Internet available in my youth/adolescence (although it already existed)
- commonly available shaving supplies very limited to canned goo and disposables or big$ multi-bladed Gillette/Wilkinson stuff

As an added complication my dermatologist found out that I suffer from a few allergies which relate to cosmetics :(

So I am actually quite happy - I may have spent more $, but gained a lot of insight and quality of life.

In my book this was money well spent.
br,
ToM

Sometimes I think I belong to a generation that had to do all of this stuff the hard way:
- Dad used an electric most of his live and knew next to nothing about wet shaving
- no Internet available in my youth/adolescence (although it already existed)
- commonly available shaving supplies very limited to canned goo and disposables or big$ multi-bladed Gillette/Wilkinson stuff
You think correctly, Sir. Will never forgive Gillette. Never.

Badger and Blade exists in order to gain consensus about what is the best in every category. That is entertaining.

But you have to ask yourself if the worlds most expensive badger brush is worth having... when a $3 brush from China also gets the job done... perhaps requiring a bit more brushing. I have some nice shaving soap, but notice that bars of hand soap from the dollar store also work.

Don't get me wrong--- I enjoy reading about the differences between different high-priced products. It's just that I never quite got over the lesson you can learn at just about any fishing spot in the country. On any day, there will always be some kid with little more than a sapling, a length of string, a hook, and some free bait... will catch nice fish. Some guy standing next to him with $500 worth of tackle, an expensive set of clothing, lures, etc, etc... hasn't even had a nibble.

I really am indebted to those people on this website that guided me towards the Razorock Mission. That $20 razor give me a fantastic shave--and is built with better materials and finish than most. The sample blades that came with it led me to the Astra SP which is a fine yet inexpensive blade.

As far as saving money... I am NOT saving any money when i spend $20 on a razor and $10 for a 100 blades. That is called spending money. Our entire economic system thrives on fooling people into thinking they are saving money when they spend it in some particular way and compared to some other product.

If you really want to save money, do it in a bank. It actually accumulates there... and there always seems to be enough for whatever you really need. Have a look around: the people who are saving money are not to be found at any cash register with marked down merchandise, on sale, or with coupons. They are not the people checking out on eBay or Amazon. The real savers are down at the bank every week... they're the ones smiling.

Please don't think you are saving money by shaving with a double edge or straight razor. You MAY be spending less money than if you shaved with cartridge razors, but you haven't saved even a thin dime.

Living in a country with mandatory military service I had to endure shaving daily for some time and the skin in my face was a mess.

ToM

Although there are many things that I don't like about my own country, I'm glad that military service is not mandatory for me (I think I'm too old now to be drafted anyway). In your case, though, if you don't want to do military service, is it possible to so social service instead? When I lived in A'dam I met many Germans who went to NL to work for various charities instead of serving in the military. I shave every day for enjoyment, but I think that being forced to do it might take some of the fun out...

It saves money but IMO, it is not the best way unless you just want a single-blade shave (some people with ingrown-prone hairs may need this). The best way is to learn to strop cartridge razors. A ten dollar strop will do this, or if you have tough skin, you can use your arm. the blades should last at least twice as long.

Although there are many things that I don't like about my own country, I'm glad that military service is not mandatory for me (I think I'm too old now to be drafted anyway). In your case, though, if you don't want to do military service, is it possible to so social service instead? When I lived in A'dam I met many Germans who went to NL to work for various charities instead of serving in the military. I shave every day for enjoyment, but I think that being forced to do it might take some of the fun out...

You are right, it is possible to do a social service in Austria instead of military and it is a popular option nowadays.
When I was drafted during the cold war the option of social service (Zivildienst) did already exist, but was not easily accessible. You had to convince a jury that it was impossible for you to use violence even in a case of self-defence because of religious or other severe moral reasons to get permission to do Zivildienst.

Those that did usually also had to wear uniform (and shave), serving with red cross emergency response or fire brigades and such. Only very few that had more "exotic" assignments wore civillian clothing on duty.

So, at that time I did what the vast majority of young men did ...

br,
ToM

Badger and Blade exists in order to gain consensus about what is the best in every category. That is entertaining.

But you have to ask yourself if the worlds most expensive badger brush is worth having... when a $3 brush from China also gets the job done... perhaps requiring a bit more brushing. I have some nice shaving soap, but notice that bars of hand soap from the dollar store also work.

Don't get me wrong--- I enjoy reading about the differences between different high-priced products. It's just that I never quite got over the lesson you can learn at just about any fishing spot in the country. On any day, there will always be some kid with little more than a sapling, a length of string, a hook, and some free bait... will catch nice fish. Some guy standing next to him with $500 worth of tackle, an expensive set of clothing, lures, etc, etc... hasn't even had a nibble.

I really am indebted to those people on this website that guided me towards the Razorock Mission. That $20 razor give me a fantastic shave--and is built with better materials and finish than most. The sample blades that came with it led me to the Astra SP which is a fine yet inexpensive blade.

As far as saving money... I am NOT saving any money when i spend $20 on a razor and $10 for a 100 blades. That is called spending money. Our entire economic system thrives on fooling people into thinking they are saving money when they spend it in some particular way and compared to some other product.

If you really want to save money, do it in a bank. It actually accumulates there... and there always seems to be enough for whatever you really need. Have a look around: the people who are saving money are not to be found at any cash register with marked down merchandise, on sale, or with coupons. They are not the people checking out on eBay or Amazon. The real savers are down at the bank every week... they're the ones smiling.

Please don't think you are saving money by shaving with a double edge or straight razor. You MAY be spending less money than if you shaved with cartridge razors, but you haven't saved even a thin dime.

Great insights into our economy and culture of spending. One note, the entire point of Money is creating a vehicle to trade something you have for something you want. If a bank full of Money buys you peace of mind and security and you are ok "trading" that for a modest lifestyle than so be it. Just remember...you are always buying something. Great points though. I love when my wife says "I saved us $300 dollars by getting this $700 whatever for $400". No....you just cost us $400...lol

I very rarely spend cash. Everything I buy goes on one of three different "cash reward" credit cards---which I pay off in full each month on the day the statement is released--through my online banking payments. I hate owing anyone money. They were nice enough to front me the money from the time I made the purchase... why should I hold them up for another three weeks until the due date? Sometimes, if I've made a really, really huge purchase, I'll send the credit card company the funds right on that day---just so I don't owe them so much at the end of the month. My reward for "being nice" is a FICO score over 800---of course other things enter that picture.

You would think that the credit card companies "love" me. Actually, they hate me. In the credit card business, customers like me are known as "deadbeats" ---because we don't let them earn any interest! People who pay only the minimum payment are known as "revolvers" (revolving credit) The companies make a ton of money on revolvers.

Choose wisely.

$Rasputin_opt.jpg

I quit shaving altogether... and saved a lot of money.

I think we are neglecting to mention the most obvious thing: each of us owns a computer that is hooked up to the web.

If we didn't have a computer, chances are good that we would choose our shaving implements based upon:

• magazine advertising,
  • TV advertising, and
  • whatever we found on the shelf where we shop.
Oh yeah, I forgot those Burma Shave road signs.

That's the way things were... until fairly recently actually.

Now, with our computers (and forums like Badger & Blade) we hear about shaving products from all over the world. Human nature being what it is, we are tempted to try out things that "come highly recommended." This is why a simple thing like shaving can become expensive.... even an expensive hobby.

The web can be a good and a bad thing. I don't spend a LOT of money, but depending on how you look at it, I spend too much at the same time. Some body on here will go on about how awesome their drug store variety cream is, and so I'll seek a way to get it. So when they spend say a buck a tube walking to the store, I'm paying four bucks and then shipping. So I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Without the "interweb" I would not have any of the treasures I now have. So now I have some nice gear I didn't need but am so happy to have. :laugh:

Top Bottom