What's new

Freestanding Punching Bags

My family is going to be working on making our garage into a part-time "gym". Really just some mats and a punching bag. SWMBO used to do kickboxing back in the day and wants to get back into it, so I'm doing some shopping around and have some questions for y'all who have some experience.

I was thinking about this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-PowerCore-Free-Standing-Heavy-Bag/13370396

I'd like to get a standard hanging one, but I've read that rafters aren't designed to handle that kind of abuse. I'm planning on buying this for an unconventional Mother's Day gift.

Does anyone have this bag an have an opinion?

Thanks!

I don't have much in the way of advice, but I am interested in seeing what some of the other guys have for you. I've been wanting to get a heavy bag myself, but don't really have anywhere to hang one. I know there are some companies that make freestanding hanging bag setups, but it does limit the range of movement. From what I've heard, if you are going to get a stand up bag, go for a large one. That way it will move around a bit less on you. A couple of squares of floor padding may be a good idea too if it is going to get set up on a concrete floor.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Get her a B.O.B., and stick a print-out of your face on it for added motivation.

:wink2:

I've never found any of the freestanding bags I like. If you're really striking it with force, it's going to start moving around. To get around it, I bought a heavy bag stand like this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=17799606&cp=4406646.4413986.4417842.4417845

I took off the speed bag attachment and have a 100 lb heavy bag hanging on it. I was going to bolt it to the floor, but I decided to see about weighting it down. I had a couple of old sea bags and I put a 50 lb bag of ornamental rock from the hardware store in each of them. I laid a couple on the supporting legs on each side of the frame and it keeps it from bouncing around. I've subjected it to some pretty aggressive use and it doesn't move. I can't come at it from 360 degrees, but it's pretty good for a garage gym.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use the Centry XXL Wavemasters in my dojang. They have seen 10+ years of use and are still going. Yes they'll slide around, but jump to the otherside and hit them back.

I have about 15 years experience using free standing bags. Black belt in taekwondo. First the walmart has a couple of issues. The base style tend to over time begin to develop leaks assuming you fill with water. It's just a design flaw of the style. Century has a new design that is similar and way more durable. No leaks in any of the bags over 3 years of class usage (20 to 30 students multiple classes a day 6 days a week) they are more expensive though. Another option is to go with a hanging bag but instead of hanging the bag directly to the rafter you put the bag on a heavy duty spring, and probably some extra support for the rafters would be good. If you want some more information on the century bag I'm talking about let me know.

InNae

I've read good things about Century Wavemaster bags. As always we are on a tight budget, I found a new Everlast one for $90 on sale locally, but a used Wavemaster on craigslist for $60. We may have to wait until after Mother's Day due to budget reasons, luckily SWMBO is very understanding.

Thanks guys!

I understand that the century bags are more expensive, but like they say you get what you pay for. They are worth the extra money.

I ended up buying a used Century Wavemaster. I picked it up today, found on Craigslist for $60.

Sweet. Is it one of the new ones (have octagonal bases) or old ones? The new ones are better, but the old ones are good too.

I've never found any of the freestanding bags I like. If you're really striking it with force, it's going to start moving around. To get around it, I bought a heavy bag stand like this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=17799606&cp=4406646.4413986.4417842.4417845

I took off the speed bag attachment and have a 100 lb heavy bag hanging on it. I was going to bolt it to the floor, but I decided to see about weighting it down. I had a couple of old sea bags and I put a 50 lb bag of ornamental rock from the hardware store in each of them. I laid a couple on the supporting legs on each side of the frame and it keeps it from bouncing around. I've subjected it to some pretty aggressive use and it doesn't move. I can't come at it from 360 degrees, but it's pretty good for a garage gym.

Just what I was going to say. I can't stand the free stranding heavy bags. I don't find them useful, they move too much and all the ones I've seen you can't throw low kicks. A lot of stands aren't too expensive and will be dramatically better, IMO.

Sweet. Is it one of the new ones (have octagonal bases) or old ones? The new ones are better, but the old ones are good too.

I'm not sure, here is a snap of it.

proxy.php

That's the new one. Much better made. They do move around if you hit hard as others have said. If you circle around the bag it helps. Get some wrist wraps to protect the knuckles. Hope you enjoy it.

Good post and great responses...been contemplating a bag myself to change up the routine and do something other than running. Every time I've gone after a guy in a red man suit...it's been one of the better workouts I've had

Wrist wraps are a must, but gloves you can do without. The wraps will cover your knuckles.

Copy. Then we can just buy one of those multi-packs for me and the wife, gotta find some to fit the kids. They're 6 and 8. My 6 y/o son has some powerful aggression to get out sometimes, I hope that calms down in the future.

Top Bottom