What's new

Vetiver

I was in l'occititane the other day and tried their version of Vetiver. I misted a small amount on my wrist and it lasted the entire day. What a fragrance! I first learned of this while in Mexico City in 1969. My guide had it on and his was made by guerlain. My wife bought it for me back in the states and I used it up in s year or two. I stopped using after shave/colognes for many years but can't get that fragrance out of my mind ; it is aroma therapy at its best. Anyone have their own experience with Vetiver they would care to share?

L'Occitane's version is nice. I've done the same as you and noticed how nicely it lasts...subtle too.
That's as far as it goes, though -- I haven't laid out the coin for a bottle, and I'd have to see if my dear wife likes it enough to maybe get it for Father's Day.

L'Occitane's version is nice. I've done the same as you and noticed how nicely it lasts...subtle too.
That's as far as it goes, though -- I haven't laid out the coin for a bottle, and I'd have to see if my dear wife likes it enough to maybe get it for Father's Day.

yep. Gotta please the missus. A happy wife means a happy life. Since I haven't worn anything in 15 years, my wife doesn't like scent on me anymore

the swmbo does not particularly care for vetiver.
but the dogs go absolutely wild.
hence.

$creed vetiver joris plisson january 20 2015.jpg

Guerlain Vetiver for the warm months.

Lalique Encre Noir for the cold months.

Perfect for me, YMMV of course.

Vetiver is by far my favorite note. I own a few vetiver based fragrances, but also noticed that most of my other favorites have vetiver listed in the notes on Fragrantica as well.

Nearly all my fragrances are vetiver-heavy. TdH edp, Guerlain L'Homme L'Eau Boisee, Montale Red Vetyver and Comme de Garcons Vettyveru are all great vetiver scents, and I use them regularly.

I'm just getting into fragrances and dont have much money so purchased some Malizia Uomo Vetyver for £7 off ebay. I love it and my mum likes it too :laugh: (The only woman in my life at the moment). It's great value for money.

I'm just getting into fragrances and dont have much money so purchased some Malizia Uomo Vetyver for £7 off ebay. I love it and my mum likes it too [emoji23] (The only woman in my life at the moment). It's great value for money.
Big +1

+2, for sure. It smells very nice.

<but OV feels atypical of a vetiver to me.>

I agree. I think Luca Turin's review of OV was "Creed Vetiver--Not vetiver." But LT is not reliable for Creed in general.

Creed OV is a wonderful fragrance...it's one of my favorite office/everyday scents. Yes..it is vetiver..just not the earthy, dirty vetiver that most associate with the note. Of all the fragrances I've worn, OV has received the most compliments.

Creed Vetiver 1948 is a more refined straightforward vetiver...but is now discontinued and hard to find.

I also love Dior vetiver....but it is also discontinued. Easily available, however, in decants from www.theperfumedcourt.com

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
In my collection are a few vetivers, my two favorites are, now unfortunately un-obtainium, Creed Vetiver (1948) and Floris Vetiver.
The Creed is my all time favorite vetiver scent. From the modern ones I like Montale Red Vetiver and L'Occitanes a lot. Someone gave me once a couple samples, including the Carven version, but this one was a disappointment for me.

In my collection are a few vetivers, my two favorites are, now unfortunately un-obtainium, Creed Vetiver (1948) and Floris Vetiver.
The Creed is my all time favorite vetiver scent. From the modern ones I like Montale Red Vetiver and L'Occitanes a lot. Someone gave me once a couple samples, including the Carven version, but this one was a disappointment for me.

I was blessed some time ago with a sample of Floris Vetiver, and it is magnificent!!! I did ask Floris if they were possibly going to revive it; the answer was no. Much regret on that!

I love Encre Noir when it comes to vetiver. Dark, inky, and a little bit like a fetid swamp in a good way. I know its full of Iso E Super and Cashmeran, but I love it anyway. I also appreciate Guerlain's classic vetiver.

I'm interested in obtaining a sampler of Mugler Cologne. It is said to be similar to Creed OV for much less with the caveat that on some people it has a short longevity.

I'm interested in obtaining a sampler of Mugler Cologne. It is said to be similar to Creed OV for much less with the caveat that on some people it has a short longevity.

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a sample of OV, and it only ever lasted 3-4 hours. Things got a bit interesting maybe an hour after the application, but I wouldn't say it's extraordinarily complex or anything. Enjoyable, but too soapy to warrant that kind of money. Even if Mugler Cologne doesn't last very long, I feel like it would be handy to have around so I can just go "BAM! SOAPY! DONE!" whenever it's appropriate or desired. I'd pay $35-$40 for that.

Grey Vetiver seems superb for an office setting, semi-formal occasions. Clean, safe, refined, but also a bit interesting. I am seldom in such places, but my samples seemed to fit in well at outdoor parties and classrooms through this Spring. I would own a full bottle by now if it weren't in the $100 range. I'm sold, but I'm not THAT sold.

My first experience with vetiver would be Guerlain Vetiver. When I first smelled it all I could get is the smell of fresh dirt.
Years later I got a sample of Vetiver Extraordinaire and found the vetiver way too strong - and strange.
After many years of sampling I found two vetivers that I like - Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and Chanel's Sycomore.
I purchased Grey Vetiver at a very good price and am really enjoying this fresh, clean take on vetiver.
Sycomore is smooth and slightly smokey but very expensive and short lasting.

Top Bottom