What's new

Penhaligon's . what's your favorite?

Started with Quercus today.

I find it to be a very refreshing scent, citrus plus subtle hints of something else.
Reminds me a little of 4711.

After 3-4 hours, it is barely noticeable.

anything more than 2 hours with any citrus scent, is a long time on me.

by the way, the quercus hand wash is a favorite in our guest lavatory.

$test.jpg

anything more than 2 hours with any citrus scent, is a long time on me.

by the way, the quercus hand wash is a favorite in our guest lavatory.

That is a good idea, thank you.

The longest lasting scent with citrus for me TOBS Eton College, followed by Pinaud Lime Sec, and TOBS Victorian Lime.

So many great scents to try out.

In case you are unaware - some Art of Shaving stores are carrying some of the Penhaligon's line. They don't seem to have samples but at least you can smell them.

You can also try emailing them and asking for samples. This has worked for me in the past although it took some persistence on my part.

Personally I've tried 5 or 6 although I own just one at the moment - Sartorial. Performance isn't great but it's acceptable and the scent is one of my favorites. English Fern is also worth trying. I've smelled Endymion but haven't worn it. That's probably the next one I'd like to give a proper wearing. Quercus and Castile did not work for me. Opus 1870 was decent.

UPDATE: I'm officially on the English Fern bandwagon. Bought it a few weeks ago and have been wearing it quite often (including today), as it is working well for me this summer. Doesn't have the best performance but 4-6 sprays seems to be the sweet spot. All fragrances are different but avg number of sprays for me is probably 3 (at most). Regardless of less than stellar performance, I'm enjoying it immensely.

This for me - English Fern is my favorite, with a close second to Quercus. Blenheim Bouquet gets honorable mention.

Sartorial is a little to "powdery" for me. Eau de cologne is a little to light and "citrusy". Eau de Verveine is tiny bit too feminine for me.

Opus 1870 and Endymion are nice smelling, but don't crack the top two for me.

On my list to try: Juniper Sling and Duoro

Last edited:
I have the 5-sample (5ml each) tin that I paid ($55) for and although I love the scents none seem to last long on me. Sartorial lasts the longest and it's barely noticeable on me after 4-hrs .. for my money I expect something with a bit more longevity and projection
.... maybe its just my chemistry ?

I've thought a scent was gone one me one day, until I stood next to a person at a party (not even that close, really), and she commented that she liked the cologne (it was Quercus) This was after 8 hours. I sometimes think scent lingers, even if your nose had become used to it.

Endymion is the only scent I've ever re-bought in my entire life. That's how much I like it. It's my go-to scent from here on out, I think.

I own 3- Bayolea, Blenheim, and Duoro. All 3 are excellent IMO. Lasting power is excellent also. Scent is YMMV like everything else, but I can attest, for me, each one I can still get scent from them the next day. Staying power is awesome. Need to get on the English Fern train along with Elixir, Hammam, and Sartorial. Not one negative thing I can say about Penhaligon's. Great scents that last for me.

I own 3- Bayolea, Blenheim, and Duoro. All 3 are excellent IMO. Lasting power is excellent also. Scent is YMMV like everything else, but I can attest, for me, each one I can still get scent from them the next day. Staying power is awesome. Need to get on the English Fern train along with Elixir, Hammam, and Sartorial. Not one negative thing I can say about Penhaligon's. Great scents that last for me.
I have the whole set up of blenheim, cream (in there jar best packaging out there) balm, deodorant stick and the cologne... Great stuff, love it.. Now want endymion and bayolea

WOW. This is the ultimate YMMV and really shows how reccomendations on fragrance are almost useless - you need to try it on yourself. I tried Sartorial and my wife didn't like it and I thought it was so-so. I tried seven Fougere shave soaps and B&M was the worst (although I like a lot of their soaps).

Last fall I fell in love with Sartorial. I used it almost daily over the winter with Barrister and Mann's Fougere Aromatique shaving soap. This combo really works for me.

The Sartorial beard oil also works great as a pre shave oil.

Top Bottom