What's new

Soap vs Creme

WCS just sent out advertisement on soaps and cremes, in the advertisement they stated Soaps tend to provide a closer shave, but a little less cushion." I have not found that soaps are a closer shave, however do you all feel that soaps provide a closer shave than creme ?

I get equally great shaves using either, but MUCH prefer soaps. In fact, now whenever I use a cream I superlather it with a soap.

As above, I get an equally close shave with either. To me, the main difference is creams lather quicker and with less effort.

for me, i use the ABC Soap and ABC Cream, or MdC, or AdP and to me they all lather well and provide cushion, slickness etc. , i personally have never heard that the soap is better than the creme, just different.

I loved the Musgo Real shaving cream but prefer the soaps, they seem to last longer. I seemed to go through the tubes real fast.

Forgot to add: I didn't see much of a difference either.

They are practically the same from the point of view of performance.
Probably for some people is easier to use creams because being softer they can give a quicker lather.

I do like both, but soaps the most special places in my heart!

As above, I get an equally close shave with either. To me, the main difference is creams lather quicker and with less effort.

Yep - this is right. If im in a hurry, I use Proraso in a tube, or Castle Forbes. I prefer soaps, and rotate 8 soaps and 2 creams....

In my experience, soaps, in general, allow for a "closer" shave for my thick stubble. For exampe I have found that using soaps from DRH, or 3Ts, resulted in smoother [homogeneously stubble-free] skin, as compared to their cream counterparts. However, there are creams [e.g. old Xpec] which allow for shaves as close as any soap. SMN, AdP are some other considerations for close-cutting creams essentially on par with soaps.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've more soaps than creams, but have tried a ton of both. With my lack of expertise, shaky hands, etc, I find the soaps to be slightly more protective, the creams slightly more slick. Realize that you can add or subtract water to make them close. Creams are easier to lather in great lakes water, but don't seem to last as long ..
creams might have a wider range of scents if you ignore the pour & melt offerings

No. It simply depends on the product, how it is lathered, and how many passes I decide to preform that day. I've used soaps that provide great cushion and others that have given me less. I've used creams that provide great cushion and others that have given me less.

I have yet to find a soap that will give me a satisfactory shave. Most are too slick and leave me with cuts. If I do get enough cushion, it takes an absurd amount of work to lather. I have tried over and over, but I just don't see the appeal. Cream works so much better for me.

I find that some soaps are closer than some creams and vice versa. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.

My Palmolive soap provides a lot of cushioning and protection, far more than many creams.

I get a nice shave out of both, but prefer creams to actual soaps. Have been really digging some croaps recently. Those are currently my favorites.

Top Bottom