What's new

Pink, not red

Ever since my first shave on returning to real-blade shaving last year, when I got a nice dose of razor burn, I've been on the lookout for skin redness and irritation.

Generally, I'm irritation-free these days. The only exceptions are clearly the result of operator error: too much pressure, bad angle, or even improper lather preparation (poor lubrication). Happily, the operator is getting better with each shave. :thumbup1:

However, my face is always pink after a shave. And I believe that must be normal.

I have fair skin, and I observe that I routinely subject that skin on my face to (1) washing with soap; (2) Noxzema and hot towel pre-shave; (3) working shave soap lather into the beard with animal hairs; (4) scraping the hairs (and some skin) with a metal blade; (5) rinsing with warm then cold water; (6) splashing on a number of AS potions and lotions that contain a wide variety of substances. No wonder the skin is pink and "alive."

So...pink is OK, yes?

I use the same routine as you and get pretty much the same results. The pink probably comes from the hot water causing the blood to rush to the skin, unless you are getting too close in your shave.

I use the same routine as you and get pretty much the same results. The pink probably comes from the hot water causing the blood to rush to the skin, unless you are getting too close in your shave.
This is probably a silly question, but, hey this is B&B! :001_smile

If the hot water makes the skin pink, would the following cold rinse reduce the pinkness? IIRC (as a recovering engineer, I will conduct a test to confirm this) splashing cold water on my face makes it pink too...:blink:

As long as it's not painful and/or itchy it's OK with me.

Anything worth thinking about is worth over-thinking! :001_rolle

Ever since my first shave on returning to real-blade shaving last year, when I got a nice dose of razor burn, I've been on the lookout for skin redness and irritation.

Generally, I'm irritation-free these days. The only exceptions are clearly the result of operator error: too much pressure, bad angle, or even improper lather preparation (poor lubrication). Happily, the operator is getting better with each shave. :thumbup1:

However, my face is always pink after a shave. And I believe that must be normal.

I have fair skin, and I observe that I routinely subject that skin on my face to (1) washing with soap; (2) Noxzema and hot towel pre-shave; (3) working shave soap lather into the beard with animal hairs; (4) scraping the hairs (and some skin) with a metal blade; (5) rinsing with warm then cold water; (6) splashing on a number of AS potions and lotions that contain a wide variety of substances. No wonder the skin is pink and "alive."

So...pink is OK, yes?
So how is pink issue?

I think it's pretty normal. After I shave and splash on some aftershave, I'll have a little bit of redness/pinkness that lasts a short while, and then fades. As long as I don't have serious razorburn, it's short-lived.

Keep us posted on your next shave too.
Today's shave went well: Noxzema pre-shave; Simpson Colonel brush: MWF soap; Shick I-2 with Chick blade; Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic; Mennen Skin Bracer.

Face "normally" pink thereafter, no burn, no itch...pink faded away.

I'm good to go! :thumbup1:

Today's shave went well: Noxzema pre-shave; Simpson Colonel brush: MWF soap; Shick I-2 with Chick blade; Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic; Mennen Skin Bracer.

Glad to hear you figured it all out.

FWIW - I am fair complected too and I get a very pink/red face just prior to shaving after applying my hot towel (just a towel soaked in very hot tap water). I mentioned in another thread recently that after I do this I look like I just ran the 4 minute block. :lol:

Glad to hear you figured it all out.

FWIW - I am fair complected too and I get a very pink/red face just prior to shaving after applying my hot towel (just a towel soaked in very hot tap water). I mentioned in another thread recently that after I do this I look like I just ran the 4 minute block. :lol:
Yeah...I'm a warm/hot water shaver, too: hot wet towel over the Noxzema, then warm brush/lather, rinse the razor in hot water, warm rinse before final cold rinse. No wonder there's pinkness...:blush:

Don't forget to come back and help the newbies out too.

Top Bottom