What's new

Boots shavestick

Not tryed this yet what do you guys think of it?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 163
I have the Boots cologne lather cream. It's not the best cream in the world but it creates a serviceable lather. Will be interested to see your review!

As I remember it, Boots Original Shave Stick is Palmolive in disguise as are most supermarket own brand shave sticks. Strange then the preference of one over the other in reviews. I tried a search for the shave stick on boots.com just now and didn't get a result. But they have the Boots Original 100g shave bowl for £3.05p which is the same formulation. Looks like the shave stick has been discontinued.

btw don't be fooled by the so-called "holder". If it's used as a holder, i.e. to grip while spreading soap on the face, the soap falls out of the holder so the soap stick itself has to be held. La Toja does it right with a holder and short length of foil to hold. Basically the holder is useful for standing the soap on its end but not for anything else.

I have both the stick and puck and rather nice they are. The nice thing about this line is that there is also after shave and balm with the same scent . Very old school and probably not to everyone's taste. Some say it's mossy and some find sweaty pits in it. If anyone want to do a trade I have a Boots near work and can swap for some Barbasol shave cream (not foam) in a tube and a puck of Williams mug soap.

Smells a bit weird to me. Is a slight gym changing room smell to it.

The packaging is great though.

As I remember it, Boots Original Shave Stick is Palmolive in disguise as are most supermarket own brand shave sticks. Strange then the preference of one over the other in reviews.

Boots is a somewhat softer soap, white instead of green, and shaves differently. The ingredient lists confirm that they are not the same:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Boots_Shaving_Stick_Refill

Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Hexyl Cinnamal, Lauric Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Eugenol, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Edta, Tetrasodioum Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, CI 77891.​

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Palmolive_EU_Shaving_Stick

Potassium Hydrogenated Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Glycerin, Parfum, Olea Europaea, Elaeis Guineensis, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, BHT, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 11680, CI 12490, CI 74260, CI 77891.​

From these ingredients I would say Boots uses a vegetable base, although the stearate might be from animal or vegetable sources. Meanwhile Palmolive pretty clearly uses a tallow base. Odd, that: it means Boots has palmate, but Palmolive does not. At least Palmolive still has olive, as Olea Europaea.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Never tried their shave stick but their shaving soap puck is horrible, gave up half way through the shave and used another better soap

Top Bottom