What's new

Kanayama #3?

And we have even more proof that "it ain't the arrow, it's the injun!"
And "it's a poor workman that blames his tools."

The suede is so much fun, who cares if it does anything?

With what I feel is one of my best edges to date (it just feels so good I prolly put in twice as many stropping laps as usual, just like when my plain vanilla got here) still only a "decent" shave. Hoping with more, and more frequent, practice it'll get better.
Who knows how much fun it'll be once I fix the lack of D rings "problem"....

The lack of D rings is not really a problem. I used to think so when I first got mine too but there are a few different ways of holding it and I have found a way that really allows me to not miss the D rings at all.

When holding the strop pulled towards you ready for stropping, I curve the bottom part towards the hooks so that the leather goes over top of the strop and have two fingers between the curl with the thumb on top. Works a treat.

The lack of D rings is not really a problem. I used to think so when I first got mine too but there are a few different ways of holding it and I have found a way that really allows me to not miss the D rings at all.

When holding the strop pulled towards you ready for stropping, I curve the bottom part towards the hooks so that the leather goes over top of the strop and have two fingers between the curl with the thumb on top. Works a treat.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
But being close to 60 and having been a professional mechanic (and ameteur lumberjack) for 40 years, between the arthritis and probably carpal tunnel syndrome, the grip is not as strong and does not last as long as it used to.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
But being close to 60 and having been a professional mechanic (and ameteur lumberjack) for 40 years, between the arthritis and probably carpal tunnel syndrome, the grip is not as strong and does not last as long as it used to.

Gotcha. D rings have their uses, no doubts. If they give you a more secure grip and prevent you slicing up the strop then use them for sure!

The suede is great to strop on. I could strop on it all day long.
Thing is - it doesn't seem to do anything.
Yet - I still go back to it from time to time just because it feels so nice.

Just so I'm sure I understand, "it doesn't do anything" means it doesn't add anything, right? As in the linen, canvas, or firehose add something (that wouldn't be there with just cotton) to the edge when used during the stropping process. The suede could be used instead of some other leather and get as good an edge?

Last edited:
Well, I "fixed" it for my arthritic hands
(purists may not want to look)

$150518_0000.jpg
$150518_0001.jpg

(ignore the cruddy homemade paddle stop)

If you want the canvas but not the suede, you can get the 20000 from JNS at $105 US and if you just want the leather you can get a replacement 10000 for $75 US.
Cheers, Steve
A Kanayama is going to be my next strop. This thread has got me itching to try one, but I'm not sure which one I should get. I'm kinda confused about the numbers, dunno which is better, and If the suede doesn't really do anything then why bother? I'm thinking about that 20000 cause it comes with the canvas. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'm in that boat too, I have had the #3 and it now resides with a good friend. Replaces it with a 40K it has the canvas and it's a very good strop IMHO.

If I would have had an appropriately sized D ring handy I would have done the same thing you did. The tarp clips were much less expensive too.

The #3 and the 20000 are out of stock. Just my luck, but I got an email from JNS, saying that they should have some in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom