What's new

Kanayama #3?

I'm guessing the lower price is because of shorter, narrower, and thinner material, not lesser quality?
Anybody have one and care to comment?
I really like D rings and dislike barber end strops, but I bet i can fix that "problem".

I love mine. I hate D-rings and the canvas is amazing. The nice thing about the Kanayama leather is that you can wipe it with a wet cloth and the draw goes back to the day you bought it.

Kanayama strops are in a league of their own. I have a #3 and a 60000 and they are both sublime. The canvas is second to none.

Once the canvas breaks in it is good, very stiff when new

The difference between the Kanayama I believe is the leather thickness and second component.

The suede on the # is fun to strop on

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The 60000 and 90000 are 660mm long, the rest are 600mm. If you want the canvas but not the suede, you can get the 20000 from JNS at $105 US and if you just want the leather you can get a replacement 10000 for $75 US. JNS is in Denmark, so you'll have to use slow-boat shipping to have any competitiveness.

Cheers, Steve

Kana 3 is the same quality leather as the others. As noted - not as thick or as long as the pricier versions and no second component.

I used my Kana canvas right out of the box day 1, no break-in gyrations needed here.

Love that canvas, it's awesome. I have 3 of them. I use the fire hose strop more often now but I still do use the Kanayama canvas.

Last edited:
Love that canvas, it's awesome. I have 3 of them. I use the fire hose strop more often now but I still do use the Kanayama canvas.

My thought was that between the fire hose (thanks again!) and the TM linen (and the 2 kinds of hemp I have), I'd be good to go, but....

Oh well, at least when I can't stand it anymore the shipping will only cost me 5 bux more than if I'd had sense enough to order it in the first place, maybe the suede will keep me happy in the meantime.

The canvas is good stuff.
I put mine on a second hanger - I don't like having two components on the same clasp.

The suede is great to strop on. I could strop on it all day long.
Thing is - it doesn't seem to do anything.
Yet - I still go back to it from time to time just because it feels so nice.

The suede is great to strop on. I could strop on it all day long.
Thing is - it doesn't seem to do anything.
Yet - I still go back to it from time to time just because it feels so nice.

I thought it's purpose was to clean the blade and warm it up before the leather. Isn't it?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I tried the suede for a while. Never saw any gains so I started using it just to clean the edge after shaving, then I stopped even doing that. Reminds me of my (long gone) Zulu grey...fun to use but didn't seem to do anything.
The canvas is good stuff, especially coming off a coticule.

My thought was that between the fire hose (thanks again!) and the TM linen (and the 2 kinds of hemp I have), I'd be good to go, but....

Oh well, at least when I can't stand it anymore the shipping will only cost me 5 bux more than if I'd had sense enough to order it in the first place, maybe the suede will keep me happy in the meantime.

Be sure and get a hanger. The strop has a single grommet for it. Some don't seem to like the hangers. I like them and think they work great. Or get two hangers and separate the suede from the leather.

Last edited:
Well, as nice as this thing is I bet I don't last long before getting the canvas.

(gonna hafta decide on a "strop progression" lessee, maybe.... canvas, linen, suede, plain vanilla, cordovan.....????) :lol:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
If you want to try a piece of canvas before you buy it PM me your address and I'll send you a piece.

Thanks, I may take you up on that, but right now I'm gonna be having so much fun with this I prolly won't have time to try it.

NP.
Do you have the strop yet?

Yes, very fast delivery, ordered thurs nite, here monday but nobody to sign for it so got it yesterday.
Only "complaint" is 1/3 of the horsehide taken up by logos, but still loving it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom