What's new

Binoculars for Alaskan Cruise

I am going on a cruise to Alaska and will be in need of some binoculars for the trip. Since I will buying at least 2 pairs to share amongst the family, and they will see little use other than special occasions like trips, I don't want to spend a lot of money. I am thinking $225 per pair?

Given this restriction, does anybody have any recommendations? I am also interested in opinions on what would be a good magnification and objective lens size.

Thanks,

Bob

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I bought a pair of Orion 8X42 a few months ago. They are a mid size easy to hold, 8X magnification, waterproof, and fully multicoated.
http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars...roof-Binoculars/pc/-1/c/5/sc/390/p/113097.uts

I highly recommend them, but I am pretty new to the binocular scene. I also own a pair of Celstron 10X50, but I like the Orion much better, especially for star gazing. Images are crisper, and I can hold them steady. I also the Orion for birding and plan on using it for hunting.

Last edited:
10x50 are common, but I prefer 8x40s for carrying as they are lighter. I also have a pair of 15x70's which make the moon look spectacular but they are heavy and are usually only used on a tripod.

If you are getting two, perhaps one 10x50 and one 8x40

Celestrons are a decent, affordable brand name, well within your price range.

Vortex Diamondback. Doesn't matter what happens to them, if you break them they will fix them.
I'd recommend an 8x42 and a 10x50 if you are wanting 2 pair.

Are you primarily looking for wildlife? Stars? Bikinis on other boats? Do you think you will hold them a long time? Do you wear glasses (eye relief a concern?)
Will you have access to/make use of a tripod? Will you spend a lot of time holding them? The decisions will include:
* Roof or porro prism
* magnification
* field of view
* eye relief offered
* weight.

I would say waterproof and gas-filled should be a definite yes since you're surrounded by water. You should also be sure you have a good strap to hang them around your neck. Not all binos come with a good one. 8 or 10 magnification are a pretty good mag for general use (a mix between good mag and not being too heavy/big.)

There are some great brands. Orion is very, very popular and Vortex is a great name - there are others (see Eagle Optics to get some ideas of the popular ones such as Nikon.) You can purchase fantastic $80 binoculars if your goal is one trip. You can also buy stellar $2200 binoculars (Swarovski, Zeiss)....

good luck in your decision!

Consider a monocular ... these are very compact, lightweight, and the perfect thing to put in your pocket for quick viewings.

I wouldn't go overboard on the specs. An 8 x 25 will be plenty powerful enough. Larger magnification will increase the amount of "shake" and larger lenses will gather more light under dim conditions but make the device much heavier and tiring to hold. Another spec you want to look at is the Field of View at 1,000 yards.

$225 will buy you a lot of optics, but you can get perfectly serviceable binocs in the <$50 range. Are these going to be a lifetime investment, something you will use every day to make a living, or are you just going to use it for a couple of weeks and then put them in a drawer for several decades?

No matter what you get, be sure it has dustcaps at both ends. A carrying case is nice to have, but not absolutely necessary, and will probably get in your way when you want to grab a quick viewing of something that will be gone in a flash. A neckstrap will keep those binoculars handy when you want to do something else with your hands, but not all devices have a loop to attach a strap.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check out some of the options. Good suggestion on getting two different magnifications, I would have just gotten two of the same kind and been done with it. These will mostly be used for wildlife/glacier/scenery viewing and will not be used with a tri-pod, so small and light are a consideration.

Go big or stay home
$image.jpg

Once in a lifetime cruise to Alaska to see stunning landscapes and wildlife deserves once in a lifetime optics. Don't cheap out, get some Steiners.

^This, or Nikon Monarch X's are good too. Don't skimp once you have them you'll use them, and they'll last a lifetime.

Top Bottom