What's new

Pens going for restoration

Over the past year or so I've picked up a few pens at the local antique mall, only one of which is in anything close to writing condition. I have considered many times attempting a restoration my self but common sense has finally won out and I will be sending the pens to someone who knows what they are doing.

Based on recommendations in this forum and others, earlier this evening I contacted Danny Fudge at thewritepen.com

I was very pleasantly surprised by the prompt response (about 15 min., after business hours!). I will be packing up my pens and shipping them this weekend. Keeping in mind I am no expert on pen identification, the pens are as follows:

- Esterbrook (J or SJ?) with a 9550 nib. This one writes but leaks and I LOVE the Extra Fine hard as a nail nib!
- Sheaffer Jr. Based on the (gold plated?) nib stamped Made in Canada, but I know nothing else
- Sheaffer. 14k nib (stamped 14k - 585 and 33), also made in Canada
- Epenco, nib stamped Maple Leaf

In keeping with the "Pic's or it didn't happen" mantra here are the before pics:
$Esterbrook.JPG$SheafferJr.JPG$Sheaffer.JPG$Epenco.JPG

I will post an update with after pics and writing samples when they are back.

Got them back! VERY happy with the work and service from Danny Fudge at thewritepen!

I've only inked one so far. I will post the rest as they get filled.

$FullSizeRender-3.jpg
The Pen is a Sheaffer and it's made in Canada. No clue on model of vintage. Thoughts so far...

Pen body MUCH smaller than what I prefer (and too small to actually fit in my hand, so this if the first pen I own that I need to post.
$FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Nib is fairly smooth and has a little flex. Apart from the size, I like it. Also, damn happy with the re-sack!

I had Danny restore a Sheaffer Crest snorkel pen that had belonged to my dad. I was very pleased with his work. He replies promptly to emails, has very reasonable prices, and has a quick turn around. I'd recommend him for sure.

For a small pen like that you put the cap on the back to make it longer.

or you are a giant.

lol - The pen is about 4 1/2 inches uncapped. So far, I do not post any of my other pens when writing but I will have to with this one.

Top Bottom