What's new

Nib Acquisitions, May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, RichieRich. I used an Aeromatic 51 for about 3 years in the mid to late 80s. Venerated though the 51 is today, i think i would prefer a slightly larger and more recent model. The 100 is my answer. :001_smile

Life has been epically bad for my wife an I for the last 6 months and we are not out of the woods yet but things are looking up. I woln't go into details and wine on but on the bright side I accepted an offer for my next job so I splurged a littl.....well a lot.

once I have been in the job successfully for 6months I plan to add a nakaya :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Life has been epically bad for my wife an I for the last 6 months and we are not out of the woods yet but things are looking up. I woln't go into details and wine on but on the bright side I accepted an offer for my next job so I splurged a littl.....well a lot.

once I have been in the job successfully for 6months I plan to add a nakaya :)

Good luck and best wishes on the new job and life looking up

Last edited by a moderator:
A Model 20 Marietta from Franklin-Christoph made its way to my mailbox this morning! I opted for a Masuyama medium italic steel nib. Now to decide which ink to use for the maiden voyage.

$fc20.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Nothing too fancy, but I bought my first Fisher space pen. I've always been curious about them, and wanted something for EDC that was small, since I dont wear shirts with pockets on my days off.

I like it. It feels like a solid little pen. I prefer the way the Parker gel ink refills, and FP's write, but it ticks the boxes for small. Should be good for jotting notes and things, I'm sure.

proxy.php

A Model 20 Marietta from Franklin-Christoph made its way to my mailbox this morning! I opted for a Masuyama medium italic steel nib....

Fantastic pen, isn't it? I got mine with a medium ss nib. The simple design of the pen (plus clip) is so appealing.

Enjoy it in great health.

Fantastic pen, isn't it? I got mine with a medium ss nib. The simple design of the pen (plus clip) is so appealing.

Enjoy it in great health.

I really like the simple design, small clip, and non-gold look. I'm moving away from gold-colored pens as I like the steel/Rhodium look more.

BIN counter-offer was close enough to my best offer that I accepted it, so I have a red/black Pelikan M400 on the way.

A Model 20 Marietta from Franklin-Christoph made its way to my mailbox this morning! I opted for a Masuyama medium italic steel nib. Now to decide which ink to use for the maiden voyage.

Masuyama makes some fantastic stubs as well. I had a B&B Essential pen with a medium round stub that was amazing to write with. Enjoy it!

I sold several pens I was not using. From that money I purchased two more Esterbrooks for a growing collection of Esterbrooks, the two new additions brings my Esterbrook number to eleven.

From a sale of Iroshizuku inks I picked three bottles, one has not arrived.

Attachments

• $IMG_0337.jpg
    $IMG_0337.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
a few days ago I acquired a Nussbaum Nicholas with a Knox nib and an Esterbrook J series with a 1551 nib (the olive colored one) via PIF. Today, I scored an Esterbrook J series with a 9556 nib at a local antique store.

$IMG_20150515_154246790.jpg

I think I forgot to post my Chicago Pen Show acquisitions here.

I had a wonderful time and met some wonderful people. Many of the vendors there were great to talk to. I had some great chats with most of them, especially Jerry Adair, Sam Highsmith, and Tim Pierson. Very gracious people and helped walk me through a lot of stuff.

Well, the pictures aren't great, but here's my purchases at the Pen Show:

Left to right:
Black 24 Pen Case - I picked it up used from Jerry Adair for a nice price. He had just emptied it out and didn't need it anymore. It's my first big(ger) pen case. I have a 2 pen one I use for work.
On top of that are two Clairfontaine Basics notebooks for testing pens and just general scratching around. Picked them and the two pen flush bulbs from Indy-Pen-Dance.
The two Paperblank journals - one of which will be a mother-in-law's Mother's day gift - the Diamine Burgundy Rose ink, and the 10/20X loupe were from the Andersons.
There were two storage boxes very cheap from Gary Lehrer. Super nice guy.

On to the pens.

From left to right is a Waterman Phileas Mechanical Pencil, a no-name fountain pen, Waterman Thorobred, Waterman 94, a Faber-Castel 5564, and a Wearever that needed a jewel and a clip.

The Waterman Phileas was from Sam Highsmith and was given to my 10 year old son. Sam is a wonderful man and I hope to be doing business with him again. Really enjoyed my conversations with him.
The no-name pen was a $10 bargain from someone, I forgot to get the name. It is a nice looking pen and bought with my 9 year old daughter in mind. She really loves it.

The next 3 pens were purchases for myself.

I picked up a Waterman Thorobred from Tim Pierson. It just jumped out to me and I had to try it out. It is an amazing writer and one of my first flex pens. It goes from f/m to b and back again. I really love the pen.

Next up is a Waterman 94 Persian from Jerry Adair. Another flex pen that I love writing with. I had never seen or tried a Waterman pen before the show and now own two of them. I also have found that it is not a pen brand that I can collect. Some of these things are very high dollar.

Last is a Faber-Castell 5564 Fine from Nathaniel Cerf. Very nice guy and as soon as I tried the pen out, it jumped into my pocket and came home with me.

Overall, I had a great time and would love to go back again. I'm just not sure my wallet is ready for it.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My sister gave me three older pen. They must be from 1958.

1. a Sheaffer : all green

2. Same: black and a steel top

3. Same: blur and a steel top

She messed up the blue one

The other two I am using them as dip pens, until I understand them.

Just a friendly warning to everyone. Do not go visit Brian and Lisa at Anderson Pen's. If you do, your wallet will be sorry.

They are running some clearance deals, some even too good for posting online, and after my wife loaded up the table, I had to get a few things myself.
She picked up a Blue Lamy Al-Star (not on sale) and some notebooks for the kids. I picked up a Rhodia notepad with a leather cover, some Visconti Red ink, and some Lamy Black.
They even had a great brown leather toiletry bag for some reason, but it looks and feels awesome, so that had to come home with me. There was a 4 pen holder as well that was a great deal.
Just a ton of great stuff.

And, while I was there, I had to get this....

It's a beautiful Ivory Delta Italiana with gold plated trim. Just a wonderful pen.

Also, while I was away at the Anderson's, a copper Esterbrook SJ with a 1551 nib appeared in my mailbox.

And, on the way home, I found a Sheaffer Balance? (with what I think is the wrong cap) with a 14k 33 nib. It says "350" below the Made in USA stamp, but I'm learning that isn't a model, but a price.

Also found a Permapoint from Eberhard Faber with a Faber Fine nib. Yes, it is related to Faber-Castell, but not the same company until the 80s.

Both of them sound like rattles, so I will try to restore these and see how well I can do.

Here is most of the end result of my wonderful Saturday.

Here's the 4 pen holder lined up for work today:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom