What's new

Does T&H 1805 soap not lather?

Do not have the 1805, but have a puck of T&H sandalwood from the begining of April.

I get great lather from the puck, easy to lather for me.

I put a little bit of warm water on my puck as my brush soaks.

I get out most of the water from my brush.

Pour off any water on the puck, and load up the brush with the soap.

Start to build it in a scuttle/bowl, and finish face-lathering. I can feel when it turns into a slick yogurt-like lather.

Will buy the T&H soap again.

Watch a couple of Nick shaves videos and you quickly see he does a lot of things wrong. T&H 1805 is a great soap that lasts an exceptionally long time but like all triple mills soaps, the puck greatly benefits from a soak to soften it and break it in.

The cream works great for me. I don't understand all the angst about lathering here. All you have to do is combine water with the soap/cream and swirl. It's really not a complex, multi-variable process.

Watch a couple of Nick shaves videos and you quickly see he does a lot of things wrong. T&H 1805 is a great soap that lasts an exceptionally long time but like all triple mills soaps, the puck greatly benefits from a soak to soften it and break it in.

This is the first video of his that I have watched (I don't watch many videos though) and he certainly displays a lack of expertise. I have heard many complaints about the T&H soaps, however, so I guess he isn't really harming an already poor reputation. I do own a Trumper Eucris soap which shares the same soap base and the lather is a bit foamy, but can be worked into a dense and stable enough lather for a good shave. Definitely not a soap I would recommend for those still learning (like Nick) but for shavers that have plenty of experience using various lathering techniques you will be able to get a workable lather out of these poorly formulated soaps.

The cream works great for me. I don't understand all the angst about lathering here. All you have to do is combine water with the soap/cream and swirl. It's really not a complex, multi-variable process.
First off, everyone's water isn't the same. Harder water doesn't lather as easily as softer water.

Second, different people learn differently. Some use the same approach for every soap without realizing that they're getting poor results because in some cases they need to change their technique a bit. Some really do need the assistance to get to where they can properly build lather. Some have trouble identifying what they're doing wrong.

Last edited:
Very much YMMV

Truefitt & Hill, Geo. F. Trumper soaps work very well for me. I have Sandalwood, Eucris, and Violet, I will be replenishing these.

The hard soaps last a long time, compared to soft soaps.

T&H Soaps are terrible, but creams are amazing

Just wanted to say, I agree (re the cream), but my personal experience with just one Truefitt & Hill hard soap, eg Luxury, has been totally positive.
Great scent, good lather and protection, very good after-the-shave skin feel.
As good, or better, than any other current British or French hard soap, even including DR Harris.
(And I've tried---and mostly enjoyed---a bunch of them over the past couple of years!)
My 2¢, FWIW, YMMV, yadda.

proxy.php

I find that on a triple milled soap, best is to let it bloom whilst in the shower, then you can go after it. I also find that on tripple milled soaps you will need a brush with some back bone to dig into the soap. IMHO

Based on some reading between the lines, I think it would be ok to say that the video dude should have let the puck soak a little bit before lathering. This is typically what I do anyways. BUT, we are talking about $25-30 USD soap here. I would like to think for that type of cost the thing should lather awesomely if you just look at it, no brush needed. I do note that La Toja will lather well with minimal effort. How does a $5-7 soap (or insert your favorite low cost soap brand here) outperform one costing 5X as much? Completely rhetorical question there but if you pay a premium you should get an excellent product.

I had a puck of the GFT Eucris and never could get a lather out of it, which was a pity because the scent is amazing. I got rid of it and then learned about the Marco Method. I wonder if that method would work on the hard English soaps? I sometimes think of trying Eucris again but then I think to myself that Tabac isn't nearly as temperamental and that notion goes away.

Based on some reading between the lines, I think it would be ok to say that the video dude should have let the puck soak a little bit before lathering. This is typically what I do anyways. BUT, we are talking about $25-30 USD soap here. I would like to think for that type of cost the thing should lather awesomely if you just look at it, no brush needed. I do note that La Toja will lather well with minimal effort. How does a $5-7 soap (or insert your favorite low cost soap brand here) outperform one costing 5X as much? Completely rhetorical question there but if you pay a premium you should get an excellent product.

It's all about what works for you. For a vast majority of us, even the most expensive soap isn't going to break the bank when you break it down by cost/shave, so it becomes more of using whatever product works for you. My two favorite soaps are Haslinger and Caties Bubbles. Sure CB is a little more pricey at $20 a tub, but for the results I get combined with the amount of product received, it's hard to beat for me. :thumbup:

I had a puck of the GFT Eucris and never could get a lather out of it, which was a pity because the scent is amazing. I got rid of it and then learned about the Marco Method. I wonder if that method would work on the hard English soaps? I sometimes think of trying Eucris again but then I think to myself that Tabac isn't nearly as temperamental and that notion goes away.

The hard English soaps last a long time. I used my GFT Violet for 3 weeks+ straight, and I could hardly see a reduction in the size of the puck.

Start little bit of warm water on the puck as my brush soaks (any where from 5 to 10 minutes).
Then shake out most of the water from the boar brush.
Pour off any water that remains on the puck, and load up the brush with the soap (about 30 seconds or so).
Start to build the lather in a scuttle. At first it does seem a little light and airy, but that will go away.
If you need water you can always drip a little in.
I finish building the lather on my face. Using a swirling motion at first, then paint-brush like stokes.
You will feel when it turns into a slick yogurt-like lather.

Worked well this morning (and yesterday) with a T&H Sandalwood.

They are worthwhile soaps to try, but as everything here YMMV, and they may not be the soap for you. The same as every soap.

If you look at the thread listing worst/most disappointing soaps, they are many favourites listed (Stirling, MWF, Cella, B&M etc).

The hard English soaps last a long time. I used my GFT Violet for 3 weeks+ straight, and I could hardly see a reduction in the size of the puck.

Start little bit of warm water on the puck as my brush soaks (any where from 5 to 10 minutes).
Then shake out most of the water from the boar brush.
Pour off any water that remains on the puck, and load up the brush with the soap (about 30 seconds or so).
Start to build the lather in a scuttle. At first it does seem a little light and airy, but that will go away.
If you need water you can always drip a little in.
I finish building the lather on my face. Using a swirling motion at first, then paint-brush like stokes.
You will feel when it turns into a slick yogurt-like lather.

Worked well this morning (and yesterday) with a T&H Sandalwood.

They are worthwhile soaps to try, but as everything here YMMV, and they may not be the soap for you. The same as every soap.

If you look at the thread listing worst/most disappointing soaps, they are many favourites listed (Stirling, MWF, Cella, B&M etc).

+1!!

Hey guys think its my first post here.

I had some bad experience with the sandalwood soap i couldn't get good lather.
Im not a shaving expert by any means but in the years a had a lot of different soaps and alway good make a proper lather some beter then others(accepts GFT soap same result as T&H), also the T&H cream are Wonderfull, but with the T&H sandalwood soap the lather was disappearing on my face before i even started the shave.

Then i decided to write a email to T&H and share my experience with them, the following email i got back from T&H:

Thank you for your email. I am sorry for the soaps performance.

We are currently reformulating this product to improve the amount of foam produced. The feedback on the current formulation has not been up our usual standard as you have also pointed out.
I would like to compensate you for the poor performing soap. Do you currently have an online account with us or do you purchase your products locally?

Once again my apologies and thank you for the feedback, we really do appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

It seem there are more complains and they are working on a new formula.
Im very impressed with the service of T&H and wil continu to use there products, i love there creams and aftershaves and hoop they make a soap that wil work good.

I thought i woud share this with you and sorry for my bad english im from Austria

Last edited:
Top Bottom