What's new

Toyota Tacoma recall?

I've heard from two different people that there is a huge recall of Toyota Tacomas built from 95-2000. Something due to rusting frames.

One guy is saying they give you a brand new truck, and I blew it off thinking that was ridiculous.

Then another guy said they are giving 1.5 times Kelly blue Book, regardless of condition, and adding another $1k if you buy another Tacoma.

Both seem overly generous on the surface.

Google searches show no 'official' recall I can find but several people claiming that they got 1.5 times KBB for their trucks. I have no way to know the veracity of those claims however.

I own a 2000 Tacoma which is on its last leg so this would be AWESOME for me but I remain skeptical.

I'll call the dealership tomorrow to inquire but curious if anyone knows about this

Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak:

http://blog.toyota.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html?no_prefetch=1

Seems you get a free inspection for rust damage to the frame. If you have damage, they they will repair it or buy it back from you valued in "excellent" condition, regardless of actual condition. If there is no damage, they won't buy it back, but they will extend the warranty for rust damage to 15 years from the original date of purchase. And the warranty covers any Tacoma owner, original buyer or otherwise.

I'm glad to see Toyota standing behind their products like this. I drive a Toyota Solara of the same vintage, and hope they do the same for my car if something comes up.

edit: They emphasize on the link above that this is not a recall, though it sounds to me to be more a matter of semantics than actual difference.

it sounds more like a voluntary recall,
theres a manufacturing defect, but its not serious enough to cause major damage, death or injury, probobly a issue with the coating/painting process for some parts,

the cars are 8 to 10 years old, taking responsability for a defect that old shows character, no wonder toyota is where it is,

The Japanese manufactures do have some rather good service when it comes to problems theyve created. I give them props for it.

the koreans are also pulling some decent warranties, but theres something wrong about the finish, the little details in the car,

I've heard from two different people that there is a huge recall of Toyota Tacomas built from 95-2000. Something due to rusting frames.

One guy is saying they give you a brand new truck, and I blew it off thinking that was ridiculous.

Then another guy said they are giving 1.5 times Kelly blue Book, regardless of condition, and adding another $1k if you buy another Tacoma.

Both seem overly generous on the surface.

Google searches show no 'official' recall I can find but several people claiming that they got 1.5 times KBB for their trucks. I have no way to know the veracity of those claims however.

I own a 2000 Tacoma which is on its last leg so this would be AWESOME for me but I remain skeptical.

I'll call the dealership tomorrow to inquire but curious if anyone knows about this

How many miles have you got on your tacoma?. Toyota's are normally strong runners with proper maintenence.

Top Bottom