What's new

Washing yourself

I currently keep four bars of soap at my bathroom sink ...
I choose which one to use depending on how I'm feeling at the moment,
and what activities I have planned for later.

Neutrogena Original Formula ... great as a pre-shave.
Bee & Honey Ginseng ... Energizing.
Bee & Honey Rose ... it just flat-out smells good.
Yardley English Lavender ... perfect for relaxing and unwinding after work.

Its not unusual that I would use more than one of these during the same wash.

In the shower, I like the English Lavender ... also assorted body washes, especially when they match the brand of soap/ASL/EdC I'm shaving with that day.

And I also keep Trader Joe's TeaTree Oil soap on hand, but its not in current rotation.

Axe bodywashes or the new Irish Springs bodywash and a loofa. There is another I've tried called Alpine Xtreme (you can find it in Walmart) that is OK.
The specific ones:
Axe Peace, Axe Sports Blast, Axe Snake Peal, Axe Night, Alpine Xtreme Mountain Stream and Irish Springs GEAR. I've used Gear a lot lately due to sunburn.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
rboyd:
My vote is for Cetaphil[SUP]®. [/SUP]Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar (Normal Skin). In 2007, my dermatologist recommended this soap to me for my dry and sensitive skin. I use it in the shower, as a twice daily face wash and I'm totally satisfied with the great results. It's a very "effective cleanser that removes surface bacteria and oils...plus provides [the] skin with unique, dual-action moisturizing and deodorant benefits in a mild, non-soap formulation". :thumbsup:

attachment.php

Read More: http://www.cetaphil.com/body-cleansers

proxy.php
"Everyone who's ever taken a shower has an idea. It's the person who gets out of the shower, dries off and does something about it who makes a difference". Nolan Bushnell

I use soap. If it isn't made from saponified fats (fat + [sodium / potassium] hydroxide) then I won't buy it.

I personally like olive oil soaps, but some people find them a little slimy without a washcloth. Kiss My Face & Papoutsanis made a nice olive oil soap. Coconut oil soaps foam up really well and Kirk's Coco Castile Soap is reasonably priced and widely available. It makes a great hand soap because it isn't slimy like olive oil soaps. My favorite is African Black Soap, I buy it in bulk. It is a soft soap and has bits of ash and other things in it. It can be a little drying, but seems to help keep my skin from being too oily.

I hear the most manly smelling soap out there is Grandpa's pine tar. I haven't tried it yet.

Irish Springs bodywash and a loofa. I find that bodywash works best. The Irish Springs bar I love the smell but it drys my skin.

I look at the ingredients in a bar of shower soap and if it's a mile long with things I can pronounce I just skip it. This eliminates 95% of the mass produced soaps out there. I look for soaps that have all natural ingredients instead because why put all of those chemicals on me when I don't have to.

I've ordered a bunch of soaps online looking for something great (the Nancy Boy Signature Scent soaps are excellent) but they can be pricey ($7 a bar, large bars though) and then there's the shipping on top of that. I've tried soaps from WSP (very strongly scented but a softer soap, you might like these soaps for a manly scent the Mahogany was really nice), Tiki (tried a sample and it was ok, but didn't really stand out as anything special), Sudsy Soapery (nice soaps here, sold by the oz.), and several others but I don't really want my shower soap to be expensive. I've found there are fairly inexpensive options available even at the local WalMart.

For example, I really like Kirk's Castile soap. It's a faint coconut scent that's basically scentless and it's not full of all the other chemicals I don't want. It's slightly over a buck a bar and I keep coming back to this soap even after trying more expensive ones. It lathers great and I really enjoy it.

Yardley soap is easily available at WalMart as well as dollar stores for about buck a bar and comes in something like 4 or 5 scents that you don't really smell at all after your shower.

I still do try new soaps from time to time but none have impressed me enough to get me away from the Kirk's soap.

So I'd grab some Kirk's Castile for an every day soap and maybe pick up some WSP soaps to try out for something strongly scented and manly.

Last edited:
Mysore Sandalwood Soap. I really like the way it cleans and my skin doesn't feel as dry. I also use Yardley soaps for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at the ingredients in a bar of shower soap and if it's a mile long with things I can pronounce I just skip it. This eliminates 95% of the mass produced soaps out there. I look for soaps that have all natural ingredients instead because why put all of those chemicals on me when I don't have to.

For example, I really like Kirk's Castile soap. It's a faint coconut scent that's basically scentless and it's not full of all the other chemicals I don't want. It's slightly over a buck a bar and I keep coming back to this soap even after trying more expensive ones. It lathers great and I really enjoy it.

Yardley soap is easily available at WalMart as well as dollar stores for about buck a bar and comes in something like 4 or 5 scents that you don't really smell at all after your shower.

I still do try new soaps from time to time but none have impressed me enough to get me away from the Kirk's soap.

So I'd grab some Kirk's Castile for an every day soap and maybe pick up some WSP soaps to try out for something strongly scented and manly.

+1 Soap should be made out of soap (saponified oils) not chemicals. Kirk's Castile is great stuff. Very dense lather, feels nice on the hands, does a great job on my hair, and smells great even in unscented version. I also like KMF soaps. The olive oil one comes in an unscented 3-pack for about the same price as 3 bars of Kirk's. You need a washcloth or something else to get a good lather out of it (olive oil soaps always feel a little slimy in the hand), but it is wonderful and smells faintly of green fresh olives.

I tried Grandpas's pine tar soap recently. Quality stuff. I even got a decent shave (7/10) with it. Smells like tarry lapsang souchong tea (smokey & rubbery) or a burning pine forest. Makes me want to wear flannel and grab an axe. Lathers real nice. Scent lasts on skin for about an hour, and all day on hair. A little more expensive than my normal soaps, but I do like it.

Been using Woody's Hair and Body Shampoo Bar for a couple years now. Great performance and seems well suited to my skin type and body chemistry.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For the last years we are using Penhaligon's Quercus bars as our soap in the shower, I bought a lot of it when it was on sale for a very good price a couple of years ago. It does not contain any animal products, important for my wife as she is a militant vegan....

This is what I'm using currently - the bar is huge and lasts for months. And it's pretty manly.
My brother gifted me a Duke Cannon set last year. The huge bar of soap, the shaving cream, and the 2-n-1 Shampoo/Conditioner.

I didn't particularly care for the shaving cream. I used it several times but couldn't seem to get a close shave from it.

The soap was OK, nothing special. I took a kitchen knife and cut the bar down into more manageable pieces, about 2 oz. each. I used 1 of them and then put the rest of the soap and shave-cream into a pass-around box.

I do like the shampoo, though. It has a nice crisp smell and does a good job keeping my hair clean and manageable.

Top Bottom