What's new

Single Edge Suggestions!

I have an extensive collection of DE razors, but I don't have any SER:001_huh:

What would be a good SE to add to the stable?

I like them on the heavy side. Also, accessibility to good blades is a most.

Thanks gents!

I'd say a Gem Bullet-Tip or a G-Bar or Push-Button are nice choices for getting into SE shaving.

Relatively tame and forgiving razors with some heft that will give a nice close long lasting shave that's smooth and comfortable.

They all take modern blades that are reasonably easy to find. Some drugstores still carry them and they can be had online easily.

Be warned that first shave or two on a new blade can be harsh.

Yeah, If you like a razor with a bit of weight to it the GEM Bullet Tip and the GEM G Bar are nice choices for getting into SE shaving......
They are lovely shavers ........:w00t::w00t:

Gem G-Bar. One of the coolest-looking and nimble razors ever made. Cheap and readily available on that auction site. Also, investigate Schick injectors...everyone has to have an injector.

Thanks gents, I am going to take a look a the ones that have been recommended. I just want a little change in my shaving routine from time to time:001_smile

1912 ... all comparisons to, from, about and around single edge razors revolve around the 1912. Start with the de facto.

Have fun!

"Be warned that first shave or two on a new blade can be harsh."

i saw saw a neat trick on a shaving video that helps this a lot. Keep a wine cork handy and slice each edge of a new blade once gently through the cork before your first shave. It takes off the "debris" left by the sharpening process, like honing. Makes a big difference.

"Be warned that first shave or two on a new blade can be harsh."

i saw saw a neat trick on a shaving video that helps this a lot. Keep a wine cork handy and slice each edge of a new blade once gently through the cork before your first shave. It takes off the "debris" left by the sharpening process, like honing. Makes a big difference.

That's an interesting idea I'll have to try that.

Gives me an excuse to buy some wine too.

:biggrin1:

Don't forget injectors! The Schick Type G is spectacular. If you want something on the more aggressive side, try a Type E. And the Pal Injecto-Matic is a great little performer. If you try one, just remember these things weigh next to nothing, so you can't just let the weight of the razor do the work. You will have to apply a wee bit of pressure, so pay attention and use just the right amount. And a bonus is that these guys are still cheap!

I vote for the Schick injectors and the PAL Injecto-matic. If you can't use a lighter razor, then I would go for the 1912.

I wish you had told us is your beard light or coarse? I'm going to guess coarse, since you mentioned a preference for "heavy razors."

Lessee, heavy SE razors for a coarse beard. Hmmm.

Gem Micromatic Open Comb

Gem "Heavy Flat Top" aka "G Bar"

1912 Ever-Ready

1924 Ever-Ready aka "Shovelhead"

In my experience, these SE razors perform better with Personna blades available on the 'net, than with the CVS Personna-made blades.

You want, no, you *need* a 1912. Gem, Ever-Ready, Star - doesn't matter which one you start with, as you'll likely end up with several.

The 1912 is the benchmark. When someone is discussing another SE, it is inevitably compared to the 1912. If nothing else, you need a 1912, even if you only shave with it a few times, just so you can follow the discussions.

As a bonus, they happen to be fine razors.

--Bob

Pick any good condition GEM, or EverReady, or Injector....face it over time your going to get one of each anyway :lol:

Top Bottom