What's new

Brick and mortar stores in England with a website

One of my best friends is going to England next week and I thought I would have her pick up some supplies for me. I have a few questions. Is it cheaper to buy the items I want in England as opposed to here in the statesvia mail order? I'm assuming there might be taxes going through customs and in the long run the savings would be neglible.. I'm definitely going to ask her to pick up some TOBS which I love.. Other than that what else should I consider? Also, preferable would be locations in the London area. Thanks

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This should help: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/England_Shopping_and_Suppliers

I doubt that you would get a better deal than being in a shop directly. Meaning, stuff like the Boots shave stick would be cheaper in store. Same goes for Palmolive shave stick. As for custom, depends how much you bring back but I don't think that they would charge an arm and a leg for a couple of shaving items...

You may not save much, if anything, on TOBS. Last time I was in London the high-end creams and soaps were a little more expensive than the best available deals in the USA. However the exchange rate has moved a bit since then. Either way Luc is absolutely right about the mass-market stuff. Customs should not be a problem: I think the allowance is $100 or so?

Have you considered a talc or two? Not a liquid, which is nice for air travel. Talcs can be a cost-effective way to sample a scent, and last time I looked they tended to be a little bit cheaper in London than in the USA. I ended up with one from TOBS and one from D.R. Harris.

I would rather have your friend relax and enjoy her time in London and maybe pick you up a t-shirt if she sees something interesting. Shopping online these days means that prices are not hugely different from one country to another.

I would rather have your friend relax and enjoy her time in London and maybe pick you up a t-shirt if she sees something interesting. Shopping online these days means that prices are not hugely different from one country to another.
I'm spending £58.00 at TOBS excluding VAT. That's four creams and a cologne. I'll save around $35 give or take vs ordering online.

She would be really nice to spend some of time shopping for you! My reco would be Taylor of Old Bond St on Jermyn St, just behind Fortnum and Mason (where she will enjoy shopping on her own)!
The Tobs store often has store-only sales and merchandise not seen on their web site. For instance, a year ago I got four tubes of shave cream for £15. Keep in mind the need to spend some airport time on return to apply for VAT refund, but I think there is a minimum spend of £100 or so (not sure)!
two other recos would be any Penhaligons boutique and DR Harris, both in Picadilly area, because of good selections.
Colognes might be a good target purchase, due to UK mail restrictions.
i found the prices and selection in Trumpers and T&H to be about same as online vendors.

proxy.php

I was in London for four days at the end of March. One afternoon I got to take some time to explore shops around Jermyn St. Apart from window shopping, I only had time for quick visits to Trumper, Floris, & Taylor. I agree that most things looked to be about the same as online. I did see the signs in TOBS for their Winter Promotion (see the picture below) and walked away with a tube of St James shaving cream and Jerymn St. moisturizer on sale. Because of time constraints, I didn't get much chance to dig deeper to see if there were other deals.$Poland-England 2015 529.jpg

My trip to London this week was an unfruitful one regarding shaving gear. I was too busy running around with my friends. I checked a couple of Indian owned shops, but they didn't have anything worth buying, some Tabac stuff, but that was it.

I need my wife with me, she is my enabler in chief.

Top Bottom