What's new

**CLOSED** PIF: - Gold Dollar 100, Shave Ready, for a new straight shaver - CONUS

My friend phat and I have become honing buddies on a pair of Gold Dollar 100 razors that we had received with a factory edge. Both of these razors arrived able to butter your toast, but little more. We have sent these razors back and forth having each of us try out the edge the other has put on it. Up for give away to a new straight razor shaver within the continental United States is the razor that I had purchased and honed. This razor has become quite the world traveler as phat took this with him to Australia and even shaved with it on the beach.

The rules are simple, if you are new to straight razors (have none) and you want to give it a go, simply state that you are in. Also, if you are new to straight razors, and you need a backup razor for when your primary razor is out for honing or you just need to have a shave ready razor to assess the sharpness of your primary razor (already have one), simply state that you are in. You can read all about our honing adventures with these razors at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...at-Gold-Dollar-Honing-Experiment-and-Practice

Here is a picture of the phat GD100 and my GD 100 side by side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A random number generator will be used to select the winning post. This PIF is only for residents of the Continental United States. All others can get in on phat's pif which is open to the rest of the world OCONUS. This PIF will close at noon on Monday, May 4. The winner will need to PM or email me their physical address and I will ship them the razor. Remember if you win, you will require a strop to maintain your razor which can be found at various suppliers at reasonable costs for beginners.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I'm in. I'll give it a try. The thing I have is a Fromm, which is only for barbers . I just read that it is not really a straight razor.

Count me in please. I've only tried a hair shaper. Which apparently works best to shape hair not shave hair.

I've never tried straight razor shaving and have wanted to since I discovered DE shaving. I'm in. Thanks

I'm in!

Closests I have is an R41 DE but I always wanted to try a properly sharpened straight, maybe that will motivate me to start up a new collection and a way to shave.

I'm in!
I actually have to razors that I got last week. One is a Gold Dollar 66 that came with a set of Norton stones that I purchased, this had the factory edge and I have tried to put a decent edge on it. It seems to work. The other is an old vintage Wade and Butcher that said it had been shave tested, but wasn't sharp enough to shave for me. Again, I used the Norton stones and a balsa strop from Whipped Dog with both Chromium Dioxide and Ferric oxide abrasives. Both razors seem to work, but since these are my first, I don't know what a true shave ready edge is like. I don't know if I am doing s good job at honing these or if I would be better off getting them professionally honed. I am planning on purchasing either a new blade from one of the stores that have a honemeister or a blade from one of the Hobbyists on this site later this summer.

Thanks,
Herb

Top Bottom