What's new

Seriously depressing shave brush experience this morning

So, I just finish having a fabulous shave with my G.B. Kent & Sons Badger Bristle Brush with this beautiful butterscotch marble swirl bakelite handle and after rinsing the bristles thoroughly I start flicking out the excess water. Next thing I know I have just flicked off the top half of my brush across the bathroom floor :cursing: !!!

$P1060828.jpg$P1060829.jpg

So, now I am not certain what to do. I doubt I can simply epoxy the two halves together and have any hope that the two halves will not fly apart again. Given how beautiful a badger hair knot this brush has, I am leaning towards transplanting it into a new handle.

What do you guys think? If I do go the transplant route, I might like to consider having it placed into a custom handle. Who might you suggest I "commission" for such a project?

Tim

Best wishes to you - it looks like a very nice brush.

Wolf Whiskers may also be able to help. Or other members who do custom brushes. I don't know enough about brushes to know if the handle is salvageable or about knot transplants.

If it's a clean break you might be able to have it put back together. Rudy would be a good choice to send it to and get his opinion. If he can't fix it then he can get a new handle for you.

Good luck.

InNae

You can epoxy that back together. The trick will be to come up with a clamping mechanism to hold the two parts together as the epoxy cures. Keeping them pressed tightly together and properly aligned you should end up with a very small hairline crack that is hardly noticeable.

I say you've got nothing to lose in trying to epoxy it. If it doesn't work, you can still rescue the knot for another handle.

Is that the original knot? Tragic either way.

If it were mine I would contact Rudy Vey.

Yes, the knot is original. I began looking into how I could reconnect the two halves of the brush and the remainder of the handle literally disintegrated.

So, now I have just the knot, but it is a gorgeously dense best (I assume) badger with an old-style metal ringed base of about 24mm -

View attachment 568090

Tim

Best wishes to you - it looks like a very nice brush.

Wolf Whiskers may also be able to help. Or other members who do custom brushes. I don't know enough about brushes to know if the handle is salvageable or about knot transplants.

Now that all I am left with is the knot itself Peter Wolf and I have exchanged a few emails. I am hoping to move forward with transplanting this knot into one of Peter's "Tuxedo" style handles with the "View from Hubble" color theme -

View attachment 568096View attachment 568097View attachment 568098

First things first though, I have to get on his project list.

Tim

The bottom half of that brush looks nice and solid. You could save that and make or salvage a new ferrule for the top half.
Good luck.

Top Bottom