What's new

Dry scalp skin, but not dandruff. What can I do?

i get these miniscule white flakes of late. probably started in the last year or two. can't really nail down why it happened though i did start using more product and always take super hot showers.

regardless, there are tiny flakes that gross me out and are embarassing. but i do NOT think it is dandruff from the research that i have done.

have any of you suffered through a similar issue and figured out a solution?

I did. I started using a shampoo bar instead of liquid shampoo (for reference, I use the Mystic bars) and it's noticeably better.

From your description it may be dry scalp. I believe I had this too. For years I shampooed daily but as I got older my scalp began to dry out. But I use a pomade/brilliantine combination on my hair every day and rinse it out at night before retiring for bed. This can act like a shampoo - even if you don't rinse nightly. The effect (in my case) was like I was shampooing twice a day which caused dry scalp.

The solution for me was to shampoo once a week and while I shower daily I only rinse my hair in the shower each day. This has eliminated any dry scalp issues.

Also super-hot water can cause or contribute to dry scalp issues. You can try only rinsing and/or less hot water to help.

Takes a bit getting used to but it's more like breaking old habits. Once accomplished I think your scalp may thank you.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Basically dandruff is dry scalp with an oily complexion. Try using a selenium sulfide lotion. In India we get it as "Selsun". Wouldn't be sure of the brands abroad tho....

I had a similar problem with dry and itchy scalp. Purchased some Jeris hair tonic without oil at the local Sallys. Began applying it daily and the itchy feeling went away quickly, the dry feeling is no longer present after a few weeks of use with this product. My hair looks better, more shine and actually the color seems deeper also. Impressed enough to purchase another bottle soon.

I had s dandruff problem a few years ago. Was not reacting to normal dandruff shampoos. It was very itchy. The dark blue head and shoulders bottle was the only one that worked.

Eventually, I started buzzing all my hair off with no guard. Probably 1/16 inch. That was a few years ago, and I have never had a problem since. I don't even use dandruff shampoo anymore. My scalp is very healthy now. I have no idea why though.

Once a week, massage unrefined shea butter and/or olive oil into your scalp and let sit for one hour prior to washing. You can modify this ritual to accommodate your schedule by doing it on your day off if you are rushed in the morning, etc..

I have very thick hair and have been fighting this since I was a kid.

The first thing I would try is just rotate your shampoo. If I buy shampoo at a regular store I will have two different ones and just alternate them on a daily basis. It just seems to cut down on the build up that some shampoos leave behind. It is a simple to do and seems to work for any shampoos that I would buy at the store. I don't use conditioners for the same reason as it tends to increase the build up and residue left behind.

My second reccomendation is try and find a tee tree oil based shampoo. I have been using them for years and they work great. I was using Jason Natural Tea Tree Shampoo because a local drug store sold it. When they stopped selling it I found an alternative at a local boutique store where I buy my Kiss My Face shaving cream its called BWC (Beauty Without Cruelty) Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Shampoo. They have a conditioner as well if you choose to use it. I really like this stuff, the smell is not like your typical shampoo. The combination smells kinda like lime with sage mixed it. Its just nice to come out of the shower not smelling like a coconut. The shampoo also has a little witch hazel in it so if you shower after you shave it could help to fight off a little razor burn, just an added benefit.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php/94643-Bhugo? Bhugo suggestion about short hair might be spot on as well. It is kind of funny but I ted to keep my hair very short as well. I normally do a 1/4" on top and shorter on the sides. I think you do have something there I have been doing this for years and it might help too.

Good luck and hope that might help give you a few ideas.

Last edited:
I too suffer from some dandruff. Sorry , but that is dry, flaky scalp by definition. I have started using a coal tar shampoo and following the directions on the bottle. It has worked well so far. Drug stores sell it

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Try rinsing in apple cider vinegar, it helped me.

This and Neutrogena T-Gel.

And the key is to leave the Neutrogena in and let it work. I lather my hair, then go about the rest of my business and rinse the shampoo last. Then a spray bottle with roughly 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water. Spritz it on my head, rub it around, and then rinse.

I was having dry scalp for a year or so and couldn't figure out how to stop it. Tried t gel, coal tar , head and shoulders etc. they seemed to slow it down but it would always come back . I even started to get a mild psoriasis on my scalp sometimes and my scalp would be itchy. I tried a Shea butter shampoo from loccitane and it really helped but the flakes were still there. Started to wash my hair every other day and it seemed to be better but still there.started to read about sls and sles and decided to go try a chagrin valley shampoo bar. Tea tree and neem soothed the irritation but seemed to give me a touch of dermatitis. Maybe I'm getting an allergy to tea tree or neem, or maybe my scalp was adjusting to the natural soap but I switched to their herb garden bar. My hair and scalp have never been better. After about three weeks my scalp feels awesome , my hair looks healthier and no more flakes.

Go see a dermatologist. I suffered from dandruff for most of my teen years. Nothing helped. That was because it was not dandruff. I am allergic to the yeast that naturally grows on my skin. Need special shampoo from the doc for that.

what every you do, do not use "specialized shampoos" like ketoconazole. Its like expecting a moisturizing lather from a pressurized can.

Just until recently I had the exact same problem. What helped me a lot was getting hold of a gentle all natural shampoo AND conditioner (Etsy is awesome). Also your hair and scalp are probably being stripped of their natural oils, as crazy as it sounds we dont really need to shampoo and condition daily. I shampoo and condition omce or twice a week and my hair and scalp both feel healthy, I just scrub my scalp with my fingers in the shower thoroughly exfoliating as much as I can without irritating myself. If this method is too "intense" for you then try using less and less shampoo and try not to take super hot showers. Also don't forget to drink plenty of water throught the day. Anywho This is what helped me out, your results may vary but im almost certain it will help in one way or another :)

Also I take cold showers (not as bad as it seems!) And I feel like it leaves my skin, hair and scalp feeling much better than hot a showers do

what every you do, do not use "specialized shampoos" like ketoconazole. Its like expecting a moisturizing lather from a pressurized can.

Actually, this is what I was prescribed. The doctor told me specifically, the shampoo "is not very moisturizing". He gave me that smile. It is drying, but since I do not suffer from dry skin, I have an allergic reaction, it works for me.

i get these miniscule white flakes of late. probably started in the last year or two. can't really nail down why it happened though i did start using more product and always take super hot showers.

have any of you suffered through a similar issue and figured out a solution?

Yes, I have. It turned out to be the hot showers. That's not good for you. The temperature should be lukewarm at highest. Just warm enough to not be chilly on a winter's day. And, in the hottest months, should be on the cooler side. This should take care of the problem. Also, the suggestion of switching to a bar is another one that I followed, as well. Both of these things together, along with using a good conditioner, got my hair back to 80's greatness.

Top Bottom