What's new

The "best" hair clippers for home/DIY use? Andis vs. Wahl vs Oster

Malocchio, how do you know when the brushes need to be replaced? (I assume the need to change the cord and switch are self-evident.) And where did you have it serviced? Did you send it to Oster, or take it to a local servicer? I'm just wondering when I'll have to start thinking about maintenance, and how to handle it when it does. So far, at six years, mine still runs like a top.
I found youtube videos from a few guys that seem like they know what they're doing, and they discuss 76 maintenance. They covered lubrication, changing the brushes, and how to know when brushes need to be changed, VERY easy to perform.
https://youtu.be/zErMj5c1G74

I just checked, and my Andis Master combs do fit the 76 blades, but they don't fit as flush as on the Andis itself. This is because the two screws on the back of the 76 blades stick up above the top blade, whereas they're sunk on the Andis, to allow for the comb. I haven't tried using the combs on the 76 to see how they work. IMO, the combs sort of defeat the purpose of having interchangeable blades anyway. Those blades are really precise, and don't leave stray hairs like combs often do. It might cost a bit more, but if I felt the need for variable lengths, I'd just buy the right size blades, rather than use combs - at least for use on my head. For body grooming, combs work fine. I still use my Andis for that purpose.
I bought a 76 today, and just like you said they fit, but it wasn't as secure as the fitting on the Andis. I pulled the trigger on a few blades so I should be good until my next bout of OAD lol

Malocchio, how do you know when the brushes need to be replaced? (I assume the need to change the cord and switch are self-evident.) And where did you have it serviced? Did you send it to Oster, or take it to a local servicer? I'm just wondering when I'll have to start thinking about maintenance, and how to handle it when it does. So far, at six years, mine still runs like a top.
...........I have mine serviced locally by a clipper shop that sells and repairs,however there are many independent repairmen on youtube that will do a fine job,probably much less than sending it to the factory authorized shop.You will get a different "feeling" when the brushes are worn,and you can replace them yourself easily,again ,the tutorials are on youtube,parts are sold online by many barber supply stores. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F6L824S_Js

Attachments

• $clipper.jpg
    $clipper.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 151
Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but I'll put in a good word for Remington. We have one that's given us at least ten years of good service. It does have a fader handle.

i figured this thread deserved an update.

i went with the wahl senior clipper. really enjoying it so far EXCEPT for one thing. the 1.5" guide comb does not sit securely to the blade. i still need to figure that issue out.

my andis t-outliners have been working great too!

i went with the wahl senior clipper. really enjoying it so far EXCEPT for one thing. the 1.5" guide comb does not sit securely to the blade. i still need to figure that issue out.

Pop in to an old fashioned barber shop,and show the barber your clipper ,they will point out the problem.Some of these blade guards are a very tight fit.

the wahl 1.5 guide comb is defective idk why wahl doesn't fix it i have the senior clipper i hardly ever use the wahl 1.5 if i do im very careful so it don't fall off some ppl heat up the clip part and bend it in so it sits a little more secure but i use the red speedo guide instead it sits better than the wahl clip

wahl must have seen this they fixed the problem and redesigned their clips they are def wayyyy better than the older ones they call em premium clipper guards

the wahl 1.5 guide comb is defective idk why wahl doesn't fix it i have the senior clipper i hardly ever use the wahl 1.5 if i do im very careful so it don't fall off some ppl heat up the clip part and bend it in so it sits a little more secure but i use the red speedo guide instead it sits better than the wahl clip

wahl must have seen this they fixed the problem and redesigned their clips they are def wayyyy better than the older ones they call em premium clipper guards

what guards will fit the wahl senior other than the ones that come with it? i'd love to use the andis nano but i dont think they'll work.

The Karmin T70 is the best :thumbup:

I have been shaving my head with the cheap wahl color clippers using the shortest guard. I do it myself so using the guard helps with protecting from cutting myself.

I would like to start going shorter without the guard but want something that is safe for me to use myself without cutting my head up.

What would recommendations be? I see someone mention the 76's and then someone just mention the Karmon t70.....I'm not too worried about price but have been looking at those two along with the and is t outliner with t blade as well

Any help? Recommendations would be appreciated ! Thanks

I picked up the Oster Volt's about 2 years ago and LOVE them. If you spend $10 a cut it's pretty easy to justify a nice pair of cordless clippers. We also have a golden retriever and german shepherd that we use them on. Great blades and awesome clippers.

I got the oster 76 clippers a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. After years of using the 20 dollar clippers I wish I had just bought these to start with. Can't even compare how the two cut. The 76's just slice through the hair and they don't leave the hair uneven like the 20 dollar clippers do.

I got the oster 76 clippers a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. After years of using the 20 dollar clippers I wish I had just bought these to start with. Can't even compare how the two cut. The 76's just slice through the hair and they don't leave the hair uneven like the 20 dollar clippers do.

Do they nick your head at all?

My daughter is a hair dresser and she says the 76 Classic is the only way to go.
@skypsyd

Could you tell her that I would be doing the cutting myself and want to make sure that I keep the Knicks to a minimum lol...I don't need it skin tight, just close without a guard and safely done on my own lol
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom