What's new

Have you ever dropped your Razor?

I've never dropped a safety razor but I have dropped a straight razor on two occasions.

First time I got the hell out of the way and watched as the razor fell to the floor. It's a sick feeling but I was lucky and the razor only incurred a small chip on the point. I was able to round the point a little and you can't even tell that it ever happened. I've seen pics of razors after drops and it's not pretty so I got off really easy.

The second time I dropped my favorite razor and didn't want it to hit the floor. I knew I was going to get cut but I stuck my hand out to slow it's fall and it slid to a nice gentle stop undamaged in the sink. I knew not to try and catch it but I was successful in slowing it's fall and redirecting it to the sink. I can't say the same for my hand though as I got a nice one inch long fairly deep slash at the base of my thumb next to the palm of my hand. No stitches just some steri-strips and I still have a nice scar from it. It wasn't a reflex, I had time to pull away and it was a conscious decision on my part to sacrifice myself. I remember thinking there's no doubt I'm getting cut if I do this, but I made the choice and I did it anyway.

I wouldn't recommend catching a straight razor and would likely let it fall if it happened again.

Conventional wisdom is NEVER try to catch a falling razor, unless one wants to risk a nasty cut to the hand.

I dropped my razor the other day. It was a falling object and I instintively caught it... There's a little slice in my finger to prove it. This was my first mishap with the safety razor and I'm sure it wont be my last

Are the Merkur plates also made of zamac? Other than the old Gillettes and the Feather AS-D2, what are some others that are all stainless steel?

Yeah, the Merkur are also zamac heads. In non-zamac, I've got:

Feather AS-D1 (all stainless)
Feather AS-D2 (all stainless)
Weber DLC (all stainless with DLC coating on the head)
Weber PH (all stainless)
Schick Krona (nickel plated over brass, I think)
Gillette black beaty (nickel plated over brass, I think).

Interesting experiences. Vintage Brass or Stainless razors often hold up well to drops and abuse. Modern Zamak, not so. No surprise there, I guess.

When I first started DE shaving, I did not even know what Zamak was, let alone that most modern razors were made of it verses most vintage razors were made of brass. Quite thankful to this forum for shining the light on the issue early on and steering me away from new, shiny Zamak razors. All my razors in use today are Vintage Gillettes.

Last edited:
Dropped my short Mergress a couple of years ago. Got a small ding on the adjustment knob that worked out with use. Only one to do that to, the handles when soapy are slick. Learned the trick was to rinse it more often in cold water and have been careful since.

I was shaking the water from my EJ DE89 when I first got it when it slipped from my hand - the thing went full tilt into the tiled floor. All I can see is a slight dent in the barrel but I have to say I never got a good shave from it. I''ll never know if the fall somehow brought the head out of kilter or something but it is probably the least favorite razor I have. I find it a very uncomfortable shave for me regardless of blade.

Yes.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, Viceguy. Looks like you were performing your own open heart surgery. What razor was dropped to cause such damage?

Yikes, Viceguy. Looks like you were performing your own open heart surgery. What razor was dropped to cause such damage?

Barbe Bleue Model X a/k/ BBX -- guardless DE, so blade is totally exposed. :scared:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The only razor that I ever dropped was a Muhle R106. In fact, I dropped it several times because the handle was so slick. This allowed chlorine from my water to seep underneath the plating, and the Muhle slowly turned grey-black on the underside of the safety bar. I eventually tossed it in the trash.

Interesting razor there, Viceguy. I first thought you had dropped a straight razor when I saw the picture but I guess that slice and dicer is not that far off. You would think they would have at least put better grip on that bad boy. Whatever floats your boat as they say but thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom